Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

damn missed it tonight... it'll be on youTube.

I watched that 'Commando' documentary though. Excellent stuff. Really interesting once they go to Afghanistan especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Excellent episode. He really does get into the thick of it. I wonder is he jeapordising the safety of the soldiers. I presume not,they obviously had it well planned and thought through before he was allowed to go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

"Lane 12, 18 points....SAS my arse" :D

Enjoyed that!

Episode repeated last night on Sky1 at 11PM. Kemp seemed very scared,as you would be,fair play to him and any other journalist doing that out there. As he said himself his blue helmet and plain fatigues make him stand out amongst the camoed troopers.
    Lots of small arms fire and the odd whoosh of what I presume was an RPG. One scene had him lying awkwardly on ground with trooper firing SA80 about 3-4 about his head.
    Later he points points out the (2 foot diameter)impacts of .30 cal Apache cannon fire on the mud wall of one of the compounds,it didn't penetrate,now thats is solidly built. (I assume the mud rapidly absorbed and dissipated the energy of the round and stops it)

Am currently reading a book on the 2 Para tour in the same place during summer 2006 (Camp Bastion, Green zone, Sangin etc) Very interesting to actually see the places mentioned in the book.

Would like to see that Chris Tirell doc. "Commandos" you say? Saw a bit of the Green Beret National Geo as well. Enjoyed it.

Commandos is on this site mate
    http://www.youtube.com/user/oddball71

It's just called 'Commando 1 1/4' (for example). I watched it the other day, excellent stuff. Gets really good once he goes to Afghanistan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

Bramble wrote: »

Am currently reading a book on the 2 Para tour in the same place during summer 2006 (Camp Bastion, Green zone, Sangin etc) Very interesting to actually see the places mentioned in the book.

Dont supose you could give the name of the book? cheers!

sorry for the off topic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

2 Para.

Not normally a fan of war books but when the Sunday Times had it on there highly recommended spot three weeks in a row I said I would try it

excellent book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

It was actually 3 PARA Battlegroup out there in 2006 as part of 16 Air Assault Brigade

Heres some footage of 3 Para Battlegroup/ Royal Irish in Sangin.

The reason they sound so edgy is because they were nearly out of ammo and incoming fire was so heavy they could not be resupplied, they had to call in airstrikes to keep the Taliban at bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t_JfSf7yxc&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pathfinder wrote: »
    Heres some footage of 3 Para Battlegroup/ Royal Irish in Sangin.

The reason they sound so edgy is because they were nearly out of ammo and incoming fire was so heavy they could not be resupplied, they had to call in airstrikes to keep the Taliban at bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t_JfSf7yxc&feature=related

I didn't hear any incoming or impacting rounds in any of that.

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    I didn't hear any incoming or impacting rounds in any of that.

That was the end of one of many ongoing firefights. Sangin FOB was under attack consistently throughout the tour including from suicide bombers in vehicles. The Incoming rounds were hitting the sandbags or going above them, they are on a rooftop firing down.

"As of summer 2006, British and Canadian troops have established a forward operating base on the outskirts of the town and are engaged in heavy fighting with Taliban insurgents and allied opium traffickers. A number of British and Canadian troops were killed during fighting in the town, including Cpl Bryan Budd (3 PARA) who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross."

Heres a better one, bar the crap music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vNHkHFAVc&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

3rd episode starting now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

watching it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

Those young lads, of the Anglians or what ever regiment/service, are the toughest bravest bunch, just the average young lad doing his bit....cap off to them, tougher then I.

Those young lads, of the Anglians or what ever regiment/service, are the toughest bravest bunch, just the average young lad doing his bit....cap off to them, tougher then I.

Certainly seen more contacts then the ARW.

Probably......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Must you drag down every thread with your babble?**** off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Good episode.

Why do all of Pathfinders posts mention Irish forces in a negative light?

Futurism wrote: »
    Good episode.

Good question.......

Futurism wrote: »
    Good episode.

Because of bull**** which cant be backed up.

• Advertisement

Because of bull**** which cant be backed up.
    Yes I'm still waiting for you to back up said BS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Pathfinder banned for 1 week for repeated trolling / thread disruption.

Hagar wrote: »
    Pathfinder banned for 1 week for repeated trolling / thread disruption.

Well I deserve the same, or worse, I am to blame too Hagar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You get the benefit of the doubt because I think you were getting sucked into it as opposed to causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Very moving footage at the end of a lad being hit and ultimately dieing. No hollywood stuff there, very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭-aurora

Very moving footage at the end of a lad being hit and ultimately dieing. No hollywood stuff there, very moving.
    indeed was very sad such a pitty they couldnt do anything for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

I didn't think much of the first episode but as it's going on it's really evolving into an excellent documentary and not just Ultimate Force 2 or anything. Fair play to Kemp for getting into the think of it. Most of all in episode 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Caps off to them??? There part of an illegal occupation:mad: Did you say caps off to the british when they where shooting innocents up north.Americans and british are trying to establish a new world order and ive no time for that.Caps off my bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Caps off to them??? There part of an illegal occupation:mad: Did you say caps off to the british when they where shooting innocents up north.Americans and british are trying to establish a new world order and ive no time for that.Caps off my bollox

big fat troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Dubit10 wrote: »

Belt up there is a politics and AH forum but gobsheens like yourself, now jog on like a good girl

Advertisement