Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Hagar wrote: »
    Pathfinder banned for 1 week for repeated trolling / thread disruption.

Thank God for that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Caps off to them??? There part of an illegal occupation:mad: Did you say caps off to the british when they where shooting innocents up north.Americans and british are trying to establish a new world order and ive no time for that.Caps off my bollox
    You mean the "occupation" that the UN ratified and that the people, you know those folk who live there, voted on during an election....looking back though I noticed that I didn't ask whether you agreed with me or not, I'm right your wrong end of....happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Caps off to them??? There part of an illegal occupation:mad: Did you say caps off to the british when they where shooting innocents up north.Americans and british are trying to establish a new world order and ive no time for that.Caps off my bollox

RUUUUUUUUNNN BOI!!!!!!!!

0038-0408-1717-0406_SM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

do you live under a bridge, you big troll! your also mildly retarded and contributing nothing to this thread so go take your *yawn* patriotic bull**** elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I would like to remind everyone to make use of the Report Post feature if you think a post is inappropriate.

It makes things easier for the mods and doesn't leave you open to claims of back seat modding or personal abuse.

Nobody wants to get caught in a the crossfire.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Have you watched the Ross Kemp documentaries? Leaving aside the legality/morality of the war, the documentary is showing what life is like for the average soldier there.

This is a board primarily frequented by soldiers and their part time counterparts. I can't speak for everyone on this board but I agree with the caps off statement. Although they may not be in the same army as the people here, they are our colleagues. The documentary is showing that they are doing a tough job, in less than ideal conditions without thanks from a lot of the public and without being looked after properly. It's showing that despite it being a tough job to do, they're doing it to the best of their abilities. So caps off to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Have you watched the Ross Kemp documentaries? Leaving aside the legality/morality of the war, the documentary is showing what life is like for the average soldier there.

This is a board primarily frequented by soldiers and their part time counterparts. I can't speak for everyone on this board but I agree with the caps off statement. Although they may not be in the same army as the people here, they are our colleagues. The documentary is showing that they are doing a tough job, in less than ideal conditions without thanks from a lot of the public and without being looked after properly. It's showing that despite it being a tough job to do, they're doing it to the best of their abilities. So caps off to them.

I suggest Dubit watches the programme, there was a good bit last night when Ross Kemp asked them what they were fighting for, Queen and country and all that. They were pretty unanimous they out there Queen and country means jack****, they fighting for each other and fighting to keep each other alive. I guess that is what 90% of service people end up fighting for at the end of the day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Currently reading Fusiliers by Mark Urban. The dedication is "In memory of those men who served honourably in unpopular wars"

As a child being stopped at British army checkpoints along the border I quickly realised that the young troopers manning them when more afraid of their surroundings than I was of their guns. The troops are just doing their jobs,and doing so bravely.

Bramble wrote: »
    Currently reading Fusiliers by Mark Urban. The dedication is "In memory of those men who served honourably in unpopular wars"

not too stray too far OT but is that book any good? Finished "The Men Who Stare At Goats" again and don't want to stray down the science-fiction route for the lack of something decent! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I suggest Dubit watches the programme, there was a good bit last night when Ross Kemp asked them what they were fighting for, Queen and country and all that. They were pretty unanimous they out there Queen and country means jack****, they fighting for each other and fighting to keep each other alive. I guess that is what 90% of service people end up fighting for at the end of the day.

That was possiby the Best part of that episode I just lover the way they said it. "at the end of the Day Queen and country are'nt holdin' a rifle"

It was just true!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

That was possiby the Best part of that episode I just lover the way they said it. "at the end of the Day Queen and country are'nt holdin' a rifle"

It was just true!!!!!

I was watching that bit where he's talking to the lads and before they said anything I'd said to my otherhalf..

There's an old army saying "I don't fight for glory, or to be a hero, I fight for the man standing next to me".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    not too stray too far OT but is that book any good? Finished "The Men Who Stare At Goats" again and don't want to stray down the science-fiction route for the lack of something decent! :cool:

Its very good,addresses the lack of book from the British point of view in 1776-1784. Mark Urban is a good writer. However I would not reccommend it for a casual reader(My wife is wondering how I can understand it). He follows the campaigns and members of the 22nd infantry regiment through the American War of Independence,it can be hard to follow the geography and personalities for casual readers. Great id you have previous knowledge of the subject.
    I have previously read Rifles by him, concerning the 95th rifle reg in the Pennisular campaign from 1805-15. Also very good,probably a bit better.
    I had read very little Napoleonic history before these (Near Run Thing by David howarth is an easy to read Waterloo book)

Whatever war I read about I still marvel at the resilience and bravery of the young troops who do the fighting.

Whatever war I read about I still marvel at the resilience and bravery of the young troops who do the fighting.

Otherwise known as 'grunts':D

Bramble wrote: »
    Its very good,addresses the lack of book from the British point of view in 1776-1784. Mark Urban is a good writer. However I would not reccommend it for a casual reader(My wife is wondering how I can understand it). He follows the campaigns and members of the 22nd infantry regiment through the American War of Independence,it can be hard to follow the geography and personalities for casual readers. Great id you have previous knowledge of the subject.
    I have previously read Rifles by him, concerning the 95th rifle reg in the Pennisular campaign from 1805-15. Also very good,probably a bit better.
    I had read very little Napoleonic history before these (Near Run Thing by David howarth is an easy to read Waterloo book)

Thanks for the synapses! I wandered into Easons in galway today looking for something new and picked up 'Heroes Of Jadotville'. It's about Irish Troops in Africa back in 1961 during the Katanga conflict in the Congo! Only read the first page in the car so I can't tell ya anything about it! :D

sorry for the OT mods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Thought some of you lads might be interested in this....its a piece from an Irish journalist with a lot of experience in Afghanistan (was shot out there last year) and been embedded with both the yanks and canadians....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5bZjPezVU

The Javelin's are sure getting good usage in this episode!

Best bit of that was when he said the USAF guys ''hang around so that everyone pulls out safely''

This show gets better and better.

Absolutely fantastic film making and regardless your political take on Afghanistan you have to give full credit to those young lads, to the sensitivity shown by Ross Kemp and his backup team.

I hope this is released on DVD and book.

any links around to the latest episode?

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    any links around to the latest episode?

Its repeated during the week, so watch the TV pages.

Sorry, I can't remember when the repeats are shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

http://youtube.com/user/oddball71

He's a great lad for the videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

so sad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah that was very sad especially during the remembrance mass.

Great episode..great series.FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

really enjoyed the show myself,i wonder what kemp will be up to next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Good show...
    Hopefully Kemp will be doing a docu on security contractors:) Well thats what i want to see next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

well that was a tear jerker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Have to say, when he was talking to the fallen soilders mother and Ross asked, "How proud are you of your son" realy brought a tear to the eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

me too :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

For anyone who might have missed it. Play.com are taking pre-orders for the DVD. It's €20.

Link:Ross Kemp in Afghanistan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I hear ross is heading to limerick next not sure if this is true lol:D. Sorry LImerick folk!

Advertisement