Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head Gasket

• 17-01-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, recently found white skum under the oil cap of my 97 VW Polo, i am concerned that this might be a problem with the head gasket or could there be another reason for this substance been there. Approx. how much does it cost to fix a head gasket problem if this is the case.

thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It might not be - especially if you do a lot of short runs or commute in heavy traffic.

Dip the oil and see if a similar 'scum' is on the dipstick. Are you loosing coolant? Has the coolant changed colour? Do you get a lot of steam from the exhaust when the engine is good and hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Willi911

its actually been lying idle for d last month or so.... i have another car so dont really use that 1.... if its not a problem with the gasket what could it be, not loosing coolant as far as i can see anyway...

Willi911 wrote: »
    its actually been lying idle for d last month or so.... i have another car so dont really use that 1.... if its not a problem with the gasket what could it be, not loosing coolant as far as i can see anyway...

Sounds like it could be just down to condensation. Clean the cap and keep an eye out to see if the residue returns. If it is condensation then the white residue shouldn't return if the car is used regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

A white, mayonaisse type substance appearing under the oil cap can be a sign that the head gasket is on the way out.
    Alot of the time if you take a car with a blown head gasket to a garage they'll tell you it'll be cheaper to get a second hand engine and put that in.

The car's 11 years old so if the head gasket does go you might be better off just getting rid of it. Especially if the car's developing other problems.

If you know a mechanic you can trust, get them to check it out, they'll be able to find out quickly.

Make sure and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
    If the head gasket goes your car will keep overheating.

It doesn't sound like you've got much of a problem yet so keep driving and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

As the other poster said, it may not be the head gasket and even if it is it's not that serious yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Willi911

if it returns then is it a gasket problem r what.... am thinkin bout sellin it on... you seem well educated on this thing what do you think, if i dropped it to a local mechanic would he be able to tell me what the situation is on it...

cheers for the help....

• Advertisement

If it returns then it could be a head gasket. But if the car does short runs then the white scum is normal enough as it's caused by water vapour (condensation) that doesn't get hot enough to burn off. If the coolant level remains constant then you've little to worry about. If you want to be 1000% sure, have a mechanic do a coolant system pressure test (or even a sniff test to cover all bases). But from what you say, I'd be inclined to keep an eye on it for now and give the car some decent usage - monitor the scum build up for now.

Advertisement