Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctorate Clinical Psychology

• 17-01-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all :)

I have a 2:1 BA in English and Psychological Studies, a 1:1 HDip in Psychology (Conversion) and a 1:1 HDip in Education.
    This is my second year teaching Learning Support and English. I am going to apply for the Doctorate in Clinical this year and am wondering if anyone can tell me if I have any chance at all of getting it?
    Would be grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

You're qualifications seem really geared toward educational psychology, why do want to take the direction of clinical? I'm a student and just curious as to how people go about getting onto these post grads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Could be tough Optimist. Courses usually like people to have some sort of relevant experience in one or more of the core competency areas (e.g. learning disability, adult mental health, child and adolescent). They would also typically be looking for people with some sort of post-grad work which demonstrates the person's capacities in an area like research (a significant part of clinical training). Nothing in a sense rules you out, but the competition is so keen that the bar is set by your fellow applicants ... and they usually will come to the selection process with all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Optimist

Thx Myksyk, do you reckon so that teaching students with learning disabilities wouldn't count as experience as it's in a school and not in a clinical setting? I also carried out a research project on adolescent stress during my Dip in Psychology.

Hi Valmont, I had intended on doing educational until the course changed to three years and from the course outline, a year of it seems to be a complete repetition of the HDip in Education!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Experience of any sort with, for example, people with learning disabilities will count but it's just a matter of how the experience compares to other applicants' experience. And yes, work in a strictly educational setting won't score as high as working with that population in a clinical setting.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that M. Will start making good use of my summer hols and get some experience in a clinical setting! At least I'll know for sure then if it's the right area for me to pursue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 carl_d

Hey guys, jst wondering if any of you know about studying across the border? I'm curious as to whether a BSc (hons) degree in psychology would be accredited to the Irish psychological society since I completed the course in Queen's university under the British Psychological Society? I am interested in doing a Masters or Doctorate in the ROI, one careers service which turned out to be useless told me that I may not be able to complete further study by swapping through Socities and furthermore will then only be able to practice under the society I retained the qualification from? First post on "boards.ie) how complicated, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 alanjfinn

carl_d wrote: »
    Hey guys, jst wondering if any of you know about studying across the border? I'm curious as to whether a BSc (hons) degree in psychology would be accredited to the Irish psychological society since I completed the course in Queen's university under the British Psychological Society? I am interested in doing a Masters or Doctorate in the ROI, one careers service which turned out to be useless told me that I may not be able to complete further study by swapping through Socities and furthermore will then only be able to practice under the society I retained the qualification from? First post on "boards.ie) how complicated, eh? :)
    B.P.S accredited courses are now recognised by the P.S.I and vice versa, so you will have no bother there,best of luck.

Advertisement