Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish national cuisine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brendanyumo

Stark wrote: »
    And what do communists ban people from? Anyway, I'm sure if Faith was a communist she'd want boards.ie to become a state owned website rather than boasting that it's privately owned.

Pssst, try calling her a "fascist"
    Communists don't usually ban people,they usually kill them. Checkout,Mao,Stalin....facists are pussycats in comparison.
    If i'm banned it'll be a badge of honour!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So you think Faith is going to kill you now? You might need to see a counsellor about that paranoia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If i'm banned it'll be a badge of honour!

Grand so, I hope you wear your badge with pride. You're banned from Food & Drink for 2 weeks. The extra week is for calling me a communist. As Stark said, I'm clearly a fascist.

Back on topic now please :).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 xiaosu

Poland and "Polish food" has to be the most boring topic ever.I've never heard of a Polish restaurant.I'm bored with all things polish.Sometimes walking around Dublin i feel like i'm in a godforsaken place like gadansk.Enough already!!

Gosh, I wonder who you are :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This thread has been brilliant apart from that brendan dude. I cant wait to taste some this polish food, I am off to krakow next month also going to warsaw and wroclaw.

Roll on the dumplings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

hi
    Dear Moderators
    could u please remove all off topic posts from this thread ? including this one here ?

Thank you :)

we are talking about food, not STALIN !!

I'm leaving them there so others can see what's not acceptable. It also helps keep things transparent, so users can see that there's no great "Mod conspiracy". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hey thanks for that. My boyfriend is from Czech. I'll try find something nice to cook for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

lolli wrote: »
    Hey thanks for that. My boyfriend is from Czech. I'll try find something nice to cook for him :)

Check this out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_cuisine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Willstev wrote: »
    This thread has been brilliant apart from that brendan dude.
    That brendan dude and all his alt accounts have been permanently site-banned from Boards.ie

I cant wait to taste some this polish food, I am off to krakow next month also going to warsaw and wroclaw.

Roll on the dumplings.

I envy you. Enjoy the trip.

I think I'll enjoy a couple of cold Tyskie this evening.

POLISH NATIONAL CUISINE [vol 2]

As many people has seemed to be interested in that thread I decided to create the PART 2 which include new food, drinks and sweets.

Smacznego! ;)

FOOD

Naleśniki
    Pancake that can be served as a main dish. They can be served sweet usually with fresh fruits (e.g Bilberry), Powidła, fruit jam. Also with variety of savory fillings e.g. fried chicken or even tuna with different additions like cheese potatoes or ham. In Poland Naleśniki are also used for making croquettes.

Naleśniki z serem - with farm cheese
    Naleśniki z dżemem - with jam/marmalade
    Naleśniki z budyniem - with pudding
    Naleśniki ze szpinakiem - with spinach

Naleśniki with farm cheese decorated by suzette:
    nalesniki_suzette.jpg

Naleśniki with fruits:
    image007.jpg

Soups

Polish cuisine is full of many kinds of soups. They are served with potatos, vegetables, rice or grits (depend of the soup). There are few of them:

Pomidorowa - tomato soup
    Rosół - chicken soup
    Ogórkowa - cucumber soup
    Grzybowa - mushroom soup
    Krupnik - barley or vegetable soup; depend of region.
    Barszcz czerwony -
    beet soup
    Barszcz biały -
    horseradish soup, served with hard-boiled eggs and kiełbasa

Rosół with vegetables:
    Rosol_z_pora_3701.jpg

Gołąbki

Gołąbki is a hearty traditional Polish dish consisting of boiled cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, chopped onions, and rice or barley, baked in a spicy tomato sauce; similar to a Cabbage roll.

Gołąbki rolls are usually fist-sized when fully stuffed or rolled. Spiced Pork is sometimes used instead of, or in addition to, beef.

10.jpg

SWEETS

Makowiec

Makowiec is a traditional Polish cake usually baked around Christmas and Easter. The cake consists of dough with a filling of poppy seeds, raisins, milk, butter, orange peel and nuts such as walnuts or almonds. The cake can be finished with a glaze made of powdered sugar and lemon juice.

D_makowiec_wiejski.jpg

Faworki

Traditional Polish sweet crispy fried pastry in the shape of thin twisted ribbons, deep-fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Most often they are eaten in time of carnival and on Fat Thursday the last Thursday before Lent - not to be confused with Fat Tuesday or (Mardi Gras) the day before Ash Wednesday.

800pxfaworkiplatezg2.jpg

DRINKS

Żubrówka /ʐub'rufka/ (also known in English as Bison Grass Vodka) is a brand of dry herb-flavoured vodka distilled from rye, 40% alcohol (80 proof). The raw rectified spirit is then mixed with a tincture made of Hierochloe odorata, often called bison grass. This grass grows in the Białowieża Forest, which is partly in Poland and partly in Belarus. A blade of this grass can be found in every bottle of genuine Żubrówka and is the reason for its particular taste, aroma, and yellowish colour.

Żołądkowa Gorzka (en: Bitter Stomach Vodka) is trade mark of polish dry brand vodka produced since 1957. Among many other prizes, it received prestigious Oskar FMCG 2006 award in brand vodkas category as well as CoolBrands award and Gold medal on Poznan International Fair POLAGRA 2000

Against its name, Żołądkowa Gorzka is sweet, amber-colour vodka with specific, root smell and herbal flavour. Bitter Stomach Vodka (except of traditional taste) is produced two variants:
    • Bitter Stomach Vodka with Mint (Wódka Żołądkowa Gorzka z Miętą)
    • Bitter Root Stomach Vodka with Honey (Wódka Żołądkowa Gorzka Korzenna z Miodem)
    warka_nowa.jpgth_zubrowka.jpgsobieski.jpggorzka.jpgzywiec.jpg

u can also add twarog to pancakes

blend twarog with vanilia sugar and cream , add raisins
    put pasta on pancake and roll it

>>>smacznego<<<<!!

foiled twarog mazurski is good to eat for a period of about one month,
    ensure that it has quite long expiry date as sometimes it may be a little sour if too old.

I was going to mention that I tried this and while it was great on pancakes.
    I did'nt like the twarog on it own, but maybe the cheese was old.
    But then again I always think that Irish milk is better than anyone elses.

Thanks for that again Whoopea!

The bison grass is really interesting....I'm going to try that.

Do you eat Avjar? I like it and I just wondered how you are suppose to eat it....I use it as a dip.
    It might not be Polish, alot of the food in my eastern european foodstore seems to be from the Ukraine.

I think Avjar is not Polish. I've never heard of it.

what's avjar? I've never heard about this before

It is roast red pepper, aubergine (oberżyna), garlic, olive oil and chilli salsa. Apparently people spread it on bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Been to Poland almost a dozen times at this stage so just adding my two cents.

Gołąbki when done right is absolutely delicous. While you may think stuffed cabbage isn't all that appealing it can be lovely.

I'm always surprised and disappointed that Żołądkowa Gorzka isn't available here when Żubrówka (which isn't as nice) is available everywhere. I currently have three bottles of Żołądkowa Gorzka sitting on the shelf at home, original, mint and honey! I was in Jelenia Gora about two weeks ago and tried a beer called 'Strong', it was very tastey and at 7% dangerous.

u can get zoladkowa gorzka in dublin in some off-licences

I'm pretty sure that I saw it in Molloys in Coolmine D15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

As far as I know adjar comes from the Balkans (Croatia etc.).

Thanks for the tip on gorzka zoladkowa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

u can get zoladkowa gorzka in dublin in some off-licences

I'm pretty sure that I saw it in Molloys in Coolmine D15

Thanks man, though I'm not sure I've ever been to Coolmine in my life! If anyone see's it in other off license's let us all know here, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mareczku

Firstly, like all food its often the ingredients that define the dish, and with respect historcally polish food would have contained a lot of fat and smoked meats (kielbasa). That said once you get used to it (a bit like Guinness) you grow to love it. I myself now cook different poilsh food such as pierogi, kapusta, bigos, kasza, barszcz, zurek etc... sometimes mixing it with Irish food and lightening the deep flavours. For those interested in trying it there is also a restaurant in Dun laoghaire now serving polish food on tuesdays in the shopping centre (I haven't tried it as yet)

Smacznego (means enjoy your food):pac:

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 cyberbob222

Hi All,

I wondered how many of You would like to hold a polish cuisine meal in Your house.
    Just last night, while havinng few shots of spirit by a full table of polish food i had an idea to do one, as a trial of business idea.
    I am looking for a food lover who would like to invite few friends over to their house /lets say 8 adults/. We would be happy to blast out a starter, main course and cold plate with aperitif. All would take about 2 - 3 hrs..
    FREE OF CHARGE
    We would like to know Your opinion on it, maybe ask You to take few notes, like at a wine tasting sessions.
    I am based in Ashbourne, Co. Meath, but ready to roam around.

Feel free to email me if You like the idea.

Cyberbob222

Sounds interesting. I'm gonna ask few fellas if they're interested.

Are you about to create some restaurant or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 cyberbob222

What it is going to be i cant tell yet. It all depends on what do YOU guys think about it.
    It could be a restaurant, take away, catering or a hot dog trailer ;-)
    I am Polish, my other half is Irish, she loves polish food, i bake cakes, cook soups and do main courses at home. Her family is not really into it, but sure i need a wider audience to judge my delights.

But i kinda like the idea of cooking around :-) New people, lots of laugh and good time, would need a driver at some stage though ;+))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

What it is going to be i cant tell yet. It all depends on what do YOU guys think about it.
    It could be a restaurant, take away, catering or a hot dog trailer ;-)
    I am Polish, my other half is Irish, she loves polish food, i bake cakes, cook soups and do main courses at home. Her family is not really into it, but sure i need a wider audience to judge my delights.

But i kinda like the idea of cooking around :-) New people, lots of laugh and good time, would need a driver at some stage though ;+))

I am polish too. I like nice food, more to eat than to prepare I must say. My boyfriend is Irish and a few months ago he prepared pierogi for me(learnt from internet I presume :) ).

Men are better cooks - ther is no doubts about it. Good luck with your projects.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Polish food...yuk!! No thanks.

have you tried it?

xiaosu wrote: »
    Poland and "Polish food" has to be the most boring topic ever.I've never heard of a Polish restaurant.I'm bored with all things polish.Sometimes walking around Dublin i feel like i'm in a godforsaken place like gadansk.Enough already!!

seems like you have never been to poland, no place better in the summer than poland, krakow or zakopane, mountains, a good restaurant and music, great place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

sold wrote: »
    seems like you have never been to poland, no place better in the summer than poland, krakow or zakopane, mountains, a good restaurant and music, great place

Krakow and Zakopane - I totally agree :)

• Advertisement

Great place to eat in Zakopane is Karczma Zbójecka. Even those Irish who don't like Polish food will like the food there. They do a great Chicken and roast potatoe plate. Totally great place and good food on the main streen of Zakopane.

They have a bar where you can taste different foods.

Advertisement