Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work experience(fluid dynamics)

• 17-01-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I didnt know who else to ask so i thought you guys might know.

Im in transition year at the moment and after doing a project I have gained an interest in fluid dynamic. I want to get into something like designing planes or car to be aerodynamic when im older. However for the mean time I would like to see what this kind of job is like in real life.

Does anyone know car or plane designers in Ireland? I'd love to do work experience with someone who works with fluid dynamics?

Sean

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Copied from UCD, for to get more response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

There are very few companies like that in Ireland. There is Bombardier in Belfast, but if you don't live near Belfast, I wouldn't bother. With a lot of engineering companies, you'll see f*** all of what they do.

3 suggestions:

1. Get work experience with a mechanical or civil engineering firm. You may or may not see fluid dynamics in use, but you'll see a small bit of what engineers do. (They use a small bit of fluids in civil too, but not as much as mech/aero)

2. Get work experience with a company like SR Technics or Shannon Aerospace. They are involved in aircraft maintenance. SR Technics definitely take on transition year students.

3. Get work experience with a college in a mechanical/aeronautical engineering department. You might get to see more in a college than in an engineering firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

I work in electronics & CFD is beginning to get more traction in the industry, I know the Stoke's Instutite at UL are involved in this area. a prerequisite is a good knowledge of 3D Mech design software such as Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor ect

Advertisement