Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuation of attic floor in old house

Options
  • 18-01-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

My house built circa 1920 has ceiling joists running paralell to each other width ways but also has celing joists runing lengthways creating boxes roughly 2ft by 2ft, with sawdust filled inbetween (Im told this is one of the earliest attempts at insulation)

My house is pretty cold at the minute even with the heating on. I have 12 ft ceilings so there is a lot of space to heat.

Has anybody got any good suggestions on how I should insulate ?

I'm thinking of some kind of Kingspan type boards on the attic floor but to be honest I'm a bit clueless on the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hi all,

My house built circa 1920 has ceiling joists running paralell to each other width ways but also has celing joists runing lengthways creating boxes roughly 2ft by 2ft, with sawdust filled inbetween (Im told this is one of the earliest attempts at insulation)

My house is pretty cold at the minute even with the heating on. I have 12 ft ceilings so there is a lot of space to heat.

Has anybody got any good suggestions on how I should insulate ?

I'm thinking of some kind of Kingspan type boards on the attic floor but to be honest I'm a bit clueless on the subject.

Is it a period house? With 12 ft seilings it sounds like that.

You can pack fiberglass insulation in the "boxes" you refer to, which would improve the insulation, or you could use the Kingspan, if you can get the boards in there..

The problem with that house is the height of the ceilings, its costing you a fortune to heat all that airspace in the rooms.. and as height rises you have to heat vacant space...

The fiberglass is probably the easiest solution considering the way the joisting is crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you are looking to remove the sawdust, you'll have a bit of a job!
    The easiest way I can think of would be to try find an industrial "barrel vacuum" which fits on top of a plastic drum and can be emptied easily.

If anybody knows the true name for these, maybe post it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Sorry the ceilings are actually 11 ft, I Wouldn’t say its a period house, and isn’t protected by any preservation orders etc

If I had to remove the sawdust I’d have to drag it down from the ceiling and through the house… :eek:

I was thinking of just leaving the sawdust where it is and covering it over with some type of insulation

Advertisement