Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 1.8T -V- BMW 320 SE COUPE

• 18-01-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Thinking about changing herself's mini cooper for one of the above, she loves the Audi, but I really can't make up my mind between either of them! Always aspired to having a new 3 series coupe, but the Audi is really really nice! Also, should I buy now or after July?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Depends on how long "she" will keep it.

"She" may not appreciate the drivers aspect of the BM, "she" may be more concerned with her friends perspective of what's sexy etc etc.

More info needed Bro, very subjective.

Brutally honest... give her what she wants, not what you are advised on.

Can't advise on the VRT change issue.

Experience rather than expertise talking....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

I think the Beemers are better on co2 so if you go for that, leave it until after July (and get the 325i instead). If you're staying with the Audi, maybe beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

BMW has Dynamic Efficency or something like that fitted making it more Co2 friendly afaik. Will most likely be cheaper to buy and run after 1st July. There was a thread here on the A5 v 3 Series coupe a few weeks ago, worth searching for.

OP have you or the other half driven either cars? This might help the decision process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

SHE needs to drive both. They're both a good bit bigger than her mini, and she may not like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Try both and see what ye prefer, but bare in mind that the BMW is going to get a lot cheaper in July. You can see by how much if you look at the VRT sticky. I put up an Excel file(it won't actually fall by this much, as I'm using Recommended Retail price instead of the Open Market Selling Price, simply because I don't have access to OMSP, but they are similar enmough, so it shouldn't be far off)

142 g/km for the BMW, so 20% VRT and €290 tax a year, compared to 169 g/km for the Audi, so 24% VRT and €430 tax a year. Both cars will be cheaper to buy in July though, but as the BMW is in 30% VRT now, and going to fall to 20% VRT, you can see that the BMW will be quite a bt cheaper then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Oilrig wrote: »
    "She" may not appreciate the drivers aspect of the BM,

what do you mean by "driver's aspect".

I've seen BMWs referred to as "driver's cars" before and was just curious as to what it meant.

quarryman wrote: »
    what do you mean by "driver's aspect".

I've seen BMWs referred to as "driver's cars" before and was just curious as to what it meant.

Some BMWs with manual gearboxes are known for having heavy clutches. Maybe that is what Oilrig meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

well mine does!

but how does that make it a Driver's car?

is a light clutch bad?

personally I like the heavy clutch in mine...

quarryman wrote: »
    well mine does!

but how does that make it a Driver's car?

is a light clutch bad?

personally I like the heavy clutch in mine...

What I presume Oilrig meant is that a heavy clutch is part and parcel of some BMW with manual gearbox, and that women would not see this as a good thing(sorry if I've offended any ladies here!) to be part of the driving experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭fabsoul

E. Fudd wrote: »
    Thinking about changing herself's mini cooper for one of the above, she loves the Audi, but I really can't make up my mind between either of them! Always aspired to having a new 3 series coupe, but the Audi is really really nice! Also, should I buy now or after July?

I would go with the BMW,
    I have a E46 BMW320cd 05 auto,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

Who is the car for?

Her or you? :D

Just to bump up this thread, the 320i SE should cost €43,881 in July(50,150 now), the 325d SE should cost €50,881 in July(€58,150 now), both will cost exactly the same to tax in July, whereas the 320i is €590 and the 325d is €1290 presently to tax(both will be €290 in July to tax).

The 325i SE should cost €52,914 in July(€57,450 at the moment), and the 320d SE costs €55,400 now, but should fall to €46,167 in July.

They won't actually go down by the amounts I am saying, because VRT isn't calculated on the selling price(a bit less than this actually), but since BMW Ireland have comitted themselves to passing on any VRT saving available, it shouldn't be far off, unless BMW up the equipment levels, but that will be self evident when you see the car.

The A5 will also benefit from the VRT changes, but it will be very slight indeed, the 1.8 TFSI costs €49,900 now, but should cost €49,243 in July, however because of the higher emissions, you're talking about 24% VRT and €430 to tax it in July, though a new one will cost €100 more to tax right now. By comparison a 320i SE should be somewhere around the €44k mark then, so it will actually be a cheaper car to buy than the A5, even though at the moment it is a dearer car than the A5 to buy!

There will be a 2.0 TDI in the A5, but if the A4 was anything to go by, it's emissions will be the same category as the petrol 320i even though it is diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Think the 2.0Tdi in the A5 is the common rail version, so could have less emissions.

Think the 2.0Tdi in the A5 is the common rail version, so could have less emissions.

It does 144 g/km in the A4, so it is in the 20% VRT band, which is the same as the BMW 320i(though the BMW pollutes 151 g/km).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Depends on how long "she" will keep it

Hopefully longer than her mini!
    Probably 2 years
    "She" may not appreciate the drivers aspect of the BM, "she" may be more concerned with her friends perspective of what's sexy etc etc.

TBH she's not that big into what her friends perspective would be, she does like her cars though.
    More info needed Bro, very subjective.

What more do you want to know?

Just as a matter of interest, why all the "she"ing??

JHMEG wrote: »
    SHE needs to drive both. They're both a good bit bigger than her mini, and she may not like that.

She drives my pajero for the weekly shop and is well able for it, don't hink it'll be too off putting for her.
    MarkN wrote: »
    Who is the car for?

Her or you? :D

Both of us, I have a pajero which I work out of, but for golfing etc. I'll be driving the car.

We're heading off tomorrow to test drive both.

Just as a matter of interest, why all the "she"ing??

Because you're giving the impression that want to buy a car for her that you want for yourself:)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

She drives my pajero for the weekly shop and is well able for it, don't hink it'll be too off putting for her.
    Where she has a good view... might be different at car level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Went and looked at both cars today.
    Saw the A5 first, and were really impressed. Test drove the 3.2 fsi and were even more impressed. We left Foster motors considering not even going to look at the three series.
    That all changed when we got to maxwell motors and test drove a white,
    320d m sport coupe. We both fell in love with it, there was no comparison between the Audi and the BMW.
    So..... we've ordered and paid a deposit on a E92 320d M sport coupe in manual, alpine white, and black cloth / anthracite upholstery.
    With Bluetooth telephone preparation, the upgraded hi-fi system and tinted glass.

It's due for delivery in or around July, so will be subject to the new VRT rate.

It's price at the moment is €63350, and I'm told by the salesman that it should drop by approx €7500.

All in all, an expensive day out, but my god I cannot wait until July!!!

Advertisement