Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3870X2 out next week.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

please please please kick nvidia's ass to hell with this one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It'll probably be faster then a 8800gtx, but then again nvidia are ready to launch the 9800 which will decimate it, if the 9600 performance is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It all depends on the price...anyone have any guess? I'd say about 320 euro here...anything much more would just uneconomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

am waiting till the second half of the year before ill upgrade my gfx card i want to see what else nvidia have up there sleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Seems these are the final clocks for the card according to VR-Zone:

R680 final clocks :

825MHz core
    1800MHz memories
    110W lowest TDP w/ PowerPlay
    190W max. TDP w/ PowerPlay

So each core is clocked 50 Mhz faster than the single RV670 cards,but the memory runs slower by about 200 Mhz.....

Only thing that comes to mind here is that the AA penality should be further reduced since with the higher core clock speeds,the shader core also runs faster as well.

As for the memory though,unless there's tweaks to the way the cores use available memory bandwith,the HD 3870 X2 should be a bit slower than 2 HD 3870's in crossfire in memory bandwith limited cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Can't wait to see proper benchmarks. If they are mindblowing then I might get two if the price is right. Don't know if I can hold out for the gx2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see proper benchmarks. If they are mindblowing then I might get two if the price is right. Don't know if I can hold out for the gx2...

2 of them would be a waste m8, your mobo (same as mine) only does 16x + 4x so its the price of 2 gpu's for 25% extra speed. Just get one m8 until you upgrade to x38 or x48 which support 16x + 16x crossfire.

I'm thinkin bout gettin one myself, just waitin on proper benchies

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    2 of them would be a waste m8, your mobo (same as mine) only does 16x + 4x so its the price of 2 gpu's for 25% extra speed. Just get one m8 until you upgrade to x38 or x48 which support 16x + 16x crossfire.

I'm thinkin bout gettin one myself, just waitin on proper benchies
    Probably will just get one for now. When I jump to x48 on it's release (whens that btw?) I might throw in another.

papu wrote: »

€399 :(

I was expecting Ati to give it to Nvidia, they really are hopeless at the moment...

• Advertisement

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    €399 :(

I was expecting Ati to give it to Nvidia, they really are hopeless at the moment...

for 250 euros (3850's in crossfire) you can get gtx or above performance in most games.. how is that hopeless?

for 250 euros (3850's in crossfire) you can get gtx or above performance in most games.. how is that hopeless?

Maybe but where can you get 2 HD3850 for €250?

Can the HD3850's cant beat a 8800gtx in the games I play (tomb raider legend/crysis/dirt?

Doesnt really matter as I dont have a crossfire motherboard anyway...

Im saying Ati is hopeless because they cant touch nvidia in single cards at the moment, there flaghsip card is getting beat by a 9600gt ffs...

They could have fixed this somewhat by releasing the X2 for €300 or so, but €400 is a joke...

:rolleyes: nVidia fanboy :D

Its good value IMO, compare it to 320e for a 512mb gts, faster & twice the memory

1-http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-084-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=416
    its actually 124 euros but forgive me , i round up.
    Can the HD3850's cant beat a 8800gtx in the games I play (tomb raider legend/crysis/dirt?
    bah tomb raider
    crysis crysiscfuq4.jpg, codnovocrossfireue4.jpg
    cant argue with that for 250 quid
    + dirt is a horribly optimized game and no one benches it.
    but coj Coj
    company of heroes
    and stalker
    all run fantastically

lots of people dont have cases that will fit a GTX , and allot of new mobos today support crossfire and even CrossfireX.
    Im saying Ati is hopeless because they cant touch nvidia in single cards at the moment, there flaghsip card is getting beat by a 9600gt ffs...

making radical statements like that is great and all , but next time you go sprouting *** please back it up..

They could have fixed this somewhat by releasing the X2 for €300 or so, but €400 is a joke...

Flagship card being beaten by 9600GT? The only reviews so far compare the 512mb 9600GT to a 256mb HD3850 - surely you don't mean the 256mb HD3850 is Ati's flagship card? Anyway, in most tests, the 9600GT is at best a few frames faster. So comparing it to the 190 euro HD3870 will no doubt result in a similar loss for the GT. I'm not particularly amazed by the 9600GT at the moment, unless its priced at 130-140 euro or below. Which it probably won't.

The X2 costs 399 dollars - not euro. $399 = 270 euro, while I'm sure, as always, it will be higher, it won't be anywhere near 400 euro.

HavoK wrote: »
    The X2 costs 399 dollars - not euro. $399 = 270 euro, while I'm sure, as always, it will be higher, it won't be anywhere near 400 euro.

Wrong, it is 399e, thats from here, dutch store. There's a thread on XS bout it, here

1-http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-084-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=416
    its actually 124 euros but forgive me , i round up.

lots of people dont have cases that will fit a GTX , and allot of new mobos today support crossfire and even CrossfireX.

making radical statements like that is great and all , but next time you go sprouting *** please back it up..

lol

Postage is free is it?

Ati have a better single card than a gtx?

Those Crysis benches still cant touch a gtx....

Fact is Ati havent released a single card that compete with a Gtx and they have had 15 months to do it....

They have one now and they price it at €400....

I have nothing against Ati,but Nvidia has the beating of them everywhere besides crossfire but,Sli improving all the time and it wont be long before it catches up, then what?

9600-2.jpg

9600-3.jpg

9600-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

fanboi fight!!!!! :p

Yes 400e is a little bit steep for this gpu, 350e would have been a lovely price. Wont' stop me buying one tho.

In fact at the moment i detest nVidia, the 8800GTX, a year old but yet it hasn't gone down in price even with the 8800GT almost beating it at half the price. They also use a marketing stategy i hate, produce a keenly priced gpu but carefully limit the availability of it.

I feel its the mid range gpu's Ati need to concentrate on beating nVidia at. The 8800GTX is overpriced. They prooved that themselves with the 8800GT. This 3870x2 keeps Ati in touch, 8800GTX performance for an affordable price, crossfire on any mobo, no need for a 16x +16x mobo.

Ok 400e is stupid, I didn't realize that and it makes the world of difference. That's nearly more then buying 2 separate 3870's? I got my second 3870 for 192 euro....

• Advertisement

Review

http://www.pczilla.net/post/89.html

Its ddr3 :mad:

Anyone know if this card will consume more power than a single 8800gtx?

Review

http://www.pczilla.net/post/89.html

Its ddr3 :mad:

Anyone know if this card will consume more power than a single 8800gtx?

Reviews in chinese, cant read it.

All nVidia gpu's are ddr3 anyways

Advertisement