Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 18-01-2008 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Is there anyways other registered users can get a hold of your e-mail address or other personal information?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes. I've got your email address, full name, work address, home address, phone number, and mother's maiden name, which I'm going to use in a diabolical tele-pan-handling scheme to sell you true happiness.

Seriously though?

No, other registered users cannot get hold of such information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

well, unless you ticked the thing that says "make your email address available". - there is still such an option, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Smods and admins can view your IP address and email address as far as I know, but won't do so unless you are causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

For everything else, there's the mobile phone number you posted.

OP: If you want to create a thread in PI anonymously, you can do so: simply log out and post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

cornbb wrote: »
    Smods and admins can view your IP address and email address as far as I know, but won't do so unless you are causing trouble.

That is correct.
    As we have lives, (no, seriously we do,) we only ever go looking if someone is spamming or acting like a complete tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

coverband wrote: »
    Is there anyways other registered users can get a hold of your e-mail address or other personal information?
    Not from boards.ie

As has happened a number of times, if someone PMs you or otherwise tells you that they've gotten your details such as IP address or email address from boards.ie, they're lying and trying to freak you out.

Never underestimate the power of the web/google however:
    • If you use the same username on a number of forums and it's fairly unique, or the topic is fairly obscure, they could track you to other sites. Other sites may not be as secure with your data.
    • If you give out your full name or email address on boards, users can search on these to pull up bebo pages, myspace, other forums, news articles and anything else which contains these details.

It's possible to build up a fairly large portfolio on some people through these two methods alone and is something we have done in the past for persistent spammers/annoyers.

For the super paranoid among you, if you post/browse from work they will be able find out what your username is. Then they can also use the above two methods to see what you do even when you're not in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Stalker

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Stalker
    No, stalking is when I had a someone's home phone number, address, e-mail, photo of his mother, their holiday home address, his father's two jobs and then reported him to the cops.

Advertisement