Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auto painting

Options
  • 18-01-2008 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

My Skoda Octavia is a bizarre blue-grey colour that, quite honestly, I can't even see. There's a small dent in the boot and I was wondering how one gets a dent undented and paints a car in Ireland. In the US auto body painting is a big business and it's easy to get your car painted another colour quite professionally... where might I go for such a service in Ireland? And how long would it take, cost, etc. I'm in Westport by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Well, as long as Ireland isn't US you have to repaint your car yourself in your backyard. ;)

Only kidding.
    You should start with Yellow Pages / crash repair shops/ if you don't know any one who can send you the right direction.

Dents can be repaired without damage to the original paintwork. Depends on the dent, position, etc. The same goes to re-spraying. Depends on type of paint used, metallic, candy, solid, etc...
    Give a call to few bodyrepair shops and have a chat with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yoda wrote: »
    In the US auto body painting is a big business

Don't you mean "car body painting"? Auto means Automatic gearbox in this part of the world;).

And we don't have Yellow Pages either FiSe, they're called Golden Pages in this country;)!

Yoda, it's not worth the hassle. Just buy a different Octavia in a colour you prefer. If you want a proper job,the car has to be stripped back to the bone, the car has to be preped, primed, put on base coats and a whole lot of other stuff, throw out all the interior, remove the light clusters, so unless you are an expert in dismantling a car interior, it is going to be a very expensive job indeed, because there is a huge amount of labour involved in getting a car ready for a full body respray...

Of course if you just want to get the exterior repainted, all that needs to be done is mask up all the glass, so, plus all the other stuff I mentioned about the exterior, but when you open the door or peel back the carpets it will be so obvious that the car isn't in original colour, which will put most people off when you want to sell it.

I'd say it is very expensive to get it done, I'm afraid I don't know how much it would cost though, but get a Golden Pages, and start enquiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

www.mgautostyling.com - ask for Mark - very good.

Advertisement