Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best value internet provider with home wifi?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,
    I'm about to buy the DELL Inspiron 1525 laptop and I need to choose a wireless/internet broadband service and my head is melted from all the different options.
    The ones that are looking good for me are; Vodafone, Irish Broadband and NTL! I;ve heard lots of complaints from people about service providers and as a result to be careful who you choose.
    I will need wireless on the move but mostly will prob be at home.
    i don;t want to spend a fortune on it but obviously don;t want to be stuck with a really slow and expensive option.
    Preferably I'd rather 24 hrs unlimited. Does this mean bundles.
    Sorry, its all too much for this teeny brain of mine!
    Can someone please help...this s**te is exhausting.
    Also has anyone any advice on the laptop that I'm going to buy? I'm not into games so don't need high res graphics or whatever the term is.
    Thanks a mill
    M

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from laptops.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hackster wrote: »
    Also has anyone any advice on the laptop that I'm going to buy? I'm not into games so don't need high res graphics or whatever the term is.
    Thanks a mill
    M

Sorry, I think this thread is better suited here as you'll get much better responces to your broadband query. Feel free to start another thread over on laptops about your laptop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I'm with Irish Broadband 2mb €35 a month and now download limits.Ok service can be a bit slow at times.Lots of info here just do a search!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your including NTL in your list....you realise they are not a wireless Broadband supplier in the true sense of the word, have a look at this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055167684

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb does 4 kinds of Wireless Internet (one Mobile).
    IBB does 3 kinds of Wireless Internet (one Nomadic).
    Eircom does Wireless Internet (but only if you apply for DSL and fail).
    There are also ICE, Clearwire etc but read the user comments.
    O2/3/Vodaphone is 3G/HSDPA and can be closer to Mobile Dialup than Mobile Broadband if your mast sector is very busy.
    In general some of the Fixed Wireless (e.g. Metro) give DSL performance and some Fixed Wireless only Dialup or ISDN speed. Different companies products are quite different technologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hackster

Thanks so much,
    I suppose I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to get so I don't have to make the decision myself!
    I'll keep searching,
    cheers
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i'm also in the same dilemma and after going to a few forums i'm still none the wiser?!!?

im jsut looking for something reliable, and quickish. obviously i'm not expecting an isdn line but at the same time i want it to be reasonably faster then dialup and within a monthly price range of 20-35 eurits! i live in rented accomodation and dunno how longer i'll be there.

i'm thinking vodafone looks the most attractive package...?

Táck wrote: »
    i'm also in the same dilemma and after going to a few forums i'm still none the wiser?!!?

im jsut looking for something reliable, and quickish. obviously i'm not expecting an isdn line but at the same time i want it to be reasonably faster then dialup and within a monthly price range of 20-35 eurits! i live in rented accomodation and dunno how longer i'll be there.

i'm thinking vodafone looks the most attractive package...?

I'd hope that you are at least expecting ISDN as ISDN is only 64kbps or 128kbps..... (dialup around 48kbps).

Look at the vodafone 3G option - it will be portable too. I had one from work and consistently got about 480kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I presume you're looking for internet access that allows you to connect your laptop to it wirelessly instead of your internet connection specifically being provisioned over wireless so I've changed the topic a bit to reflect that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you are just looking for wifi within your home, then I think the best ones to go for are Smart Telecom [no usage caps] or Digiweb [Quite low usage caps].

I mention these two companies for reliability of service, in my experience.
    To be honest, any internet connection you can get to your house will be able to do wifi within the house. You just have to purchase a seperate wifi router [if one is not supplied by the ISP] or a wifi Access Point.

If you want mobile broadband [for example, you want to be able to surf the internet while in the park or whatever], you will probably have to go with one of the mobile operators. But you will be disappointed if your expectations of high speed and high availability are a must.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hackster

Ok now its making sense.....This was a big help...thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

Im moved into my apt 6 months ago and was told there is a WIFI Link in the apt and that all i have to do is connect an internet line to from a laptop to the wall link.

im not up to date with WIFI but will this give me internet access or would i need a password etc?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

paddylast wrote: »
    Im moved into my apt 6 months ago and was told there is a WIFI Link in the apt and that all i have to do is connect an internet line to from a laptop to the wall link.

im not up to date with WIFI but will this give me internet access or would i need a password etc?

thanks

The wifi link won't give you internet access, per say. You must sign up with an internet provider. They will enable an internet connection to your apartment. You can then plug your wifi box into their modem/router. The wifi box will then allow you to share your internet connection out to multiple computers.

It's not as easy as that. We really need more information from you, if you are asking us how to set it up.

Who provides your internet connection?
    What make a model is the wifi box?

Advertisement