Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat bar bikes for commuting

Options
  • 18-01-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anyone got any advice on flat bar/hybid bikes for commuting? I'm planning to upgrade mine soon. I do about 20k a day and I've been looking at Genesis Ridgeback Day 1 and 2's . They seem to get good reviews but only one shop in Dublin sells them (cyclogical)!!

Other bikes would be Giant's FCR range, Cannondale Synapse and Speciaized Sirrus

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have an FCR3 (2007 model) and find it excellent. However, my commute is quite short and I'm currently preferring to use a singlespeed. It's easier to keep clean and properly functioning, especially in this manky weather.
    Tempe wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on flat bar/hybid bikes for commuting? I'm planning to upgrade mine soon. I do about 20k a day and I've been looking at Genesis Ridgeback Day 1 and 2's . They seem to get good reviews but only one shop in Dublin sells them (cyclogical)!!

Other bikes would be Giant's FCR range, Cannondale Synapse and Speciaized Sirrus

Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have an FCR3 (2007 model) and find it excellent. However, my commute is quite short and I'm currently preferring to use a singlespeed. It's easier to keep clean and properly functioning, especially in this manky weather.

I have the exact same bike, I do 25 km when I can manage to get up in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I owned a Specialized Sirrus and I would have no complaints about it. Very fast bike and the suspension seatpost was nice for absorbing some of the shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I was looking at the Sirrus and Giant FCR ranges myself. Ended up going with a Lapierre RCR 500, which I find excellent. Really nice ride position and a nice fast bike. They have them in Cycle superstore, worth a look if that's the kind of thing you're planning on

Lapierres and Giants here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have had a Sirrus Elite for many years now (converted to drops in 2006) which I am very happy with. When I got it (2002 I think) it was one of the only options but now there is a whole lot of stuff to choose from in that class, I would certainly consider the Giants etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tempe

Thanks for the replies......as you mentioned there's quite a range of these type of bikes now which I suppose is good for us. I also own an entry level road bike (Trek) which I generally use at weekends. I was thinking on using this to commute with but I find the upright posistion of the flat bar bikes much safer (my commute takes me along the Dublin quays which is a challange in itself).

I like the look of the Giant bikes.....does anyone have or know anyone with a Genesis? I don't see many around but they seem to have a big reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I'll give another vote for the Giants, I have an FCR1 ('07) and she's a beaut. The 105 set has only skipped twice in the four or five months I have it, first time when I got a few small branches caught in it and the second time when the rear mech decided to swallow a newspaper that was blowing around on Pearse St. If your budget allows I recommend a carbon forked bike, really helps remove some of the 'road buzz', though I undid some of this good work by changing my tyres to 23c for that small bit of extra speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I had one of the Ridgeback Mountain bikes... cheap as chips, but a great rider... I wouldn't have any hesitation is getting one of their higher end models.... You should be able to find them in Cycle Superstore as well.

You could also look at fixed gear -my commute is anything up to 15km, and no problems on my Kona Paddy Wagon -I do have flats on it, but will be putting drops back on for longer rides

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dub_skav wrote: »
    I was looking at the Sirrus and Giant FCR ranges myself. Ended up going with a Lapierre RCR 500, which I find excellent. Really nice ride position and a nice fast bike.
    I got a Sirrus Elite for Christmas. I preferred the Sirrus over the RCR500 because I felt that its spoke configuration would make for stronger wheels (more spoke overlap) and the Armadillo 700x28 tyres would offer good puncture protections.

I was also influenced by my positive experience with my previous two bikes (both Specialized: no suspension '96 Hardrock and a '01 FS Rockhopper; I put skinny tyres on both).

Advertisement