Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Speed Problems

Options
  • 18-01-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a weird one - just got connected with Eircom.
    Did a speed test :
    223595123.png

It's the 2mb package I have.
    However when I go to browse - tried wide range of sites - it's dog slow - like dial-up slow.
    Rebooted laptop.
    Tried laptop on work connection - no problem with that

I did have problems connecting from the router page for a while however.

Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I had the same problem with IE6/7 & I also have the same 2MB package.
    It was taking 40-50 seconds for the pages to open.
    I reinstalled IE7, checked firewall settings, disabled phishing filter, reset defaults, dumped cache & still no improvement.

I downloaded Firefox & have never looked back.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah i use firefox also. just seems to be much quicker imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

by all accounts it seems as though eircoms primary dns server is at fault for this one...

try setting a manual dns server to 213.94.190.236

to do this goto - start-settings-control panel-network connectioins-right click on the wireless connection or local area connection depending on whether your connected by wireless or cable - choose tcp/ip config and click properties and add the manual dns server!!!

This should help - any questions - just ask

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks for the replies

Yeah DNS would make sense - will try that! Firefox then

Actually when I first connected through the router page - with eircom, broadband1 - it was returning bad password, or timing out - DNS also???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

You havent got IPV6 enabled by anychance? I had the same sympthoms and it was IPV6 causing the problems revert back to IPV4

• Advertisement

You havent got IPV6 enabled by anychance? I had the same sympthoms and it was IPV6 causing the problems revert back to IPV4

Is that setting on the router??

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

could be alrite - i had a major problem with eircom there at the weekend turned out the primary dns was down so nothing would resolve - it's ur best bet - as another poster suggested check that ipv6 is not enabled by accident - although this is highly unlikely if its working perfectly at the office!!!

digiking - did it resolve itself? Or did manually entering the DNS servers sort it out?

Thanks,
    Keith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Is that setting on the router??

Local Area Connections Properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 actionman85

Hi i dont know too much about speeds etc, but i got the internet hooked up last year off some dude that was recommended to me, he charged me 400e and hooked up a high speed broad band in my house with a small radio on the roof. no bills its class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi i dont know too much about speeds etc, but i got the internet hooked up last year off some dude that was recommended to me, he charged me 400e and hooked up a high speed broad band in my house with a small radio on the roof. no bills its class.

Man I could use his number ;);)

Rang Eircom - to check my broadband order - and they said it was completed only today, so maybe there was the problem

Was nothing to do with account etc.

Was indeed DNS servers

Strange one - once I specify the 2 dns servers, it works perfectly!
    213.94.190.194 (primary)
    213.94.190.236 (secondary)

If I go back to get DNS server address automatically - there is the lag again
    Like when I do a ping - it seems to hang for about 10 seconds - and then give back the response

Anyhow - working it is!

Advertisement