Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop smokng drugs?

• 18-01-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

I was at the doctor yesterday and while there he lambasted me for smoking and tried to convince me to start using champix.
    I have heard of people on these my only concern with them is the initial outlay of cash as I believe they are quite expensive here anyone know around how much the full course costs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

The most you have to pay for prescriptions is €85 per month under the drug payment scheme, if you don't have a DPS card the pharmacy will fill out an emergency claim form, the course is normally €127 per month. This is for the 4week starter pack, the course is normally 12 weeks I believe.

I started taking it on Wednesday and I'm due to quit on Wednesday next. Weird dreams and some mild drowsiness but no nausea or anything else for me.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

G17 wrote: »
    The most you have to pay for prescriptions is €85 per month under the drug payment scheme, if you don't have a DPS card the pharmacy will fill out an emergency claim form, the course is normally €127 per month. This is for the 4week starter pack, the course is normally 12 weeks I believe.

I started taking it on Wednesday and I'm due to quit on Wednesday next. Weird dreams and some mild drowsiness but no nausea or anything else for me.

Good luck!

Your only taking it for a week?

quit smoking I think G17 means... you are supposed to smoke for the first week / 10 days of taking it. I started taking it about 2 weeks ago and find it really good. It has two effects -
    1. Pretty much eliminates cravings (well, not totally but to a manageable level where not much willpower is needed as opposed to the normal jaw-grinding ones which make you go to a newsagents for a pack!) after about a week of taking it.
    2. If you do have a cigarette you don't get any effect out of it so there is no point really.

The drug works by acting on the same receptors in your brain as nicotine does. You take .5mg for first 3 days, .5mg for next 4 days twice a day and then 1mg twice a day for the rest of the 12 week recommended course.

If you think that it's expensive - 20 a day is 45 euro a week - 180 a month - versus 85 a month (with dps)...

I would give it the thumbs up.

Did have weird dreams for the first week. Experienced nausea for about half an hour on the first day of moving onto the 1mg but have been fine since....

Advertisement