Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorstep for a conservatory.

Options
  • 18-01-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I have an almost finished Conservatory / Sunroom, but i havent decided what type of doorstep to go with.

The ground is covered with paving slabs and the height from the slabs to the door threshold is approx 8inches. (Apologies for the old-money measurement!)

I need to fit a vent brick into the step so i would prefer not to have a concrete step. I was thinking of trying to use some type of slab step with brick facing (to match dwarf walls).

If anyone has any advice or suggestions they would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

This may not be an option if you need a vent - but I built a conservatory a couple of years ago, & at the time the plasterer I had suggested to avoid dampness at the door (I didn't understand exactly why - still don't) - that I cut away the outer leaf of the block - at the door ope - then fill the gap left with concrete (using insulation & DPF as well), I did this & incorporated the step, it meant I had to plaster the vertical faces of the step. I put 3 x 2'x1' patio slabs on top - looks good IMO. (& I don't have any dampness!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

DAC wrote: »
    This may not be an option if you need a vent - but I built a conservatory a couple of years ago, & at the time the plasterer I had suggested to avoid dampness at the door (I didn't understand exactly why - still don't) - that I cut away the outer leaf of the block - at the door ope - then fill the gap left with concrete (using insulation & DPF as well), I did this & incorporated the step, it meant I had to plaster the vertical faces of the step. I put 3 x 2'x1' patio slabs on top - looks good IMO. (& I don't have any dampness!)

Cheers DAC. Something to consider. I thick i could use some of those brick slips (15mm Brick faces) instead of the plaster on the vertical faces and it would tie in with the walls. Still a bit buggered for my vent though..

Oh well, something to consider for the weekend..

Advertisement