Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

psychiatrist stabbed

• 18-01-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

a psychiatrist and a psychologist were stabbed by a patient in a day hospital yesterday. the psychiatrist is seriously ill, while the psychologist is in a stable condition. the patient is appearing in court today.
    i'm sickened to think of this. these two people were only going about their lives and their work. i hope they'll both be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought this was either going to be the run up to a joke or one of these brain test quizzes, like the chicken, fox ,grain, boat and farmer trying to cross the river.

Well, going on what you have written alone, who knows what happened. Maybe the Psychiatrist and Psychologist hated the patient and wanted to kill him and he fought back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Presumabley this was a psychiatric patient, in which case I guess he/she was possibly mentally deranged...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

LadyJ wrote: »
    Presumabley this was a psychiatric patient, in which case I guess he/she was possibly mentally deranged...?

and that would be your professional diagnosis would it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Gordon wrote: »

Well, going on what you have written alone, who knows what happened. Maybe the Psychiatrist and Psychologist hated the patient and wanted to kill him and he fought back?

i know i havent given much info, only what is already in the public domain. im a psychiatrist myself and know the doctor involved. i also know a lot more about this case but obviously cant post it here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So what is the difference between the two jobs then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

DonalN wrote: »

I think the inclusion of the "Presumabley" [sic] qualifies her statement.

irrespective of whether this guy was genuinely mad, or just bad, or possibly a mix of both, it doesnt take away from the fact that 2 staff were injured, one of them seriously, while just doing their job. in psychiatry theres always a risk of violence from patients, its an occupational hazard, but its awful to hear of something like this happening.

DonalN wrote: »

Lol, no! I just speculated clearly. I meant that if a psychiatrist and a psychologist were stabbed by a patient then (and I did say possibly this could have been an unbalanced individual).

I'm more just asking if anyone knows. Jesus!
    Like if it was a psychiatric hospital then the person might have been a bit crazy no?

robinph wrote: »
    So what is the difference between the two jobs then?

psychiatrists are medical doctors, ie have done basic medical degree the same as GPs, surgeons etc. therefore they are able to prescribe medicines.
    psychologists are not doctors, altho some of them can use the title "Dr" after doing a PhD. they are involved in IQ and cognitive assessments, as well as specific types of psychological therapies. but no prescribing.

sam34 wrote: »
    irrespective of whether this guy was genuinely mad, or just bad, or possibly a mix of both, it doesnt take away from the fact that 2 staff were injured, one of them seriously, while just doing their job. in psychiatry theres always a risk of violence from patients, its an occupational hazard, but its awful to hear of something like this happening.

Christ, I know!

I don't doubt it is a dangerous job! I was more so enquiring as to whether the patient was mentally unstable. I'm not saying it's not terrible. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No sh*t Sherlock?

:D

im not getting a dig in at you ladyj, i just feel really strongly about this case, especially as i know the injured man. horrible horrible horrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Pics or it didnt happen!! Or at Least A linky linklerson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

This sort of stuff happens all the time with the more dangerous patients. I had one male friend who was raped when he was working as a nurse's aide in a psychiatric hospital. He was only 19 at the time and was about to start a nursing degree and as far as I know now he can barely hold a job now in a Spar nevermind be a nurse. Very sad.

I hope these two doctors pull through and are able to return to work, its unlikely who ever did will get to leave a psyhc ward again which is equally sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

1,2,3 awwww.

Morlar wrote: »
    1,2,3 awwww.

What does this even mean? I really don't know what the hell I have said wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You would have thought that with their experience with dealing with such individuals, ex con's and the like, that would have been able to talk him down. :confused:

What does this even mean? I really don't know what the hell I have said wrong...

nothing at all. And I was only extracting urine earlier ;)

I am sick of the whole loopy attitude of feeling sorry/making excuses for the poor (insert_excuse_here) criminal.

I am sick of the whole loopy attitude of feeling sorry/making excuses for the poor (insert_excuse_here) criminal.

no one has mentioned feeling sorry for the guy

• Advertisement

I made no excuses. I was enquiring as to whether it was a psych patient or just a regular patient.

Yeah riiight.

Yeah riiight.

Yeah. Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yeah riiight.

Move along :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If the person is mentally ill and it can be proven that their illness affected their judgement than the events are tragic for both parties. For all we know the person who did this could have the mental age of a 5 year old and are in no way responsible for their actions. You can't be a criminal if you don't at the time or at any time know what you are doing is wrong.

Its possible this person is just a violent criminal but there is also a possibilty that he is mentally deranged or retarded so what LadyJ is saying is perfectly fair and reasonable. And if that is the case I would feel sorry for everyone involved here.

Lux23 wrote: »
    If the person is mentally ill and it can be proven that their illness affected their judgement than the events are tragic for both parties. For all we know the person who did this could have the mental age of a 5 year old and are in no way responsible for their actions. You can't be a criminal if you don't at the time or at any time know what you are doing is wrong.

Its possible this person is just a violent criminal but there is also a possibilty that he is mentally deranged or retarded so what LadyJ is saying is perfectly fair and reasonable. And if that is the case I would feel sorry for everyone involved here.

In other words 1,2,3 awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Are "mad" and "bad" both medical terms that you would use in the course of your work as a psychiatrist?

But yes, its sucks that these people were badly hurt in the course of their work.

cornbb wrote: »
    Are "mad" and "bad" both medical terms that you would use in the course of your work as a psychiatrist?
    not medical terms, obviously. but the term "bad, not mad" is one that psychiatrists would use to informally describe the group of people who are just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

psychiatrists are medical doctors, ie have done basic medical degree the same as GPs, surgeons etc. therefore they are able to prescribe medicines.
    psychologists are not doctors, altho some of them can use the title "Dr" after doing a PhD. they are involved in IQ and cognitive assessments, as well as specific types of psychological therapies. but no prescribing.

I would also say that a psychiatrist job is more involved in the physicality of the illness. Psychatrists rely heavily on medication as treatment as their training is in the body and not the mind. They believe psychiatric illnesesses are caused by differing levels of chemicals within the brain and body.
    Pschologists work focuses mainly on patients past experiences,social setting,thoughts,moods etc.

Its very sad for the staff involved as they really are working in very poor circumstances. Psychiatric services in Ireland are completly undefunded and understaffed particularly in Limerick where the event occured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I've a friend working in one of those places. The **** he tells me is unreal, don't know how he works there. One guy who killed a few women told him a joke one day. It went as follows.

"Whats the difference between chopping up an onion and chopping up a woman?"

"You cry when you chop the onion." :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

supposed to be out on bail for manslaughter, i cannot say for definite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

old boy wrote: »
    supposed to be out on bail for manslaughter, i cannot say for definite

Yeah that's true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

RonMexico wrote: »
    "Whats the difference between chopping up an onion and chopping up a woman?"

"You cry when you chop the onion." :eek:
    lol. That's pretty clever for a mad ejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the guy that murdered the woman from clare in the clarion was out on bail against the objections ot the cops, so i am led to believe, could be lies as well

think the guy involved in the limerick stabbing has recently been released from prison after 7 or 8 yrs for manslaughter, dont think he was on bail as such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement