Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hot Hatch Opinions?

• 18-01-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Have to change the Impreza (work related) as it 'galvanizes' peoples opinions , and seeing as I haven't owned a hot hatch as yet (only 4x4's or estates left to go ;)) that's what I'm going for. Doesn't have to be quite as quick as the Impreza, but does have to be slightly more comfy whilst retaining a good bit of fun/involvement.

Drove, and fell in love with a an '07 Clio 197, seemed to tick all the boxes, but open to suggestions on the genre, and any good/bad experiences of same. Did look at a Mk IV R32 but the tax/fuel bills horrify me and I think it's too similar to the Impreza in a way. Oh yeah, and will the Clio get cheaper in July?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drove a couple of Focus ST's 06 and 07 models. Cracking car super handling looks good and is very nippy to. Newer body coming this year around summer i think. I believe the Astra OTR Sri is quite nice to never been in one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you need some kind of stealth hot hatch to avoid 'galvanising' opinions? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

MK5 Golf GTi, 3 door, and keep it standard. It looks classier than any other hot hatch imo. Really nice to drive also, and very quick. They're not the quickest of Hot Hatches around (see focus ST or Astra VXR) but they do have that classy look/feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Do you need some kind of stealth hot hatch to avoid 'galvanising' opinions?
    Why, do you know where I can get one? I'd like a sunroof, but it's not a deal breaker if it means I get picked up on radar. Hot hatches aren't as noticeable as the Impreza, but still retain the fun/practicality aspects I like.

I think the Golfs are lovely, if a bit common, but would want a white one :eek: Focus could be a contender though, I have a mate who works for Ford. I do like the Asta VXR (don't really want to go above 2ltr), but can't decide if it's a bit 'crashed into a Halfords'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

While i love the look of the Opel Astra OPC, its the scare factor it will drive you straight into a wall just cause you tried to go around a roundabout. I really liked the MPS mazda3. I think its not common, and it is fast enough but once again front wheel drive suicide.

• Advertisement

Well id pop in to a few garages to pick up test drives on a couple of the hatches. I fell in love with the focus if only i had the cash to splurge:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Civic Type R? I lust after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Why move away from the Subaru to lesser cars when polished big brother is as good if not better and very understated -

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=731353

(This type of motor at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

Astra OPC (not VXR lads!) suffer from torque steer. Having said that, a good mate of mine is just about to buy his second one. The power delivery of them is lot rawer than the GTI, they also feel quite a bit quicker.

19s, that nice blue and the half leather Recaro seats make them look as far away from Halfords as every other hot hatch IMO.

The only hot hatch that does not shout about it in some way is an S3 in a normal metallic colour.

Imo Wagon does look good and im sure it drives like the nuts. but there is something about estates that make me feel old man-esque. just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I will take some flak for this I am sure - but the Clio's big brother the Megane 225 is supposed to be a cracking car - maybe even consider the diesel one (sorry can't remember its name)
    The Mazda 3 MPS is also a good choice particularly if your looking to keep below the radar as you said.

but to be honest I think your own choice is probably the best drivers car

Buy the golf if you want least hastle and best resale when it come to shifting it, and it aint a bad motor either!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

cabrwab wrote: »
    While i love the look of the Opel Astra OPC, its the scare factor it will drive you straight into a wall just cause you tried to go around a roundabout.

I have to disagree. As Mark said above, I'm going for my second one now and I love it... Yeah if you drive like a lunatic around corners you'll end up in a wall, but once you get used to the car it feels like you're actually driving something. Some cars give you this sense of being driven and the car is doing everything for you. The torque steer is a bit scary at first, but again, you'll learn haw to handle it.

Fuel economy wise, I don't drive mine like a Glanza owner and some tanks will get me 650 odd kms for between 48 and 50 euro so it's not bad at all.

Only downfall I do hate (but again am used to) is the tiny back window. It looks great outside, but inside there's a really bad blind spot.

Apart from that, acceleration is great, looks (IMHO) are the best in it's class, especially with the 19" upgrades and fuel economy can't be argued with for a 2.0 Turbo Petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what was resale like on it for you lar and why are you changing, diff colour/spec?

old model Audi S3 - 225bhp, 4WD, Great Build Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Most of the mags rate the megane R26 as their top hot hatch. A 300bhp focus RS is rumored to be arriving soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Is the new Impreza not a hot hatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Based on what I read - which is a good bit (and not on boards I might add) the OPC would be totally outclassed by the Clio,Megane,Golf,MPS, and Focus - in no particular order

Its seems to be more style than substance - but imo thats the way Opels have been for a long time.

having said that the corsa VXR - is supposed to be quite good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Anything with the new 1.4 on steroids out of the VW stable ?

Cyrus wrote: »
    what was resale like on it for you lar and why are you changing, diff colour/spec?

It's hard to tell as mine has higher mileage than most but I've got a good trade in price for it... If I sell in the meantime all the better. Average 2006 on carzone as 27,000. Not as good as a Golf, but they do come with Half Leather and bigger wheels as standard etc...

Changing for a few reasons.... My current one is red, I want the Blue and have done since day one, but got a good deal on the red, and I want the Bi-Xenons back (had them on a 2005 Astra Sport Hatch and miss them lots!) Apart from that, main reason for changing is it's 2 years old and time for a new one!

Bit of an off the wall one but what about a bmw 130i, I think the emissions are not too bad so the car tax wouldn't be huge under the new system. Very few here but you'd get one over the water. Its the only one here that would follow an Impreza up a twisty road.

Mini Cooper S??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭omega man

I chose the Mazda 3 MPS over the usual suspects; gti, r32, opc, cupra and st etc. Its 2.3 260bhp turbo engine is cracking and with plenty of gadgets like a limited slip dif etc it copes more than well with all the power in the front wheels. Some minor grip issues in the wet like any fwd car mind you. I also picked the mps for practical reasons as i have kids and didnt want a certain image either, Its a real wolf in sheeps clothes job for sure! Its also a very well spec'd car with climate, half leather, xenons and a 3 year warranty as standard, beat that! I have had zero problems after 4 months touch wood. By the way a new one now costs 38K but come july will increase from 30 to 36% vrt and tax will more than double to 2K. Worth a test drive at least.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/203332/mazda_3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    having said that the corsa VXR - is supposed to be quite good though.

img1882tp7.jpg;)

img1882tp7.jpg;)

Looks the business and it probably goes like stink.

Lets hope the steering wheel doesn't come off in your hands ;)

ronoc wrote: »

No torque steer unless you totally nail it in 1st gear only. Other than that it never steps out of line. Looks ever better with the optional 18"s but I would be on a few roads that just wouldn't agree with them. Its got 190 bhp and from reading UK sites it can easily be remapped to about 220bhp if you wanted

ronoc wrote: »

It certainly does look great.... The Recaro's in it are savage looking too.... I think I read somewhere that the Astra SXi/SRi is coming in a 1.6 Turbo version kicking out around 180bhp. Possibly the same engine... I think the Corsa is a bit overpriced, 30000. When you consider the base model is around 16000. At least with the Astra its only a jump of around 11k from base 1.4 Sporthatch to the OPC. Nearly double in the Corsa!

Sweet looking tho, just a tad on the Girly side, no offence... (especially if the thread starter is coming from an Impreza!)

Just thought of another one. Not a hatchback I know but the Mazda 6 MPS has the same HP of the Mazda 3 but with 4wd. Complete wolf in sheeps clothing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ferris wrote: »
    . Not a hatchback I know but the Mazda 6 MPS has the same HP of the Mazda 3 but with 4wd.

I do agree with that.
    I was actually talking about the OPC torque steer, and yeah you can handle it but iam afraid i will never touch an OPEL or a Vauxhall, once bitten....
    Do you know there was a recall on the corsa's cause the steering could just stop working, would that be a problem in that little bullit LONGSHANKS100.

I think come july the only thing getting cheaper is the washing machine that is the PRIUS! Its not just a green tax its a fun tax!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That will be a practically useless car to drive, I had the pleasure of driving the ST around Mondello for a day and while it was rocket quick in a straight it couldn't go around corners! How about a nice Lancia Delta :)

There are still rumors that the RS will be AWD. If it is.. I'm going to sell a kidney to get that car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hard to beat the Clio 197 for handling.

• Advertisement

LarWright wrote: »
    It certainly does look great.... The Recaro's in it are savage looking too.... I think I read somewhere that the Astra SXi/SRi is coming in a 1.6 Turbo version kicking out around 180bhp. Possibly the same engine...

You can get the 1.6 turbo engine in the Astra Sri but its actually more expensive than the corsa and its 180bhp instead of 190bhp and the astra obviously weights more too. I looked at both, and yeah the Recaro's are savage
    LarWright wrote: »
    Sweet looking tho, just a tad on the Girly side, no offence... (especially if the thread starter is coming from an Impreza!)
    None taken:D Horses for courses!
    cabrwab wrote: »
    Do you know there was a recall on the corsa's cause the steering could just stop working, would that be a problem in that little bullit LONGSHANKS100
    Yeah i hear that but from what i had read the recall was issued in Dec (UK anyways) - my car was only ordered then. I have checked with the dealer also.

Advertisement