Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Octavia or 06 Avensis ?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 12:28pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,im considering changing from my 03 passat tdi 130 brake to a newer vehicle.
    I posted on here recently about this but things have moved on since,im ready to make the move but wanted to run one question by you guys :)

Im looking at this Avensis,it seems a really good deal,i know the mechanic that serviced it and he says its as good as new.
    http://www.toyota.ie/assured-used-cars/car/334de64b-80bf-45c9-9fa9-694fd59e0dfb

Or should i go with a brand new 08 Octavia?

Both will cost me the same roughly.
    Both are lovely to drive but both are way down on power compared to what im driving now but im not too fussed about that tbh.

On the other hand should i stick with my current car with 75k miles on the clock?

Decisions decisions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don't see what has changed from your last post to be honest!

is there any reason to change other than to get a newer plate?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You have hit the nail on the head maidhc.
    It seems to be the newer plate calling to me if im being honest.
    Having said that tax is due at end of month,it needs a service at that time too,needs front brake pads soon, reckon i might need 4 tyres sometime this year too.
    I was also advised that it be no harm getting air flow meter replaced while servicing.

Thats the guts of a grand if i do all the above and thats only 3 months tax.

Over xmas period i paid 400 euros to get a new injector in cylinder one as it had a misfire,whats the chances of other injectors giving hassle?
    Thats the only reason that got me thinking of a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Depends what you want. New plate, newer plate or new plate?
    There is no comparison between a 1.6 petrol and a turoo diesel 1.9.
    Finance wise, you will drop more money on the new cars over the next 2 to 3 years. You wont loose that much on the passat.
    like I said.......new plate is it?
    Just saw your expensive x-mas story, that makes a difference allright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So you'd rather spend €20k then €1k. You've no idea what could go wrong on the Avensis. Toyota are known for their reliablity, but they still do bad cars. And there is no point in buying the Skoda now, when it should be cheaper in July and the tax will go down.

If keeping the VW tax it for a year as tax is going up 10% in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

What's wrong with the Passat that's hardly ran in yet ? Even wearing out the clutch will take you another 50-60000 miles.

No serious now, you're going to loose a hell of a lot of money on what's a perfectly good car. You're probably better of keeping it another year or two if it's not giving any significant trouble. And if you want to change at all hold your horses till July and get the TDi DSG Octavia. It's a great car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Depends on your attitude to risk - you'll have a year's warranty with the Avensis and two year's with the Octavia. Any money that you put into the Passat is dead money - it likely won't be worth any more after you've finished spending. That said, the Octavia/Avensis is going to cost you in greater depreciation than the Passat. Its a question of what'll cost you more - repairs and depreciation on the Passat or straight depreciation on the other two (guarantee will cover repairs on them).

How about a '07 diesel Octavia with only 21,000 km for 21.5k? http://www.skoda.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=802886

I'd say that with a little haggling you'd close the gap on the Avensis price and if you thought that it was sluggish you could chip/remap it to 130 bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 Avensis is a bit sluggish and economy is also on the poor side, the car is simply too heavy for a 1.6 litre engine. I had a 1.8 litre version and the economy is similar to the 1.6 as it had less work to do. Also that one in the link is the basic Aura model. I would at least hold out for a higher spec Strata or preferably go for the 1.8 in Luna trim which is generously speced.

A 1.4 litre Octavia will be woeful too coming from a 130bhp TDi. You would want to be looking at the 1.6 FSi at least for decent performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys.
    What's wrong with the Passat that's hardly ran in yet ?

Really?i did hear they are capable of huge mileage,is this true?
    Im so tempted to hold onto it for a while longer.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Stick with the passat for a while longer, you've no pressing need to get rid if it bar a small bit of maintenance. You can reconsider your decision in july if you really feel a burning need to blow some cash.

And I have a 04 avensis with 90k miles, mines a diesel though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Efioanaes wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Really?i did hear they are capable of huge mileage,is this true?
    Im so tempted to hold onto it for a while longer.

Any modern car is capable of 200k without needing big money spent on it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement