Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia router with smart telecom ?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've just switched from Eircom to Smart and I'm trying to connect to the internet using my netopia wireless router that i got with Eircom.

I can't seem to get it to work, the internet light stays red and i can't access the netopia router ip page with my smart username and password :confused:

I called smart and they said they can't help because they don't have any notion of the netopia router, so I called eircom and a really nice bloke tried to help me out. But they can't see what the problem is, I went through an awful lot of steps without any luck.

Does anyone know what I could try and do? It's been a couple of days and nothing wants to work. I'm getting very frustrated!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Edit : with a bit more searching i found this http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1323 which i shall try when i get home this evening. any other advice still welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Rozbeef wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've just switched from Eircom to Smart and I'm trying to connect to the internet using my netopia wireless router that i got with Eircom.

I can't seem to get it to work, the internet light stays red and i can't access the netopia router ip page with my smart username and password :confused:

I called smart and they said they can't help because they don't have any notion of the netopia router, so I called eircom and a really nice bloke tried to help me out. But they can't see what the problem is, I went through an awful lot of steps without any luck.

Does anyone know what I could try and do? It's been a couple of days and nothing wants to work. I'm getting very frustrated!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Edit : with a bit more searching i found this http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=1323 which i shall try when i get home this evening. any other advice still welcome!

Why are you trying to use the Smart supplied usrename/password to access the router admin page? There's no connection between them. You only need to enter this in the section of the router config for the PPPoE part.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Not sure why you are using an eircom modem for Smart service - did Smart not send you a new modem? I would be surprised if the configuration on the eircom modem would be compatible with the Smart service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Eircom is Using ASDL and Smart use ADSL2 which are not compatible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

smart didn't send me a wireless modem. only a normal one. so is there no way of getting it to work?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

smart didn't send me a wireless modem. only a normal one. so is there no way of getting it to work?

Yes it will.

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    Yes it will.

I've got it working with the yellow ethernet cable. It still won't work as a wireless router though, it's a netopia 2247NWG if that helps.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get the wireless to work?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Grommet wrote: »
    I would be surprised if the configuration on the eircom modem would be compatible with the Smart service.

If the modem is ADSL2+, then the settings are exactly the same and you only need to change the broadband username and password. Works for me with the router I had on BT broadband. The Smart supplied router was rubbish.
    Rozbeef wrote:
    Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get the wireless to work?

Did it work before on eircom broadband, or is wireless enabled on the router? If it is enabled, have you got the password for connecting, or does the wireless network show up on the PC?

jor el wrote: »
    If the modem is ADSL2+, then the settings are exactly the same and you only need to change the broadband username and password. Works for me with the router I had on BT broadband. The Smart supplied router was rubbish.

I can't fault Smarts quality or service, but they do provide some cheap and nasty routers. The new Speedtouch they're now providing seems to be a major step backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

The solution in the article worked for me, everything perfect :):)
    without the patch I had no chance...........

Spear wrote: »
    The new Speedtouch they're now providing seems to be a major step backwards.

That's the one I got. I couldn't even get it to connect. No information was supplied with the modem at all, so I was guessing at what settings to use. The configuration page for the router is also complete pants, I couldn't set the VPI/VCI numbers or practically anything else. That modem's going in the bin.

• Advertisement

Did it work before on eircom broadband, or is wireless enabled on the router? If it is enabled, have you got the password for connecting, or does the wireless network show up on the PC?

i'm still using the ethernet cable at the moment :)

when i disconnect that and try and use it as a wireless connection, it still doesn't work... the wireless, dsl and internet lights are all on. but i can't connect to the internet :(

is there any way i can go back to the original settings and start over?

i'm afraid of losing the connection altogether if i do that though!!

i'm still using the ethernet cable at the moment :)

when i disconnect that and try and use it as a wireless connection, it still doesn't work... the wireless, dsl and internet lights are all on. but i can't connect to the internet :(

is there any way i can go back to the original settings and start over?

i'm afraid of losing the connection altogether if i do that though!!

log on to your modem and check under "wireless" if this option is ticked. Then, you should check on your PC if the Wireless ID (SSID): shows up....and of course if wireless is enabled on your PC.....good luck.

supervixen wrote: »
    log on to your modem and check under "wireless" if this option is ticked. Then, you should check on your PC if the Wireless ID (SSID): shows up....and of course if wireless is enabled on your PC.....good luck.

all 3 of those things are ok. but it still won't connect when i'm on wireless. and i can't access the router page either when on wireless. only when i use the ethernet cable does it work.

all 3 of those things are ok. but it still won't connect when i'm on wireless. and i can't access the router page either when on wireless. only when i use the ethernet cable does it work.
    OK, give this a try ( I have windows XP)
    go to Start-Settings-Control Panel-Network Connections.
    There you should see check the status of your network connection....
    Then go further and right click on the"wireless network connection" and choose "properties" then scroll down to "Internet protocoll TCP-IP" and then "properties"again, here all should be set on "automatic" , if it is not automatic you should know why, otherwise set it to automatic, ( but make a note of the settings, just in case things get worse).
    I am not a technician, but I had some problems myself to solve :):)

Maybe you should disable any encryption, to check if there is a problem with the password ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

ring smart and ask them for the settings for the tcp-ip properties. i think if its set to automatic it can mess up sometimes, i know what the dns and subnet are for eircom but cant help with smart

guil07 wrote: »
    ring smart and ask them for the settings for the tcp-ip properties. i think if its set to automatic it can mess up sometimes, i know what the dns and subnet are for eircom but cant help with smart
    I have Smart, no problems with all on automatic, and as far as I see it the problem is between the PC and the Router............

I have Smart, no problems with all on automatic, and as far as I see it the problem is between the PC and the Router............

hi supervixen. thanks for trying to help!

i did what you said and went into the network connections. i had changed the properties to the options that smart gave me. so i put them all back to automatic. as soon as i did that i got the message saying that the wireless connection was "limited or had no connectivity". so i changed them back once again and it got the message "wireless connected". but i still couldn't access any web pages or the router page. the internet light was on and everything.

i've now put the yellow cable back in and it's working fine :( i really don't know what else to do.

any help would be much appreciated. i'm thinking of finding someone with a different wireless router and seeing if it would work.

so i changed them back once again and it got the message "wireless connected". but i still couldn't access any web pages or the router page. the internet light was on and everything.

When you change it back, what do you make the settings? Your IP needs to be in the same range as the router, so I'm guessing something like
    IP = 192.168.1.10
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.254 (has to be this as this is the router address)

The DNS settings for Smart are
    Primary = 84.203.254.34
    Secondary = 84.203.255.34

When connected in this manner, can you ping the router from a command prompt? To do this, open a command window (Start Run and enter cmd) then type ping 192.168.1.254

Enter ipconfig /all in the command window will give you information about your network settings. This will display IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings. See if this looks like what you entered in the Wireless adapter's TCP/IP settings.
    If you get a response, you're connected to the router.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Eircom is Using ASDL and Smart use ADSL2 which are not compatible....

Yes but the Newer Netopia 2247 modem is adsl2 compatable...

Cheers, i changed the settings back to what they were before ,ie what smart gave me over the phone.

pretty much the same as what you put down except the IP finished with 1.3 instead of 1.10. That didnt seem to make a difference though.

I got a response in the command box when the ethernet cable was connected. But I'm not getting a response when i take it out. It says unable to connect or something like that.

Just checked again and Dhcp is disabled. Does that have anything to do with it?
    When you change it back, what do you make the settings? Your IP needs to be in the same range as the router, so I'm guessing something like
    IP = 192.168.1.10
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    Gateway = 192.168.1.254 (has to be this as this is the router address)

The DNS settings for Smart are
    Primary = 84.203.254.34
    Secondary = 84.203.255.34

When connected in this manner, can you ping the router from a command prompt? To do this, open a command window (Start Run and enter cmd) then type ping 192.168.1.254

Enter ipconfig /all in the command window will give you information about your network settings. This will display IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings. See if this looks like what you entered in the Wireless adapter's TCP/IP settings.
    If you get a response, you're connected to the router.

• Advertisement

Cheers, i changed the settings back to what they were before ,ie what smart gave me over the phone.

pretty much the same as what you put down except the IP finished with 1.3 instead of 1.10. That didnt seem to make a difference though.

I got a response in the command box when the ethernet cable was connected. But I'm not getting a response when i take it out. It says unable to connect or something like that.

Just checked again and Dhcp is disabled. Does that have anything to do with it?
    I would say yes, enable it and try again, basicly what you can do on your PC is check the settings in network connection for "Local area" that's the one working and compare to "wireless" where you have the problem and make them identical.....I have the same router and Smart, no problems with wireless..

I would say yes, enable it and try again, basicly what you can do on your PC is check the settings in network connection for "Local area" that's the one working and compare to "wireless" where you have the problem and make them identical.....I have the same router and Smart, no problems with wireless..

still no luck :( tried everything you said, made the local area and wireless identical, but the wireless still won't connect..

i've know lost the local area connection aswell because i think i fiddled around too much with the settings.

i think i'm to try and get someone to lend me a wireless router and see if it works.

thanks for all your help anyway but i think i've muddled around too much now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Crystallt

Hi - I have just joined as I am having trouble with a change of router. My original router died over the week-end and I am trying to use a Netopia 3347W6 router that I have. MSN will not help as they only support their router as mine was out of warranty. Can someone walk me through as to what my settings need to be so I can get back on the Internet.

not much info there who is ur isp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Crystallt

I have Verizon MSN/Premium. I have had it for 4 years and always been fine until my modem went out. All the lights are on the modem but when I try to connect it states that it can't connect. I can get exact wording after I look at it tonight and post it tomorrow. I am working off a Toshiba Laptop.

Thank you very much.:)

i'm not sure but i think if ya ring them and get ur username and password it might work if ya just enter them, somone said it would with smart on a netopia router, worth a try

Advertisement