Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike towing a car ? Legal?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Saw this on the web its in sweden and apparently doing very well.
    But I was wandering if it was classed a a recovery vehicle would you be able to operate it over here, would towing restrictions come into play?
    Opinions please

www.comingthrough.se

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK, the towed vehicle is meant to be lighter than the towing vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Victor wrote: »

I never heard that before. We towed our Ford Sierra with a Toyota Starlet many years back, no problems. Are you saying that was illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

maybe for car parks, but it looks very dodgy to me, can't see the health and saftey guys passing it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

towing something with a towrope is a bit different to towing a vehicle attached rigidly to the towing vehicle. braking and handling will be a bit dodgy if the vehicle being towed is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Victor wrote: »

no such rule.

btw, that bike is the 2nd Gen, they've been at it for a few years now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Presume it has to have some sort of certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

indeed, I've been in another motor-industry factory in Sweden, and believe me, they wouldn't be allowed to cross the road without it being up to scratch.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

it is ont illegal to tow a car in this country with a tow rope,also the towing car/jeep etc must be 4WD but like most laws in this country poeple are not aware of them and the gardai dont enforce them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

tossy wrote: »
    ,also the towing car/jeep etc must be 4WD .

:eek::eek:....not so sure about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thats a modified Honda Goldwing. Easily powerful enough to pull a car.

Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 12-valve SOHC horizontally opposed 6-cylinder
    Engine Displacement 1,832cm3
    Bore & Stroke 74 x 71mm
    Compression Ratio 9.8:1
    Carburation PGM-FI electronic fuel injection with automatic cold start system
    Max. Power Output 87kW/5,500min-1 (95/1/EC)
    Max. Torque 167Nm/4,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

it is ont illegal to tow a car in this country with a tow rope,also the towing car/jeep etc must be 4WD but like most laws in this country poeple are not aware of them and the gardai dont enforce them.

I'd like to see the legislation/link for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Whatever about legislation, the insurance company may not allow it. Some do not cover towing vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Maybe you are getting this mixed up with double axle beaver tail or plant trailers... which I believe was a law to be brought in a few years ago... or else it was and just isn't being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

Thanks very much for the input good or bad . I originally thought this would be a very fast way of removing dead cars off the road and there for going some way towards easing traffic congestion due to a bikes faster progression through traffic
    The towing unit which is permanently attached also has its brakes linked to the bike.
    I have looked into it a bit more and I have confirmed it would be classed as a recovery vehicle but whether or not you can drive it on a motorcycle license is still a grey area.On the suject of safety its Swedish so you know its had the arse tested off it and its in use in Sweden , United Emarites ,China Canada and I have heard Germany .
    Idont expect its cheap though but could you imagine having the breakdown truck arrive and its a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

spadder wrote: »
    maybe for car parks, but it looks very dodgy to me, can't see the health and saftey guys passing it here.
    ROFLMAO

If it's safe enough for the Swedes, it's certainly safe enough for here :rolleyes:

Advertisement