Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USIT Student Work in Canada Programme

• 18-01-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I know many people in here aren't fans of USIT, but with regard to their Student Work in Canada Programme (where you register as of today to get a work visa) does anyone know how quickly they run out of places and put you onto a waiting list?

'Cos me and some friend have been thinking about it but we're still not sure
    :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crossroads07

From what i've heard there was a pretty big demand last year and some friends of mine didn't get on so i'd recommend signing up asap to avoid being put on a waiting list!

Myself and 5 friends signed up earlier this morning and there were still places left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Well usit told us that they sold out in two hours last year....I booked yesterday morning at 10 to be safe! You can still click on the book now link but I'd say it's probably just to go on a waiting list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

usit seems to be the only way to work there over the summer,

has anyone ever applied directly for a work permit form the CIC website,
    I think you need proof that you have a job first dont yeh?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

I applied for my at ten too. So i hope i get it? anyone know where's the best place to look for jobs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

lmtduffy wrote: »
    usit seems to be the only way to work there over the summer,

has anyone ever applied directly for a work permit form the CIC website,
    I think you need proof that you have a job first dont yeh?

Yep-you need to already have a job to get that Visa that way. Which is a vicious circle, as no-one will employ you without a visa. Unless you know someone over here that can offer you a job

• Advertisement

laura360 wrote: »
    I applied for my at ten too. So i hope i get it? anyone know where's the best place to look for jobs??

Depend what place you are going to. But usually if you are here for a year, you will be looking for contract work. So the best place would be the recruitment companies.

JæKæ wrote: »
    Depend what place you are going to. But usually if you are here for a year, you will be looking for contract work. So the best place would be the recruitment companies.

No..im just going for the summer. Im just lookin for handy work that will give me a social life!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Irish bars. That's what I'm looking for. Possibly going to rent a dorm in UBC also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

obl wrote: »
    Irish bars. That's what I'm looking for. Possibly going to rent a dorm in UBC also...

Be warned, UBC is very far from the city and is basically a city of its own. The skytrain is handy but you'd be far better of if you could get somewhere out in kitsilano which is far more central and near the beach. ALso just make sure you go to the beach for Canada Day, it's the best craic ever.

amull87 wrote: »
    Be warned, UBC is very far from the city and is basically a city of its own. The skytrain is handy but you'd be far better of if you could get somewhere out in kitsilano which is far more central and near the beach. ALso just make sure you go to the beach for Canada Day, it's the best craic ever.

I didn't realise it was so far out. i was looking into staying there too. But im not going to if its not central. I want to be able to go out and get home easily enough. How far is kitsilano? what other area would you recommend?

• Advertisement

Kits is just across the bridge, 5-7 mins from downtown. Other good areas are Fairview, South Granville. Commercial Drive ain't bad.
    Keep away from Richmond, Burnaby (miles away). And keep away from the East part of downtown, scummy junkie-infested area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I stayed in UBC last summer and loved it there. Lots of young people there during the summer. I would have loved to stay in Kits too but we didn't find a place there. Most of the Irish last summer ended up in UBC - be it a good or bad thing.

Advertisement