Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site C&C activethermal.ie

Options
  • 18-01-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

I built a site: www.activethermal.ie

Comments and suggestions for improvements would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

Like the colour scheme, nice layout

Logo at the top is a bit grainy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

From a quick look...

...looks like a template site. Is it? Nothing wrong with that necessarily.. it's not ugly by any means but it does look a bit generic.

...keep in mind that most people don't spend the time to read a website at first and if it's not instantly clear what the site is for and why it matters, they're likely to simply go to the next result in the Google search.

...I think your frontpage fails on the above two points. It's too generic, without any clear attention grabbing indication as to what the business is and why I should care.

Why not include the sidebar from the 'About' and other pages (everything under 'Latest News') to the frontpage too? I don't know anything about building greener homes, but I recognise the 'Power of One' logo and together with 'Combat Climate Change' and 'Greener Homes Scheme' I get a much better idea of what your website is about. Also, the scrolling 'Special Offer' bit is instantly appealing. This is front page material, imo.

Make the frontpage more appealing and I think the reset of the site is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

The logo is a bit grainy alright. I didn't actually do that so I'll try and get a better one from the guy who did.

Yeah, I used a template from styleshout.com - why re-invent the wheel! I better put a reference to them in the footer though.

GoodShape, I did originally have the grant info, latest news and other info on the front page but was asked to make it as it is now. I'll mention it again and they might reconsider.

Good points... many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On the Tips page, the paragraphs under "Utilise renewable energy sources" seem to have a different, larger font.
    Some typos:
    "Solar panels are can provide approximately" - remove 'are'
    "Heat pump act like a fridge in reverse" - pump -> pumps
    "The use of wood pellets which are carbon neutral will greatly reduces CO2 emissions" - reduces -> reduce. I would rephrase this as "Carbon neutral wood pellets will greatly reduce CO2 emissions and increase the rating of your house to A."
    "Appliances left in standby mode can consumer" - consumer -> consume

You can also add '°' before the 'C'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I echo Goodshape's good (yawn, what a pun) post above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement