Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Report Post Function

Options
  • 18-01-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭

An earlier Feedback thread (that DeV considers to be a 'Thing of Beauty' apparently ;)) got me thinking about Report Post usage.

The following text is displayed on the Report Post page:
    "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. "

This would lead the post reporter to think that he/she was limited to reporting posts that fell in the above categories. In reality the function is used to report a broader range of issues. Would it be possible to change the text to read something along the lines of:
    "Note: This may be to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts. "

A subtle change, but may remove any doubt from potential post reporters' minds as to whether they should use the function or not.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Good thinking, I remember when I first started reporting posts, I didn't associate a post that required moving to another forum with the term "problematic", thanks to the definition in brackets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, this was raised before iirc. I think it's a vB thing though, I'm not sure if it can be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I had thought of PMing the OP to delete the first post thereby deleting the whole thread just for a laugh.
    But then I thought "What would I do with a new arsehole anyway?".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you think it is disruptive and inappropriate and you think other people would also think the same, it is probably OK to report. Moderators aren't going to give out to you for reporting the occassional post.*

* Some people have the habit of constantly reporting posts, including ones that are middleing and aren't problematic as such. That is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its a vB phrase so easily changed if needed
    Standard Phrase: only_used_to_report (id: 72796)
    Varname 	$vbphrase[only_used_to_report]
    Text 	<strong>Note</strong>: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement