Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW SMG for VRT?

• 18-01-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Half thinking about an M3 - when it comes to calculating the VRT - is the SMG version classed as manual or automatic?

There's a fair difference in tax between them.

Technically is seems to me that it is a manual but when i'd bring it into the the VRO office would they see it the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Is there not an option for Semi-Automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

off topic but whats the SMG like in the m3 and m5 current models. Is it basically a DSG and is it as good as the DSG - S Tronic etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

philtaylor wrote: »
    off topic but whats the SMG like in the m3 and m5 current models. Is it basically a DSG and is it as good as the DSG - S Tronic etc.?

It's like a Selespeed in an Alfa. It is meant to be terrible from what I've read. It is basically a flappy paddle gearbox.

BMW have developed a new M DCT for the E93 M3, and that is basically a DSG gearbox. It will be rolled out into other BMW cars as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭MarkN

thelurcher wrote: »
    Half thinking about an M3 - when it comes to calculating the VRT - is the SMG version classed as manual or automatic?

There's a fair difference in tax between them.

Technically is seems to me that it is a manual but when i'd bring it into the the VRO office would they see it the same?

It's not a manual. It changes the gears for you. ;)

VRT says it's an auto.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

SMG2 is pure class way better than the manual M3 and a much faster gear change. But its down to preference as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

MarkN wrote: »
    It's not a manual. It changes the gears for you. ;)

VRT says it's an auto.

SMG stands for - Sequential Manual Gearbox
    You still have to change the gears but the hydraulics look after the clutch - but I'm wondering did anyone bring in a SMG and try and fight this case :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As thelurcher said, SMG is a manual gearbox. The clutch is electronic, but that is the only thing it has in common with a slushmatic gearbox.

The Revenue Commissioners may think otherwise but that doesn't mean they are right;).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

for VRT purposes its a manual. my mate had this conversation with aguy from the santry office when he brought his E46 in.

Advertisement