Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A router and a second router as an access point

Options
  • 18-01-2008 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi, I'm trying to avoid using a repeater for my wireless signal as I've heard it degrades the signal considerably.

I have a wireless router setup. It runs wired to one room in the house and wireless to everywhere else. The only problem is there's a big dead spot where we need a signal now.

I can run wires close to enough to the dead spot but not fully into it. I want to run a wire from the router as close as I can to the dead spot, then put a wireless access point at the end of the wire, giving a wireless signal into the dead-spot, basically extending the network from the original router.

Would a WRT54GL Linksys do the job? It's not solely an access-point but at the price range it is, I like the fact I can use it as a router in the future if I have to. I'm more worried the access-point in its description refers to it as an access-point in regards to it being the sole router in a house and people accessing wireless from it that way, not in my situation where I'm plugging it into another router and hoping it will broadcast my existing network.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

All you need to cover the dead spot is an Access point and plug it into the router as you described, will work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Thanks for your advice bushy. Do you know if the model I listed will work? From reading, it seems to be quite a well known model.

Otherwise, linksys have a similar product that seems to exist solely as an access point. They look identical but it lacks the four ports or router capability. Funnily enough it's slightly more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The WRT54GL should do the job. From what I remember in setups where you've more than one router e.g. 2 or 3 WRT54GL's you can configure one to act as a router and the others to operate in Access Point mode only granted it's been a while since I've looked at the configuration for one of these I left the last one I had in Limerick (I miss it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Thanks rmacm, I'll give it a go.

Advertisement