Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mugged for your bike while riding it?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have heard a few stories in the UK where people have been cycling a reasonably nice bike along the road when someone on the side walk has pushed them of the bike and cycled off stealing it.

Does any one know of this ever happening in Dublin?

Ollie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ollietrex wrote: »
    I have heard a few stories in the UK where people have been cycling a reasonably nice bike along the road when someone on the side walk has pushed them of the bike and cycled off stealing it.

Does any one know of this ever happening in Dublin?

Ollie

This has definitely happened in dublin - it happened last year to a middle aged woman one day at about 5pm. The guy who did it was chased down and held for the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Feck that does this mean i have to put a tracking device and an immobiliser on me Colnago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

this happened me years ago, and although i knew who done it the guards didn;t do anything about it. But i was stopped waiting to go across traffic and next thing i knew i was on the ground and my bike was off.

have heard of it happening a couple of times on the bridges on the canal, where people have been stopped waiting on the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I was dragged off my bike while in motion in a road rage incident many years ago. I swore that if I ever reckoned anyone was going to try this again, I would head straight for them. If I'm going to fall, I reckon I should aim to fall on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

although i knew who done it the guards didn;t do anything about it.

I had two bikes stolen on me before, I knew who took both of them, but the guards wouldnt do anything about it, they even admitted to my dad they were afraid of the family of one of the thiefs. And another one was stolen from right in front of me. I was on the other side of the river. And they didn't do anything.

The guards in this country are an absolute sham. They should all be fired, or sent over to the states or something.

The cops on bikes are ridiculous as well, have you seen the amount of them that are fat? Some use theyll be when push comes to shove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Oh yeah, back on topic, if something like that happens to you and you are registered with cycling ireland, i.e. eligible to race, or even if you are knocked down by a car, while cycling normally, you are covered by cycling irelands insurace. The only catch is that it has to be reported within 24hours, so if youre knocked down and in a coma, you lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Never been mugged but I once had a guy run at me and grab my arm while I was cycling. I don't think he was trying to get the bike though, I think he was just having a psychotic/drug-induced episode. (For future reference, if you're ever cycling down a street and see someone running in your direction banging on every car and door on the way - turn around!)

Advertisement