Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell to Kilkenny City

Options
  • 18-01-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Just like to say farewell to Kilkenny City football club. A pity probably to be replaced by another Dublin team. Obviously weren't too popular, hard to take on the hurling.

Anyway goodluck.

*can't post in soccer forum so put it here (delete if you want)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Another one bits the dust.

Sad to see them go, but in fairness the future never looked that bright when they get about 60 odd home supports at a game.

Another sad day for the league.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

sad news this, what a waste.
    We'll always have the 96/97 season to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea, they're offering their place to a Dublin team..

Dont we have enough teams from Dublin?

... mind you i suppose there arent many other options..

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

sad news this, what a waste.
    We'll always have the 96/97 season to remember

Alfie Hale's Black and Amber army. I remember the day we got promoted by beating Waterford. Happy days.

Seems like such a waste to have put so much money into the stadium.

Sad to see it go and fair play to Jimmy Rhattigan for years of service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I never even knew we had a football team. Maybe if Kilkenny had promoted the the football team as much as they do the hurling team they wouldn't be closing because we would know they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I never went to any of their matches despite calling myself a football fan :o

Perhaps if their ground was more city central people would have made more of an effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very sorry to hear this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I never even knew we had a football team. Maybe if Kilkenny had promoted the the football team as much as they do the hurling team they wouldn't be closing because we would know they existed.

That's part of the problem I think. Everything's so geared towards "the hurling" that other sports suffer. Gaelic football is treated with contempt and indifference and as an unwanted disctration from the real business of hurling. Eircom league football isn't sexy at the best of times but it was being played in the wrong town I think. It's a pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭longfordjames

they play in the u-20 league.do many still go?do people still bsng a drum behind a goal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Molly007 wrote: »
    What a shame. So many fanatical soccer supporters glued to ManU and Liverpool and the big English clubs on the big screens but no interest in live Soccer in the real world! Just goes to show the power of TV and marketing forces. Well done to Jimmy Rhatigan and all the other mentors and supporters who gave their time and energy and enthusiasm over the years, on cold days and nights in Buckley Park. Not easy in GAA-land! They should be honoured in some way by the people of Kilkenny. :)
    Have you ever been to a kk city game?? me and a few of my friends went to a few games about 2 years ago...what makes a match good is the atmosphere...there is none in kk unless it's hurling and i would rather claw my eyes out than go watch that sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

People behind me drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Tennypark was inaccessible to supporters without cars, the Callan Road being very unsafe for pedestrians. KCFC would not run buses to the ground.

A team that had it's beginnings as "humble" EMFA FC was never going to acquire the full support of fans of the real soccer powers in the city, Evergreen and Freebooters.

Fair play to Jimmy Rhatigan though, for having the ambition to and succeeding in bringing Ireland U-21s and League of Ireland clubs to Kilkenny. It was good while it lasted.

Thanks also to all of the volunteers who helped to keep the Tennypark ship afloat for as long as it did.

Advertisement