Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travelling to WIT.

• 18-01-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

im going to WIT on monday evening, whats the easiest wat to get there?
    im coming from kilkenny.

i know if you go accross the rice bridge, and turn left you can go through the town, or else you can go straight up the hill.
    but is there a new ring road built on the cork side, i think? if i turn right after i go accross the rice bridge, where gearaghty tyres used to be, will i come onto this road? then i can get onto the cork rd easily enough, and get to WIT easily.
    havent been down there for a while so im a wee but lost!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Ring Road is out towards Ardkeen, and it doesn't connect to WIT directly. Its a considerable distance away from where your going.

Your best of sticking to the main road, its quicker. Turning down where the garage is will bring you to a side street, which brings you to the same road if you didn't turn right and continued going straight on (well, you gotta make a few turns but more or less. Else, your heading towards the old Railway Bridge which is a dead end). You can go straight on also, but you end up at the roundabout I mention in the directions below.

My directions: Come across the bridge, turn left and drive down the quay. Continue going straight on all the way - passing the Tower Hotel at the first set of Traffic Lights, Xtra Vision and Masons at second, Harveys at the third - on approaching the Roundabout by the old Bolands Garage take the second exit (straight on) and continue going straight on past the Shell Garage (just before the lights) and past Waterford Crystal (second set of lights). Just beyond the Crystal factory you will see WITs Main Campus. :)

Summary: Turn left off Rice Bridge and continue going straight on. Pass all traffic lights the one roundabout, more lights and just beyond the Waterford Crystal is the main campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just follow the N25 (Cork) if it's a one-off and you're not familiar with the city... there's a quicker route if you have a sat-nav and it's bang up to date. Otherwise the 5 minutes you'd gain could be lost through getting lost!

I come from KK in the evenings myself, so the main delay you'll face is a 15-minute queue coming in the N9 (Sallypark) to the bridge. That eases off by 18.30, but if you're arriving before that and want to avoid it, make a left at the little roundabout in Newrath (after Auto Boland Honda garage), then right at the next roundabout, all the way past the golf club, down the Rockshire hill and right at the F-bank dualler and into town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    I come from KK in the evenings myself, so the main delay you'll face is a 15-minute queue coming in the N9 (Sallypark) to the bridge. That eases off by 18.30, but if you're arriving before that and want to avoid it, make a left at the little roundabout in Newrath (after Auto Boland Honda garage), then right at the next roundabout, all the way past the golf club, down the Rockshire hill and right at the F-bank dualler and into town.

I always felt that made little difference, there still seems to be a lengthy delay on the other side?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully wrote: »
    I always felt that made little difference, there still seems to be a lengthy delay on the other side?

Very rare for hold ups at that time going into the city from the F/Bank side.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Very rare for hold ups at that time going into the city from the F/Bank side.

Okay. Hand tip to have so! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sully wrote: »

The queues are generally the same length, but the F-bank one moves way quicker. Sallypark has to yield to all the traffic coming out of town in the evening, F-bank doesn't!

Advertisement