Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Skateboarding Website - What Do you Want?

Options
  • 18-01-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What do you want to see on a Skateboard Website for Ireland... Forums?, Tips? SkatePark Listings? Interviews?

Post your View!!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

All of the above???!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Someone that actually lives up to their post.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A shop with really cheap prices!!! lol

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

i can help you there now lads, the january sale is still on with huge savings on everything!!!

http://shop.wreckless.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

interviews, weekly edits, huge amounts of photos etc.

good forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Oh yeah and free stickers! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

another website would be cool, but we all know whats really needed is a Skateboard asscoiation. A governing body to be recognised by the Irish sports Council, so that proper funding can be made available for skateparks througout Ireland.

the other day, they gave out 13.5m to sports clubs and aassociations, and this is just the start of it as far as funding goes for the year 2008. How much do all the GAA clubs, even cricket is now receiving its own slice of the cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

A lad called Dash set up Irishskateboarding.net about 18 months ago
    - it seemed to go ok for a while but slowly went off the boil

I'd posted some updates re parks (Bushy/Greystones, etc) as they were opening but it never really seemed to take off.
    Personally I reckon www.bogginzine.com is the best Irish site
    - with Jay Dords at the helm thats understandable ;)

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lukeyuk!

:confused:everything you jsut said! but also some streetspot listings wid maps to them would be cool! ive only just moved to dublin and i cnt find anything! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

A site with content is what's needed.

Ideally all the sites out there at the moment would knock heads together and come up with one site with everyone working on it and updating it, so info isn't static and something new when you visit it in a months time.

Have all the features listed above and more, pretty much everything is available there for it now. Maybe polls/surveys to find out what people think/want to see happen in Ireland. Have a blog with articles by skaters for skaters. Find out why BMXers cutting up ledges is the biggest kick in the teeth for some sweet spots. Explain how you'll get away with waxing up ledges but tagging near them will fcuk up spots and in a few months it wont be a spot anymore.

A photo gallery with ONLY good quality pics, keep the standard high and the standard of skating will be high as a result. Dont discriminate, dont have the same few skaters up all the time, vary the skaters, spots, tricks, styles, angles, etc. Run photo competitions, insist that every Irish skate video made has a section for photos at the end to show what's really going on out there, not just the guys in the vids.

An online shop is the key to this, good prices and delivery service of Irish goods, good info on stuff being sold. Even have a deposit system (or something like it) so people could express interest in items and when there are enough number to buy the stuff in bulk, put in the order. Details of Irish companies so you can support them with the expectation they will put the money back into the industry here.

Info on legislation, grants, associations, lobby groups and what to do to get more out of your local council. Anything that will make it easier to actually skate. Views on park designed and companies, costings with other companies. Whats needed for companies to get in on the tender process with councils for building parks etc. Lobby group to get councils to wake up to duds that are out there. Interview the Minister for Sport and ask him what he is going to do to get your vote.

Full updated calendar of events from all over the country, there could be something on pretty much every weekend and they would be ripping if more people turned up, had they known about them. The more people turn up, the easier it is to put stuff on. Details of buses to events to make it easier to get there. Make it easier for people to travel over from England for events by supplying them with every detail they might possibly need. Have Ireland as the place to be and see guys come over with different styles and tricks and rip up parks and spots in ways you never thought of.

Details on venues on where to put events on? Security issues for comps (Rent a-thug companies to avoid so you don't have bouncers tossing kids out the door head first), insurance costs, sound costs for a decent PA at events. Best ways to advertise events.

Places to stay like hostels in each area. Info on Skate friendly bars/shops, who maybe in exchange might sponsorship for events. Cheaper train tickets if four of you travel together (ask about it, you can half your train fare)

Media, video premier events from Irish companies, news paper articles, magazine articles, lobby to get RTE to show more events. radio interviews, podcasts with an genuine insight into where skating is going in Ireland. A regular column in Freeflow and give them updates to their website

Basically everyone working together to improve the situation. Email site owners of all the sites made by skaters that only have tumble weed blowing across them now and get them to scrap what they have and put it all together on one site. Wipe the floor with what's out there and kick on and improve the flow of real info. One good design, loads of people giving content.

There is some much that can be done its not real.

Kingpin_dave cannot do it all on his own. Every other site out there trying to go it alone haven't managed it. Take all the old sites down and leave a link to ONE WEBSITE that people will use from all over the country. Have 20 people all focused on content and have it interesting and worth going back for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kingpin_dave

Thanks Cork_Skate for you input and to all the others who replied!!! :)

I think we should take this thread in another direction... As mentioned above, i would need to contact the guys already posting news and info about skating in ireland and get them to collaborate and post in one thread. I was in contact with the guy who owns skateboarding.ie ( as this is no1 in google for "Skateboarding" search) and he said the site is not up due to lack of content (so far) / unable to get a constant source of articles /posts and that he will not Go live until he can guarantee a constant updated news (which is good). So i think the way forward is to collaborate.

I am trying to make a list of "IRISH ONLY" blogs / Websites skaters use for news...Here is what i have so far...

http://www.kingsofconcrete.com/
    http://www.boardercoeire.com/ (great site)
    [SIZE=-1]www.wreckless.ie/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]www.goreyskateclub.com/[/SIZE]
    http://irishrolling.com/
    http://www.bogginzine.com/
    [SIZE=-1]www.g1skatesupply.net/ (forums)

Maybe post your skate info sites??
    [/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Crazyscotty

Everyone who owns skate shops and who is interested in keeping skateboarding alive these days and for the future keep reading!

All we need to do is to promote skateboarding a lot more than is being done now, set up an Irish skate magazine that is available to everyone evrywhere, set up skate events and skate days more often and and put up posters for skaters to see about these events and skate days.Pro teams need to make more appearances to keep the dream of getting sponsored alive for skaters.

i won't be able to do much about the magazine or events cause i'm broke but it's just an idea to keep skateboarding alive!
    please reply

I also do skate photography so if anyone wants to check out my photos just go to www.bebo.com/quitscrewingaround
    Scotty

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

You got some nice photos there :)

I think it would be great if you had some tips on starting and improving syour skating, e.g places to practise if your a beginner, shops to get cheap gear in.

Also a map with good spots marked off e.g a link to google world and mark them off there.

It is also very true that you should try and talk to other site crreators and try and combine ideas etc.

Good luck with it aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

A site which is not confined to the dublin scene :). (I know there are already some, but alot of the bigger sites are dublin only)

Advertisement