Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asians and their single long fingernail, WTF?!

• 18-01-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Exactly what it says on the tin. Ive always wondered about this, i see it time and time again, whats the story with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Its for peeling the skin off chickens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Snorting coke off was what I'd heard but may just be BS, they weren't refering to Asians having it at the time, just people in general having one long fingernail, on only one hand, while all the rest are trimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

for playing guitar is what i heard. that could be bs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

RonMexico wrote: »

26 posts in 2 years from you.

... but that one my good man is fooking priceless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

hopalong85 wrote: »
    for playing guitar is what i heard. that could be bs too.

Don't play myself but just guessing; would that not need to be specifically the thumbnail in order for it to help pluck the strings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

bedlam wrote: »
    supposedly a sign of status, indicating that the person does not do manual labour.

And they also use for picking their ears and nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its a secret Kung Fu symbol & used for slitting the throats of those who cross them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

snyper wrote: »
    26 posts in 2 years from you.

... but that one my good man is fooking priceless :D

I forgot I registered when drunk one night. Then I tried to register again which lead to much confusion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

They just like to get dirt underneath em,make it look like they do something!

.. it would be handy for picking the crusty bits out of those hard to reach places

• Advertisement

For scraping the dangleberries off their undercarriage after releasing the chocolate hostage(s). They can't use jax roll cos their sewage system is, pardon the pun, shyte.

RonMexico wrote: »
    LOL
    .. it would be handy for picking the crusty bits out of those hard to reach places

O dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

supposedly a sign of status, indicating that the person does not do manual labour.

status is what i figured/heard too
    old old custom?

http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/08/09/3654647/311xInlineGallery.jpg

.. its been a long time since that woman gave anyone a "hand shandy"

In the old days in China, long fingernails were a sign you were rich and didn't do manual labor. Now they grow out the pinkie as a sign of culture, breeding and wealth. No doubt there's some truth to this. A bit of browsing turns up photos of ornate fingernail protectors worn by ladies of the imperial Chinese court. Bizarre though such talons may seem to some, one could argue that as an indicator of culture, breeding, and wealth they beat having to buy a Jaguar and read Proust.

In the 19th century in the Balkans, white-collar workers, such as clerks, grew their fingernails long to distinguish them from people in lower classes who worked with their hands.

Some guitar players, notably classical and fingerstyle players, will purposely grow long nails on the hand they use to pluck the strings. Their longer nails serve as small, easily-maneuverable guitar picks. For some serious musicians, daily nail care can become a mark of pride and dedication.

In comparison, pianists must keep their nails trimmed short to avoid clicking noises on the keys and avoid dangerous situations where in fast passages the nail may be caught under a key and rip off, and most string players, such as violinists and guitarists, must keep at least the nails on their fretting hand short to allow the strings to be fingered correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a chinese fella i worked with years ago said it was to show that the bloke was a virgin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

Nasty...nasty....nasty

a chinese fella i worked with years ago said it was to show that the bloke was a virgin

... time to start cutting my nails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As is being overweight. Many of the business owners are overweight there. I did spot many with the nails too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

come on now, we all know its for doing "hoover" off..coins and keys are so scarce these days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Its to make that finger look the same length as the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I worked with a Chinese girl and asked her what was the deal with the long fingernail on the pinky and that's the reason she gave me.

Incidentally, I also worked in a Chinese Takeaway and the Chefs used to use the fingernail as a kinda scoop adding liquids and the like to the Wok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Should we re-introduce the Irish extra-long thumbnail? It was mentioned on a programme recently, it was apparently used for peeling spuds. Go on, be a trendsetter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Gold. :)

Its for the co-ki-ane, i know, i used to be Asian.

wtf??? used to be asian??? wat are you now???:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/08/09/3654647/311xInlineGallery.jpg

.. its been a long time since that woman gave anyone a "hand shandy"
    Christ, what does she do when she's alone and fancies a bit of, you know, "button-pressing"...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Its for cleaning ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I worked with a Chinese girl and asked her what was the deal with the long fingernail on the pinky and that's the reason she gave me.

Incidentally, I also worked in a Chinese Takeaway and the Chefs used to use the fingernail as a kinda scoop adding liquids and the like to the Wok.

Eeeww! Thats the last time I eat chinese!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mairt wrote: »
    Its a secret Kung Fu symbol & used for slitting the throats of those who cross them.

Casanova Frankenstein wants a word.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Dudess wrote: »
    Christ, what does she do when she's alone and fancies a bit of, you know, "button-pressing"...?

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!! Maybe she's flexible and has worked out how to do it with her toes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ExpectantMum

Black.
    totally confused now :S

Dudess wrote: »

Button pressing?

Im not aware of this button.. where is it.. between her 2 eyes? :D

I keep my thumb nails longer than the rest. This is generally for picking up coins and opening cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

totally confused now :S

Are you American by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

popular among chinese wannabe gangsters, pimps and general ne'erdowells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Button pressing?

Im not aware of this button.. where is it.. between her 2 eyes? :D
    Meh, may as well be for all some guys know... OUCH!!!

^ theheheheehehe :D

Advertisement