Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And you's always wonder...

• 18-01-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

...why us Eircom league fans are so bitter towards you foreign club supporting "fans".

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0118/kilkennycity.html

So thats make it two teams out of existence in two years and two of the most successful Irish clubs on the edge of non-excistence.:rolleyes: And you wonder why we're so bitter.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

The clubs have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

raheny red wrote: »
    The clubs have nobody to blame but themselves.
    Hmmm...dunno about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hurray! Another EL / PL debate! Support your local team etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Jim Rhatigan was on Off the Ball last night.
    He said that the club never had the money to put a good product on the field and as a result people were not willing to pay to watch a poor product.
    It was a good interview.

I see that Sporting Fingal are tipped to replace them.

That is just what the league need, another Dublin club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't blame us just because the locals there would rather watch hurling.

As for bitterness towards us foreign club supporting fans, I got interested in football in the first place due to watching a foreign club that boasted some of the best players this country had.

The Irish domestic scene is a joke at the minute let's be honest. I would be willing to commit to supporting the domestic scene but since my local team is Bohemians who are about to piss off four miles away due to their lucrative cash deal, what am I to do if I want to support my local side? I have friends who are supporters of Bohs and they're totally disillusioned with what's going on and these days seem more and more interested with the Premiership.

With all this talk of an all Ireland league perhaps the fortunes of the domestic clubs will improve in a few years, but personally speaking right now I feel no affinity to any of the clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

but since my local team is Bohemians who are about to piss off four miles away due to their lucrative cash deal
    :eek:
    4 whole miles? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

...why us Eircom league fans are so bitter towards you foreign club supporting "fans".

So thats make it two teams out of existence in two years and two of the most successful Irish clubs on the edge of non-excistence.:rolleyes: And you wonder why we're so bitter.:confused:

its completely there own fault.how much marketing do they do?how aware do they make youngsters of the league?its barely on tv.the clubs do nothing to help themselves,they need to get youngsters intrested in the league and make it a community thing,they dont give it enough exporsure,whos fault it is,i dont know but you cant blame fans supporting foreign team,when half of kids dont even know the league exists,that says it all really.farcycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

dc69 wrote: »
    its completely there own fault.how much marketing do they do?how aware do they make youngsters of the league?its barely on tv.the clubs do nothing to help themselves,they need to get youngsters intrested in the league and make it a community thing,they dont give it enough exporsure,whos fault it is,i dont know but you cant blame fans supporting foreign team,when half of kids dont even know the league exists,that says it all really.farcycle

Are you planning on funding this cause, as evidenced, the clubs certainly can't?

Savman wrote: »
    :eek:
    4 whole miles? :p

I'm a student. A 4 minute walk does me in. :)

Although since I'm in UCD I guess I could always throw my weight behind their team but that college pisses me off big time so it's unlikely. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Sad to hear the news Kilkenny City will not have a team this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So if a local GAA team goes to the wall, are all you EL fans going to own up to being horrible people and not real fan sat all because you dotn support your local "irsih" sport team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well from next season rté are showing a weekly highlights show and more live games than they've ever shown, so that will be a bit of extra cash and exposure for top division teams.

I don't know if it's going to feature any lower divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Stekelly wrote: »
    So if a local GAA team goes to the wall, are all you EL fans going to own up to being horrible people and not real fan sat all because you dotn support your local "irsih" sport team?

Was this an actual valid question or just you being silly? They're 2 different sports. How many soccer fans claim to like GAA? Some but most certainly not all. Get a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Doesnt really matter to be honest. As soon as the GAA becomes professional, there will be no room in the Irish home market for soccer. GAA will take all the players and the cash from tv.

Edit to add: It would also have a huge effect on the rugby players base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

The Irish domestic scene is a joke at the minute let's be honest. I would be willing to commit to supporting the domestic scene but since my local team is Bohemians who are about to piss off four miles away due to their lucrative cash deal, what am I to do if I want to support my local side?

i know for a fact that they'll still be closer than the nearest PL team....
    a 4 mile move doesnt make a good argument!

i think promotion and advertising is lacking in the EL.
    why not take a leaf outta other sports books...dogs and horses have rebranded themselves as days/nights out and now offer great facilities for patrons. if a few EL teams built a stand like shelbourne park and made matches into nights out it would improve their finances through bigger gates.
    i know its not ideal but the league have to do something different coz what their currently doing to market the league simply isnt working.

im talking crap amnt i!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

:rolleyes:

The EL is, generally, around league3/4 standard tops in English terms. The best players from the EL will get poached by any club who can afford them between League 2 and the prem. Believe me, Id love if Ireland had 3 or 4 teams that could cut it even at UEFA Cup level, never mind CL, but until enough money is put into a club to buy good foreign players and hold onto the good Irish ones, it will not happen. It is a simple, sad fact- smaller football nations act as feeders for the biggies- Ireland for England, ex African colonies for the French league, Eastern Europe for the Bundesliga. All of this leaves clubs back in these countries making up the numbers with mediocre players. Some EL heads seem to think people are duty bound to go and watch average football. Can you imagine how amateur the domestic league in Malta or Liechteinstein is? As a neutral could you honestly sit down and enjoy a game between two Moldovan clubs in the same way you can enjoy a game between Man U and Chelsea without actually supporting either? Its sad the club has gone down, but with bad management at board level it can happen to anyone. Just look at Leeds.

Also, the lads are right. Its a lack of promotion. If your dad never took you to Bohs or Shels matches its unlikely you will have an affinity for them. They need to catch kids the same way Man U and Liverpool do- get their jerseys out there as the ones every 10 year old wants, more tv coverage etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Look, if the Eircom league was in any way entertaining I would watch it. I'd love to be able to go to games locally and enjoy them. You may say that the only way to get things to improve is to support the teams anyway which will eventually generate more revenue and the standard of football may improve.

Well, I'm not willing to do that. I couldn't be arsed watching piss poor football in the hope that 'one day' things will improve. I watch football to be entertained and for this, I need to look beyond the shores of Ireland.

Its a vicious circle - noone wants to watch the eircom league because the standard is so low. The standard wont improve unless people watch and support it. Also, any decent players will be bought up abroad. Its an unfortunate catch 22 situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

prendy wrote: »
    if a few EL teams built a stand like shelbourne park and made matches into nights out it would improve their finances through bigger gates.
    Yeah, because eL clubs have money coming out of their arses, don't they?

Who the hell is going to pay for these facilities.

In case you didn't know Kilkenny City went out of business today, we lost Dublin City two seasons ago, Shelbourne were relegated for the first division, when they were Premier Division Champions, and Shamrock Rovers went into administration, or liquidation I can't remember exactly which it was.

Why? No money.
    prendy wrote: »
    im talking crap amnt i!!!!!
    Pretty much, yeah.

shane86 wrote: »
    If your dad never took you to Bohs or Shels matches its unlikely you will have an affinity for them.
    My dad never took me to Tolka Park in his life.

Is there state investment in the eL / GAA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My next door neighbour was playing for Dublin City when they disbanded.

One day he had a job, the next he didn't.

No real notice given at all.

They'd only been promoted too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

As for bitterness towards us foreign club supporting fans, I got interested in football in the first place due to watching a foreign club that boasted some of the best players this country had.

So did I, BUT I woke up after a few years partly going to Shels games. Now I'm a season ticket holder/away tripper.

Mr.Nice Guy you mentioned Kilkenny locals prefering watching hurling, 100% true, but how can you explain the non-existence of Dublin City in 2006?

This wasn't meant to be a El/PL-SPL topic, just highlighting the fall of another Irish club, in my eyes due to lack of fans.

There is state investment in the GAA.

Er...who built Croker? The Taxpayer. They have also just given money to the GPA haven't they?

There is no state investment in the eL.

Yes, there is state investment in the FAI, but they care less about the eL than the Olé brigade tbh.

GAA yes.
    eL not directly as far as I know, sure if the FAI don't bloody fund it properly why would the Government.

Tusky wrote: »
    Look, if the Eircom league was in any way entertaining I would watch it. I'd love to be able to go to games locally and enjoy them. You may say that the only way to get things to improve is to support the teams anyway which will eventually generate more revenue and the standard of football may improve.

Well, I'm not willing to do that. I couldn't be arsed watching piss poor football in the hope that 'one day' things will improve. I watch football to be entertained and for this, I need to look beyond the shores of Ireland.

Its a vicious circle - noone wants to watch the eircom league because the standard is so low. The standard wont improve unless people watch and support it. Also, any decent players will be bought up abroad. Its an unfortunate catch 22 situation.

It's so disheartening to read comments like that. I thought people would take pride in the prospect of having a good national league but clearly not.

The standard isn't 'piss poor' as you say. Is Kevin Doyle piss poor? There is good and bad like in every league. If you consider yourself a 'football supporter' and not just a fan of the glitz and glammer then it should be no hassle to go watch your local team on a Friday night and still have your big league fix on a Saturday and Sunday.

The league will never prosper if attitudes like yours don't give it a dig out.

Hmmm, if the GAA goes pro the eL could be in serious trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's so disheartening to read comments like that. I thought people would take pride in the prospect of having a good national league but clearly not.

The standard isn't 'piss poor' as you say. Is Kevin Doyle piss poor? There is good and bad like in every league. If you consider yourself a 'football supporter' and not just a fan of the glitz and glammer then it should be no hassle to go watch your local team on a Friday night and still have your big league fix on a Saturday and Sunday.

The league will never prosper if attitudes like yours don't give it a dig out.

Lovely post. Not condescending and straight to the point.

To the people who say the standard is shíte,

How many eL games have you been to in your lifetime?

You cannot judge a league on one game, five games or ten games, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hmmm, if the GAA goes pro the eL could be in serious trouble...

Pats offered jason byrne 3k a week and 60 grand signing on fee, bohs offered him more and same signing on fee.

Will gaa players get more than that?

Shame to see kilkenny go but technically they not gone just moved down a divison which in my eyes will help the 1st division become morecompetitive if theirs relegation in some form.

kdjac

• Advertisement

So did I, BUT I woke up after a few years partly going to Shels games. Now I'm a season ticket holder/away tripper.

Mr.Nice Guy you mentioned Kilkenny locals prefering watching hurling, 100% true, but how can you explain the non-existence of Dublin City in 2006?

Well I was never quite sure who Dublin City were directed at.

The 'support your local side' mentality is one I do admire but pretty soon my local side won't be so local any more and I've no intention of travelling miles to watch a side that upped and left my area.

With that being the case I'll have to settle for supporting the Irish team for the forseeable future.

People who bought stuff in carrols on westmoreland street as far as i know.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Tusky wrote: »
    Look, if the Eircom league was in any way entertaining I would watch it.

So, by deduction, you are saying that the Eircom League is in no way entertaining.

If so, that is among the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on these boards. If you had mentioned the standard of football I might have ignored it, but no, it just isn't entertaining...

Funny that, because I actually find it more entertaining than most leagues.

The 'support your local side' mentality is one I do admire but pretty soon my local side won't be so local any more and I've no intention of travelling miles to watch a side that upped and left my area.

With that being the case I'll have to settle for supporting the Irish team for the forseeable future.

I think GAA fans, at their matches all the kids had Dublin GAA flags.

Your second point is unfortunately what we call Modern Football, clubs jump at an offer for money which I can't blame them in this league.

Just remember people no eircom League, no Óle Óle brigade (international team) to support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

To the EL mafia,

It is none of your ****ing business who anyone chooses to support.

Plus you should count yourselves almost lucky. The crack you have at matches is probably far superior to most PL matches where half the crowd are people who have idea about the team they are there to watch, the history and traditions of the club or area only there on coporate tickets, stag weekends etc etc.

And in conclusion, its none of your ****ing business who anyone chooses to support.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

DesF wrote: »
    There is state investment in the GAA.

Er...who built Croker? The Taxpayer. They have also just given money to the GPA haven't they?

There is no state investment in the eL.

Yes, there is state investment in the FAI, but they care less about the eL than the Olé brigade tbh.

BUT the government cant tell the FAI how to spend their grants. the fact IS that soccer DOES get funding.
    To the people who say the standard is shíte,

How many eL games have you been to in your lifetime?

You cannot judge a league on one game, five games or ten games, imo.

i go to alot of EL games and IMO it is ****e...why do i go? to support my team.
    the stadiums iv visited are mostly ****e the football is mostly ****e. I go because i enjoy live matches and the atmosphere at them.
    Who the hell is going to pay for these facilities.

who paid for the dogs?
    they get less funding than soccer but are 10000 time better run and now have 10 top quality stadiums around the country.

the biggest problem with soccer in Ireland is the people who run soccer in Ireland

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    To the EL mafia,

Plus you should count yourselves almost lucky. The crack you have at matches is probably far superior to most PL matches where half the crowd are people who have idea about the team they are there to watch, the history and traditions of the club or area only there on coporate tickets, stag weekends etc etc.

And in conclusion, its none of your ****ing business who anyone chooses to support.

Thank you.

You don't have to support a team to go to a game. Football fans will watch any game once it has a ball being kicked by two teams.

To the EL mafia,

Thank you.

Move along now. Off to Liverpool with you.:rolleyes:

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Funny that, because I actually find it more entertaining than most leagues.

Thats cos your there, your hardly gonna cheer a real madrid throw on tv, but if your at a game you will cos it gives you the ball.

kdjac

Move along now. Off to Liverpool with you.:rolleyes:

not until next weekend unfortunately but i wish i was ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

So by a lot of your understanding, we should follow Irish clubs and not foreign clubs? I take it then that all your clothes are Irish made, you only watch Irish produced television and film and listen to U2 and Christy Moore yes?

Off on your f*cking bike, we'll support whoever the f*ck we want to support and if you dont like it, tough sh*t.

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Thats cos your there, your hardly gonna cheer a real madrid throw on tv, but if your at a game you will cos it gives you the ball.

You reckon?

I was actually referring to the fact that the league tends to go down to the wire a lot these days, as do the relegation battles.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54901126#post54901126

thats you typing that post isnt? Cos man utd fans support ronaldo?

Not sure but it is you yeah? i mean your basically slating man utd fans for supporting and defending ronaldo and you even put in about you defending gerrard......

just to be clear that is you posting exaclty the same thing the EL fans here post about ie defending and supporting your team.....

you yes?

:)

kdjac

Archimedes wrote: »
    So by a lot of your understanding, we should follow Irish clubs and not foreign clubs?

Can you name me one other country in Europe which has an obession which foriegn clubs? I know the Liverpool army with mention Spain or Scandinavia but the fact is their national league don't suffer as a result.

Would you support the Irish International side as a matter of interest?

So by a lot of your understanding, we should follow Irish clubs and not foreign clubs? I take it then that all your clothes are Irish made, you only watch Irish produced television and film and listen to U2 and Christy Moore yes?

Off on your f*cking bike, we'll support whoever the f*ck we want to support and if you dont like it, tough sh*t.

As I just said in a post, why do you have to support a team who's playing to go to a game? Why not go to a game on a Friday then hit the town straight after? Football then booze and women all in the one night.

I've never once said people should stop supporting foreign teams, I'm more City than I'll ever be Shels, but it is possible to support more than one team.

when i clicked on that it was this thread?

but anyway, there is a major difference between supporting someones actions and telling someone wat club or nationality of club they should support. If you cant see the difference, i fear for you, i really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

More of the same boring bull****, watch whatever you want, just dont be complaining when the national team has pisspoor managers turning down interviews for the job.

when i clicked on that it was this thread?

but anyway, there is a major difference between supporting someones actions and telling someone wat club or nationality of club they should support. If you cant see the difference, i fear for you, i really do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54892840#post54892840

thats the post, i dont care who anyone supports i support a club with an owner worth more than all of yours(except chelsea), do enjoy these threads tho ....lol

Always funny and interesting, only thing i ate is people slating things based on never seeing it or something they heard. Its like the mate who slates a movie cos it looks crap in the trailer without even knowing what its about...god damn annoying that is.

kdjac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    but it is possible to support more than one team.

see, to me, that is totally not the case. in fact supporting more than one team imo, goes against the very nature of supporting a team.

just my opinion. not a dig at you.

Slow down there Schumacher. Who is saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I actually couldn't give a toss, Im not arguing over why you think its wrong for us to support EPL sides - you may be right, most likely your'e wrong - im not interested in that. Like Mr. Alan said though, its just none of your f*cking business who we choose the support.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement