Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And you's always wonder...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr Alan wrote: »
    see, to me, that is totally not the case. in fact supporting more than one team imo, goes against the very nature of supporting a team.

just my opinion. not a dig at you.

It doesn't "go against the very nature of supporting a team" in the slightest. Not going to matches does though.

And that isn't a dig at you either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Archimedes wrote: »
    I actually couldn't give a toss, Im not arguing over why you think its wrong for us to support EPL sides - you may be right, most likely your'e wrong - im not interested in that. Like Mr. Alan said though, its just none of your f*cking business who we choose the support.

Seriously man calm down. Ever watch a game as a neutral either on tv or in person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You don't have to support a team to go to a game. Football fans will watch any game once it has a ball being kicked by two teams.

So why arent the boards games drawing hundreds of these "football fans"?

Meh, either way I dont care. I'm not going to feel guilty about supporting who I want to support.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »

Funny that, because I actually find it more entertaining than most leagues.

Comedy value doesnt count, thats what tv and films are for. :D

I actually couldn't give a toss, Im not arguing over why you think its wrong for us to support EPL sides - you may be right, most likely your'e wrong - im not interested in that. Like Mr. Alan said though, its just none of your f*cking business who we choose the support.

Why exclusively English teams though? I support an English team, an Irish team, a team from the States, a team from Canada... whoever the f*ck I want to as well.

The only thing about supporting an Irish team is its so bloody handy to go and watch live football, which is the true essence of the sport.

Stekelly wrote: »

Lack of advertisement?

Lack of advertisement?

Well get des on the case and the team can be filling a 5000 seater stadium within the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Your all talking about a Foreign sport, you should be ashamed our forefathers didn't die for you Eircom Leagues fans to support a foreign sport or for you Premier League fans to follow teams in that awful country that opressed us. Support GAA or support you

Wait no that opinion is as about as old and sad as EL fans demanding fans of soccer follow teams that make a very sad attempt of playing the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Seriously man calm down. Ever watch a game as a neutral either on tv or in person?

Yes, I have - loads of times. If the match is crap, I'll change channel. Same way Ive been to see Kilkenny City, who inspired this thread, a few times. The matches were awful so I had no intention of going to see them again. Whats your point?

DesF wrote: »
    To the people who say the standard is shíte,

How many eL games have you been to in your lifetime?

You cannot judge a league on one game, five games or ten games, imo.

My dad played in it, says its ****e and doesnt support a team in it. He's a Chelsea fan and has been since he was a kid.

Because people are too spoilt for choice nowadays. You can snuggle up in front of the TV and watch four or five matches on Sunday and not have to shift your arse..

So I take it your saturdays/sundays are (were) spent down the local park watching a game instead of the premiership on tv , even when City are on?

• Advertisement

Meh, either way I dont care. I'm not going to feel guilty about supporting who I want to support.

Because people are too spoilt for choice nowadays. You can snuggle up in front of the TV and watch four or five matches on Sunday and not have to shift your arse.

Years ago there were always people going to watch their Sunday league teams. It was a community thing. Now you're lucky to get one dad who's using it as an excuse to walk the dog. It's just over-exposure and being spoilt.

Yes, I have - loads of times. If the match is crap, I'll change channel. Same way Ive been to see Kilkenny City, who inspired this thread, a few times. The matches were awful so I had no intention of going to see them again. Whats your point?

I just fail to believe that if you went to a few eL games that everyone would be sh*te. Plus it's live football. That in itself is a great thing. I'm not saying give up your armchair, just get the best of both worlds.

Why exclusively English teams though? I support an English team, an Irish team, a team from the States, a team from Canada... whoever the f*ck I want to as well.

The only thing about supporting an Irish team is its so bloody handy to go and watch live football, which is the true essence of the sport.

I support one team, but I follow many. It just so happens that none of them are Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It doesn't "go against the very nature of supporting a team" in the slightest. Not going to matches does though.

And that isn't a dig at you either.

Dont worry i aint taking it as a dig to me. i go to matches as regularly as i can.

to me, it does go against the nature of following a team, pet hate of mine is people who follow Liverpool and Celtic, United and Barcelona etc etc. who the **** do you support if the teams meet?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe its somewhat different with the EL cause they aint realistically gonna face any of the big english clubs in Europe, but i aint so sure.

I just fail to believe that if you went to a few eL games that everyone would be sh*te. Plus it's live football. That in itself is a great thing. I'm not saying give up your armchair, just get the best of both worlds.

Im sorry but why is it so hard to believe that the EL doesnt appeal to me? Ive been to matches, and for whatever reason, I didnt enjoy them. Thats the impression they left on me.

So I take it your saturdays/sundays are (were) spent down the local park watching a game instead of the premiership on tv , even when City are on?

Sunday mornings were yes because I watched a game then played mine then went home. At senior level I played Saturday afternoon. And I've never had Sky.

Oh and I was a journalist who covered local games so yeah I spent every Sunday watching local league and thoroughly enjoyed it no matter the standard.

• Advertisement

to me, it does go against the nature of following a team, pet hate of mine is people who follow Liverpool and Celtic, United and Barcelona etc etc. who the **** do you support if the teams meet?!?!?!?!?!

Wear one jersey over the other and make numerous quick trips to the toilet?

Im sorry but why is it so hard to believe that the EL doesnt appeal to me? Ive been to matches, and for whatever reason, I didnt enjoy them. Thats the impression they left on me.

I'm sure you've not enjoyed United games. Didn't stop you watching the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

bump: kilkenny city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Maybe it's time for the FAI to start thinking about following rugby's lead and create 4 provincial teams, which would have enough money in the coffers, to attract a caliber of player rivaling the premiership, keep good players in Ireland, and possibly having a shot at the Champion's League.

There are of course many problems with this idea, but it's worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Blisterman wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for the FAI to start thinking about following rugby's lead and create 4 provincial teams, which would have enough money in the coffers, to attract a caliber of player rivaling the premiership, keep good players in Ireland, and possibly having a shot at the Champion's League.

As a separate thing to the Eircom League yeah?

• Advertisement

The reason I support United is because they were the first team I ever saw playing. They were playing Liverpool, and because my brothers were Liverpool fans, naturally I backed for United and it just stuck. My affection for the club grew over the years and yes, youre right - there have been matches I havent enjoyed and I have watched next week. Thats my affection for the club showing but I just find it impossible to grow an affection for an EL side at this age. Maybe if my Dad had brought me to a few Kilkenny City matches as a child things would be different, but he didnt because he didnt like the EL either - maybe for the same reasons. So don't blame me for that, the problem lies with the FAI where they would rather arrange glamour friendlies and squander the money on a ridiculously overpaid manager who will ultimately fail for the national team. Non EL fans are not the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No it isnt. There'd be no league for them to play in for starters.

The reason I support United is because they were the first team I ever saw playing. They were playing Liverpool, and because my brothers were Liverpool fans, naturally I backed for United and it just stuck. My affection for the club grew over the years and yes, youre right - there have been matches I havent enjoyed and I have watched next week. Thats my affection for the club showing but I just find it impossible to grow an affection for an EL side at this age. Maybe if my Dad had brought me to a few Kilkenny City matches as a child things would be different, but he didnt because he didnt like the EL either - maybe for the same reasons. So don't blame me for that, the problem lies with the FAI where they would rather arrange glamour friendlies and squander the money on a ridiculously overpaid manager who will ultimately fail for the national team. Non EL fans are not the problem.

It certainly doesn't help when you've got half the nation saying you're a joke. We all know the big wigs are a disaster. That's no reason to turn your back on our national league to be fair.

And it certainly doesn't help when its fans are bitter and arrogant towards non EL fans. My back isnt turned because I dislike the FAI, my back is turned because the FAI have made no effort to bring the league to my attention when I was young and most impressionable. I didnt know the EL even existed until I was at least 10 years old...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm seriously conflicted here.

I support Shels, do my bit for the EL, nowhere near what some of you do but I do my bit.

Now with all this talk of Sporting Fingal entering the 1st Division in Kilkenny's place, and Bohs moving to Harristown, I've realised that both sides will be closer to my current abode than Tolka Park (and I grew up in Portrane, and played Gaelic Football on Turvey Avenue as a youngster) is.

Do I continue to support the EL side I've supported since I first say Ray Duffy awkwardly head a ball clear from the Shels back 4, or support my local team(s)?

Shels are still a local team. Drogheda would probably be nearer to me(harder to get to though) than Shels but Shels are still a local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The EL should have it's own forum. This thread has happened way too many times, and going over it again and again is not solving anything.

It's like a toilet thread on After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm seriously conflicted here.

I support Shels, do my bit for the EL, nowhere near what some of you do but I do my bit.

Now with all this talk of Sporting Fingal entering the 1st Division in Kilkenny's place, and Bohs moving to Harristown, I've realised that both sides will be closer to my current abode than Tolka Park (and I grew up in Portrane, and played Gaelic Football on Turvey Avenue as a youngster) is.

Do I continue to support the EL side I've supported since I first say Ray Duffy awkwardly head a ball clear from the Shels back 4, or support my local team(s)?

Stay supporting Shels, here's why:

Bohs are scum.:p
    Sporting Franchise will last about 3 seasons.:D
    And Shels need the money.;)

astrofool wrote: »
    The EL should have it's own forum. This thread has happened way too many times, and going over it again and again is not solving anything.

If you knew it was gonna be like this then why read/post?

Well considering people complain about trying to get to stadiums in Dublin, I can just imagine the moaning which would go on with regards to this.

• Advertisement

Or just have an Englsih forum, a Scottish forum and an Irish forum.

Maybe the Premiership should have its own forum. This is an Irish site after all.

Maybe the Premiership should have its own forum. This is an Irish site after all.

ha ha ha, well played! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

My dad never took me to Tolka Park in his life.

if only we were all like you Des.

I dunno, if ppl arent interested in watching the EL then they arent interested. the onus isnt on football fans to save the clubs, its up to the clubs to attract the fans. its business, its the same thing as say Tesco eliminating local shops etc.
    welcome to the 21st century

Jazzy wrote: »
    if only we were all like you Des.

I dunno, if ppl arent interested in watching the EL then they arent interested. the onus isnt on football fans to save the clubs, its up to the clubs to attract the fans. its business, its the same thing as say Tesco eliminating local shops etc.
    welcome to the 21st century

I hate this analogy. Keep the business to the businessmen. Lets keep the football to the football fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I honestly find the atmospheres at these matches terrible. I think the EL is damn good in terms of competiveness but not for banter at matches. I'm sure its good if your 'in' with the regs though.
    I think the reason for this is:

1.Number of clubs in Dublin; Cork City seem to have a good turnout.
    2.A social thing: I can't explain this.
    3.Lack of knowledge of oppositin players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Can you name me one other country in Europe which has an obession which foriegn clubs? I know the Liverpool army with mention Spain or Scandinavia but the fact is their national league don't suffer as a result.

Would you support the Irish International side as a matter of interest?

True, but it is nothing new is it? English football has had a huge following here for years and years.

I have to say personally I don't support the Irish International side unless their was an Arsenal connection with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Villain wrote: »
    Your all talking about a Foreign sport, you should be ashamed our forefathers didn't die for you Eircom Leagues fans to support a foreign sport or for you Premier League fans to follow teams in that awful country that opressed us. Support GAA or support you

Wait no that opinion is as about as old and sad as EL fans demanding fans of soccer follow teams that make a very sad attempt of playing the game.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Savman wrote: »
    Hmmm...dunno about that.

It is, the clubs have to take full responsibility for their own demise.
    To the people who say the standard is shíte,

How many eL games have you been to in your lifetime?

You cannot judge a league on one game, five games or ten games, imo.

It is ****e, but it's like a girlfriend you just love to hate but can't stay away :)

And FFS Gav there was no need to open this can of worms for at least another 4 or 5 weeks :rolleyes: :D - no seriously could a mod lock this ****e?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

Sad to see Kilkenny go another dark day for our league:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Resistance wrote: »
    Sad to see Kilkenny go another dark day for our league:(

They were a bastion for the best LSL players to get a few more quid playing ball, loads of my mates played for them at some time.

98 will always be my best trip down there :)

Sadly reading the liverpool thread shows how we should aspire to run our clubs, i mean they are so far ahead of us they are Eastenders to our Ros na Run........

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, I've never wondered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

To the EL mafia,

It is none of your ****ing business who anyone chooses to support.

Plus you should count yourselves almost lucky. The crack you have at matches is probably far superior to most PL matches where half the crowd are people who have idea about the team they are there to watch, the history and traditions of the club or area only there on coporate tickets, stag weekends etc etc.

And in conclusion, its none of your ****ing business who anyone chooses to support.

Thank you.

No-one is saying you cant support some Plc in a town in another country you have no affinity to or in a majority of cases, never been.

But what I think the OP is getting at is you should have the wit to realise that by exclusively supporting foreign football you help ensure we might end up with Terry Venebels while other similar size countries can hire Haan, Hodgkinson, Rehhagel etc.

Your decision damages Irish football and us Irish football fans are well within our rights to look down our noses at you. It fundamentally comes down to this. Irish Rovers, Pats, Shels and Cork fans are better fans than Liverpool, Man Utd, Sunderland supporters. You are consumers, we are fans.

Thank You.

us Irish football fans are well within our rights to look down our noses at you. It fundamentally comes down to this. Irish Rovers, Pats, Shels and Cork fans are better fans than Liverpool, Man Utd, Sunderland supporters. You are consumers, we are fans.

Thank You.

and this is the smug bull**** attitude that the eircom league fans on this board have towards the rest of us.

delightful.

if you look down on us so much why dont you **** off to another exclusively Eircom league board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

and this is the smug bull**** attitude that the eircom league fans on this board have towards the rest of us.

delightful.

if you look down on us so much why dont you **** off to another exclusively Eircom league board?

God hes right tho and **** me it pains me to agree with him, so venables or O leary which PL heavy weight would you prefer and choose?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm better than you

I'm better than you

I'm the bestest

Haha this thread is about to erupt.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    God hes right tho and **** me it pains me to agree with him, so venables or O leary which PL heavy weight would you prefer and choose?

bollox he is right, he is in his arse.

hes a fan? we're consumers?

so is it free to go to the games he watches? his jerseys free? social nights and club events for free?

every football fan is a consumer.

but not every consumer is a fan.

there is a difference.

and some ****ing EL fan with a narrow mind and not a clue to who he is talking to or wat a club means to that person, is not the ultimate authority on wat makes a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

God, here we go again.

Look, its pretty simple. Until the eL registers as a charity organisation, I don't see why anyone would or should give them their hard earned cash to support a product that they don't enjoy when they can get a far superior one. The clubs have no money to invest, but there is money there and people willing to invest, so if I were the clubs and the fans, I'd be doing everything in my power to get that investment in.

In the meantime, it's dreadful to see Kilkenny City (but Kilkenny is just a town ;) ) go, but it's not the fault of people who don't support the eL. It's the fault of the eL clubs, the FAI and the government.

Of course, none of them will talk to you on a football forum, so best take your frustrations on people who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Consumer and fan argument is laughable.

Anyway EVERYONE is a consumer of football if they watch football.

Just another flawed argument in an attempt to put down people in order to justify the amount of money they spend on watching lower standard football. League 2 fans etc in England are the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement