Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And you's always wonder...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Unearthly wrote: »

Just another flawed argument in an attempt to put down people in order to justify the amount of money they spend on watching lower standard football. League 2 fans etc in England are the same.

lol best post yet on an irish message board, your not content with slaughtering the EL you now on to Division 4. Damn them people who go to their clubs games damn them all to hell!!!!!!!!1

Class post, keep em up thb you and PHB are on a roll here with your utterly pointless posts about the demise of Kilkenny FC.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

KdjaCL wrote: »
    lol best post yet on an irish message board, your not content with slaughtering the EL you now on to Division 4.

Class post, keep em up thb you and PHB are on a roll here with your utterly pointless posts about the demise of Kilkenny FC.

kdjac

Slaughtering? I said they are lower standard football to the premiership. This is a fact

Also wtf is up with saying I said they shouldn't support them? They can support whoever they want, but don't come across with this superior complex and preach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and wtf did PHB do wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

psi wrote: »
    It's the fault of the eL clubs, the FAI and the government.

Obviously. But there is definitely more to it than that. I'm 100% sure we aren't the only country with a poorly run league (even though it is improving in many ways). It really is the attitude of Irish people, and it stretches beyond football. Even in music, local acts are largely ignored, at the expense of foreign acts. I'm sure the argument could be put forward that its because they're more talented. But I don't really buy that. We seem to be 1 of those countries who never really exerted our independence after getting it. An inferiority complex of some kind or something. Of course when you're U2 or the Irish national team and given undeserved media attention people show an interest, but in general the clubs and acts with heart are ignored because they're not high profile enough or something? I've nothing against the Premiership and I do follow Aston Villa but I wouldn't dare call myself a proper fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

DSB wrote: »
    Obviously. But there is definitely more to it than that. I'm 100% sure we aren't the only country with a poorly run league (even though it is improving in many ways). It really is the attitude of Irish people, and it stretches beyond football. Even in music, local acts are largely ignored, at the expense of foreign acts. I'm sure the argument could be put forward that its because they're more talented. But I don't really buy that. We seem to be 1 of those countries who never really exerted our independence after getting it. An inferiority complex of some kind or something. Of course when you're U2 or the Irish national team and given undeserved media attention people show an interest, but in general the clubs and acts with heart are ignored because they're not high profile enough or something? I've nothing against the Premiership and I do follow Aston Villa but I wouldn't dare call myself a proper fan.

There may be more to it, but I don't think so. Irish music does pretty well by the way as do Irish actors - so much so that there have been some notable indie acts from other countries that moved to Ireland.

The problem is, there grass is always greener and there is always more money abroad.

The English league is as big as it is now due to money. Plain and simple. It was always popular but then Irish league clubs did better before Sky arrived. Fans are fickle and they know what they like. You can't blame them for going with their preferences anymore than you can blame someone from opting for a Radiohead gig the night of an Irish indie act gig.

I've seen the MLS rebuilt from scratch here. They did it with marketing, investment and gimmicks. They did it by latching on to the south american immigrant love of soccer. But they did it. The MLS soccer coverage on TV is awful, but it's still better than TV3 - which is just shocking when you think about it.

Ireland has a ready made fanbase of soccer enthusiasts. With the right approach, something could be done. But it's catch 22. Nothing can be done without money and people aren't going to attend until something is done.

Current eL fans don't understand this anymore than a hardcore GAA fan understands why someone supports football. They might say they do, but if they did, they certainly wouldn't be directing their resentment at people for not supporting something they don't like.

so you go to matches DSB just out of curiousity?

Villa matches i mean

Mr Alan wrote: »
    so you go to matches DSB just out of curiousity?

Villa matches i mean

Sometimes yeah, I try to make 2 or 3 a season. It's pretty fun like.

fair enough.

i think you're being harsh not calling yourself,granted 2 or 3 a year aint a lot, but its something. You aint the same as the lads that are there week in week out but i think if you know the history and traditions of your club, you can call yourself a fan. just my opinion.

psi wrote: »
    There may be more to it, but I don't think so. Irish music does pretty well by the way as do Irish actors - so much so that there have been some notable indie acts from other countries that moved to Ireland.

The problem is, there grass is always greener and there is always more money abroad.

The English league is as big as it is now due to money. Plain and simple. It was always popular but then Irish league clubs did better before Sky arrived. Fans are fickle and they know what they like. You can't blame them for going with their preferences anymore than you can blame someone from opting for a Radiohead gig the night of an Irish indie act gig.

I've seen the MLS rebuilt from scratch here. They did it with marketing, investment and gimmicks. They did it by latching on to the south american immigrant love of soccer. But they did it. The MLS soccer coverage on TV is awful, but it's still better than TV3 - which is just shocking when you think about it.

Ireland has a ready made fanbase of soccer enthusiasts. With the right approach, something could be done. But it's catch 22. Nothing can be done without money and people aren't going to attend until something is done.

Current eL fans don't understand this anymore than a hardcore GAA fan understands why someone supports football. They might say they do, but if they did, they certainly wouldn't be directing their resentment at people for not supporting something they don't like.

I understand that there could be alot more advertising done, but I genuinely believe that the average football poster on this forum anyway doesn't need that sort of thing to get into it. Football is football, the standard, although maybe not too close to being as high as in the Premiership, isn't crap even relatively when compared to the Premiership. It's definitely good enough for people to develop an interest in, if people would only get out of this mindset that people are currently in. I've read people say that they've been to Eircom League games and this gives them the right to make the statement, of course they have the right, but I genuinely believe these people went in with the mindset that it would be crap, and picked out any possible negative faults. It's definitely rich when you hear the toilets in stadiums being used as a factor. The toilets in most pubs people drink in aren't exactly top-notch either. It's about going out and having a good time and enjoying a good game of football, I like watching Villa play, also United or Arsenal games are class sometimes too, but they haven't a patch on travelling halfway across the country to watch your team and having a good time even if they lose.

fair enough.

i think you're being harsh not calling yourself,granted 2 or 3 a year aint a lot, but its something. You aint the same as the lads that are there week in week out but i think if you know the history and traditions of your club, you can call yourself a fan. just my opinion.

It is something. But in the end I've no real connection with Villa like. They were just the team I got into as a child. It doesn't stop me getting passionate about them or anything, and I love watching them win, but generally its from a TV screen or some p2p site. It isn't the same really. It is fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I understand that there could be alot more advertising done, but I genuinely believe that the average football poster on this forum anyway doesn't need that sort of thing to get into it. Football is football, the standard, although maybe not too close to being as high as in the Premiership, isn't crap even relatively when compared to the Premiership.
    I agree, I should clarify. The eL is probably as good as 2/3rds of the Championship overall. The quality isn't that much below Wigan or Derby but then again, you don't get many Irish fans supporting those teams (at least not those under 40).
    It's definitely good enough for people to develop an interest in, if people would only get out of this mindset that people are currently in. I've read people say that they've been to Eircom League games and this gives them the right to make the statement, of course they have the right, but I genuinely believe these people went in with the mindset that it would be crap, and picked out any possible negative faults.
    Again maybe so. But you know its the person who pays that makes the choice. I just bought an season ticket to my local MLS team. I only did so after going to a few games, looking at the quality of the football, the atmosphere and the stadium. If people go to eL games and don't like what they see, they won't come back. Same as any other venue or event.
    It's definitely rich when you hear the toilets in stadiums being used as a factor. The toilets in most pubs people drink in aren't exactly top-notch either. It's about going out and having a good time and enjoying a good game of football.
    Well you're not seeing the bigger picture. It's hard enough to get people to start going as adults once, but doing it every generation is impossible. You want families going to games. You want Dads and kids. You want that because to be a successful club, you need a community fanbase. I'm not going to bring my kids to a stadium that I don't consider safe or appealing any more than I would to a pub.

the problem i find with this whole local team argument is...ok i live in howth.....i dont even know wat the closest EL team to me is tbh....if i was an EL fan and supported one of the EL teams.....should i not be supporting Howth Celtic? My local team? Why connection would i have to one dublin city based team as opposed to another?

the only EL team i cast an occassional eye over is Bray and thats cause my boss plays for them.

you dont have to be born in a place to develop real and genuine love for that team...

Keegan aint from Newcastle?
    Rafa aint from Liverpool? but turned down madrid for them!
    Carragher used to support Everton? obviously not anymore
    Ferguson is from Scotland? not manchester
    Keane is from Cork? not manchester

No "hardcore" fans would give any of these stick for following and loving a club that is not their local team (granted carra doesnt fall into that bracket).

i just find the whole debate confusing tbh. where do you draw the line?

as i read somewhere before on a liverpool site about OOT (out of towners) or Wools or beauts (this is all term Scouse fans use to sum up the irish/welsh/norweigen fans who go to the game without a breeze of the songs,traditions etcetc)

Wool/OOT/Beaut is a state of mind not a location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

No-one is saying you cant support some Plc in a town in another country you have no affinity to or in a majority of cases, never been.

But what I think the OP is getting at is you should have the wit to realise that by exclusively supporting foreign football you help ensure we might end up with Terry Venebels while other similar size countries can hire Haan, Hodgkinson, Rehhagel etc.

Your decision damages Irish football and us Irish football fans are well within our rights to look down our noses at you. It fundamentally comes down to this. Irish Rovers, Pats, Shels and Cork fans are better fans than Liverpool, Man Utd, Sunderland supporters. You are consumers, we are fans.

Thank You.

wow. What a post. What a disgusting elitest attitude.

Web definition of a sports fan : A fan or supporter is someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking of a sporting club, person, group of persons, company, product, work of art, idea, or trend

Ive tried to get into the Eircom league. I watched a good few games but I would always find myself switching over to a different channel as it was so boring. Ive been to a couple of games and left with a feeling of regret at spending money on the tickets. The fact is, I don't enjoy watching it...so why should I ?

Would you intentionally go to **** Irish films in the cinema or buy crappy Irish film dvds purely to support the Irish film industry ? Most likely not.

...but you will go and watch the Hollywood movies, right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In conclusion: Go watch your local team play.

I understand alot more could be done to attract families in, but alot of the time its hard to afford for clubs, especially if theres low gates already, and many a time we've seen what happens when clubs speculate to accumulate.

But all this aside, it doesn't change the attitude and mindset of the Irish public at large. I wouldn't be into singling out 1 United/Liverpool/Chelsea or whoever fan and telling them they weren't a real fan. But in general, I think Irish people at large are a bit ridiculous when it comes to their attitude.

the problem i find with this whole local team argument is...ok i live in howth.....i dont even know wat the closest EL team to me is tbh....if i was an EL fan and supported one of the EL teams.....should i not be supporting Howth Celtic? My local team? Why connection would i have to one dublin city based team as opposed to another?

the only EL team i cast an occassional eye over is Bray and thats cause my boss plays for them.

you dont have to be born in a place to develop real and genuine love for that team...

Keegan aint from Newcastle?
    Rafa aint from Liverpool? but turned down madrid for them!
    Carragher used to support Everton? obviously not anymore
    Ferguson is from Scotland? not manchester
    Keane is from Cork? not manchester

No "hardcore" fans would give any of these stick for following and loving a club that is not their local team (granted carra doesnt fall into that bracket).

i just find the whole debate confusing tbh. where do you draw the line?

as i read somewhere before on a liverpool site about OOT (out of towners) or Wools or beauts (this is all term Scouse fans use to sum up the irish/welsh/norweigen fans who go to the game without a breeze of the songs,traditions etcetc)

Wool/OOT/Beaut is a state of mind not a location.

That is a very nitpicky view of things though. It doesn't really have to be your local team literally. I mean the Eircom League Champions are closer to me than Shels but **** them. If someone decides they want to support Howth Celtic and gos to see them week in, week out, thats class too though. Generally when you're competing in anything you love you'll grow attached to it, when you're getting paid that much money to do it for 1 particular organisation, I guess it becomes easier. Would Ferguson have become a United fan if he hadn't been offered a decent wage to manage them? Probably not.

well there you go, i watch a few of the howth celtic teams a bit! so **** all the EL fans, i'm the only hardcore football fan here! ;)

I understand alot more could be done to attract families in, but alot of the time its hard to afford for clubs, especially if theres low gates already, and many a time we've seen what happens when clubs speculate to accumulate.

But all this aside, it doesn't change the attitude and mindset of the Irish public at large. I wouldn't be into singling out 1 United/Liverpool/Chelsea or whoever fan and telling them they weren't a real fan. But in general, I think Irish people at large are a bit ridiculous when it comes to their attitude.

What's this attitude? When people write off the league without ever going to or watching a few EL games? I agree someone like that is ignorant. Very common attitude.

I used to go to EL matches when i was a kid. Shelbourne were the team. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them but for whatever reason I didn't keep it up. I think it's too late now for me too feel anything for an EL club. People will say you don't need to be a fan to go to the games, but I get bored watching football, unless it's a Man Utd game, or a fierce rival of Man Utd as they are the only team I care about.

well there you go, i watch a few of the howth celtic teams a bit! so **** all the EL fans, i'm the only hardcore football fan here! ;)
    Hahaha keep it up.
    What's this attitude? When people write off the league without ever going to or watching a few EL games? I agree someone like that is ignorant. Very common attitude.

I used to go to EL matches when i was a kid. Shelbourne were the team. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy them but for whatever reason I didn't keep it up. I think it's too late now for me too feel anything for an EL club. People will say you don't need to be a fan to go to the games, but I get bored watching football, unless it's a Man Utd game, or a fierce rival of Man Utd as they are the only team I care about.

I don't think its too late at all. I've brought lodza people from college to games mainly because I'm not really good friends with any Shels fans. They're all United fans, but come as Shels fans for the night, and you can see they get into it and when you get like a last minute winner or something, you can just tell they feel a part of it. They'll come out, and still go on like they're not much into it, but they keep coming back, and they keep enjoying it. It's definitely a matter of giving it a proper chance. If you aren't into it, maybe the problem isn't that you need to find a new league, maybe you just didn't like that particular team?

• Advertisement

I agree with this. I watch all Liverpools games. I will gladly watch other teams play but it would have to be a good game. I couldn't be arsed watching Derby v Middlesbrough for example. I would happily watch Man City v Blackburn, or Arsenal v Spurs. I think this is the reason that I could never get into the Eircom league in its current state. I dont feel anything for any of the teams and the football isn't attractive enough to entertain.

Tusky wrote: »
    I agree with this. I watch all Liverpools games. I will gladly watch other teams play but it would have to be a good game. I couldn't be arsed watching Derby v Middlesbrough for example. I would happily watch Man City v Blackburn, or Arsenal v Spurs.

Yeah but thats on TV. It's pretty easy to watch because its just a matter of changing a channel or whatever. Its cool enough like. Not a patch on the live experience though.

Dont think anyone is doubting that its better to be at the match.

I think the number of irish premier league club fans who dont go to games but still claim to be "real" fans is the problem and bring other PL match-going fans names down tbh.

dont mean to offend anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dont think anyone is doubting that its better to be at the match.

I think the number of irish premier league club fans who dont go to games but still claim to be "real" fans is the problem and bring other PL match-going fans names down tbh.

dont mean to offend anyone

So if I (as a student) could only afford to go to one City game in three years I'm not a 'real' fan? B*llox. That's a snobby comment if ever I heard one.

Yeah but thats on TV. It's pretty easy to watch because its just a matter of changing a channel or whatever. Its cool enough like. Not a patch on the live experience though.

Going to a match is infinitly better than watching on tv. When I go to Old Trafford, I think every game is amazing, and when I'm told by people when I come home that it was quite a dull game, It shocks me.

I would love to go to every Man Utd game live, but sadly I'm a student and not made of money

I said in an earlier post that I have been to Eircom league games before.

• Advertisement

Definitely true. But even still, I can't see why its such a problem to support both, not as a form of charity or out of obligation like, but I'm making a wild presumption that most people here enjoy live football. It costs alot of money to go to Liverpool, Manchester, London or wherever, definitely isn't possible to go to every home game, never mind every game of the season, or even close to it. Defo makes sense to make a quick bus journey every week and watch some football and have some fun.

Edit: This was in response to Alan's post. I need to start quoting more haha.

I said in an earlier post that I have been to Eircom league games before.

Where did I say you hadn't? Lots of people have been but haven't given it a fighting chance at all.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So if I (as a student) could only afford to go to one City game in three years I'm not a 'real' fan? B*llox. That's a snobby comment if ever I heard one.

To be honest I'd definitely agree with him. Not in a condescending way or anything. But I wouldn't consider myself a real fan of theatre if I watched a few plays on tv.

sorry i realise that reads as a snobby comment, and i didnt want it to.

i'm not into the whole fan/real fan debate, but would have thought it fairly obvious that fans go to games?

if you as a student could only afford to go to 1 game in three years? i would actually think you werent trying very hard to go, the amount of money you'd spend in 2 nights on the piss would get you over to a game.

sorry if that offends.

if you as a student could only afford to go to 1 game in three years? i would actually think you werent trying very hard to go, the amount of money you'd spend in 2 nights on the piss would get you over to a game.

sorry if that offends.

Depands

Some places offer drink for like 2 and 3 euro ;)

• Advertisement

Definitely true. But even still, I can't see why its such a problem to support both

as i said earlier in this thread, i dont get the whole idea of supporting more than one team. think its kind of a contradiction, be like cheating on my mrs! :p

Depands

Some places offer drink for like 2 and 3 euro ;)

and some airlines and ferries offer fares for 1p! ;)

have to be wiley when organising trips!

Hahaha I don't think you're too likely to have to worry about Liverpool meeting any of the Dublin clubs in Europe anytime soon. Unless you're planning to compete in the Intertoto next season maybe? Is Rafa that dodgy already?;)

i'll tell ya know the way the yanks are running things at the moment nothing would suprise me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

wow. What a post. What a disgusting elitest attitude.

Thank you.

Ive tried to get into the Eircom league. I watched a good few games but I would always find myself switching over to a different channel as it was so boring. Ive been to a couple of games and left with a feeling of regret at spending money on the tickets. The fact is, I don't enjoy watching it...so why should I ?

Then don't. But that has nothing to do with the LoI and everything to do with you. But the substantive point is there has been dire sporting consequence to the mass supporting of foreign leagues. Why not support Rovers and Man Utd? Pats and Celtic? The Italians all supprt their local side and if thats a lower league team, they tend to pick a Serie A side too. Pisa-Inter, Treviso-Juve, Massesse-Milan.
    Would you intentionally go to **** Irish films in the cinema or buy crappy Irish film dvds purely to support the Irish film industry ? Most likely not.

...but you will go and watch the Hollywood movies, right ?

And to prove my point, support for a football club is reduced, again, to a product to consume. I don't 'support' a film. I don't volunteer at the Cinema. The fact you even made that point is exactly the argument I'm making. Us LoI fans have a far superior fan culture to the barstool brigade.

To be honest I'd definitely agree with him. Not in a condescending way or anything. But I wouldn't consider myself a real fan of theatre if I watched a few plays on tv.

I see so by that definition, living in Australia as I do and being being unable to fork out the $2500 for a round trip to Manchester every second weekend, I am not a 'real' fan despite the fact that I stay up frequently til the early hours of the morning to watch games?

i'll tell ya know the way the yanks are running things at the moment nothing would suprise me!

Haha weren't the yanks the 1 whos who tried to save Liverpool from the amazing Voronin though? They may have Liverpool's best interests at heart after all;)

I have gone to 14 Roma matches, my first being in 2000, however I don't think I am a 'real' Roma fan, I just like everything that surrounds the team. The only time I felt really bad after a Roma defeat was Man Utd and Lazio(the hammering a few years back) I felt much better when Cambiasso scored against Serbia, or bad when he missed the penalty against Germany.

I don't think how many times you go to a match defines if you are a true supporter but the actual genuine emotion you have for the team.
    Xavi obviously has a real love for City.

I differ from other posters here(from what I have read) in that I just love watching football, I don't really need to care for the team.

I see so by that definition, living in Australia as I do and being being unable to fork out the $2500 for a round trip to Manchester every second weekend, I am not a 'real' fan despite the fact that I stay up frequently til the early hours of the morning to watch games?

Haha you've nothing to justify to me. I'm not trying to judge anyone or take individual cases and decide whether they fit my fan definition. I've no idea whether you're originally from Australia and have lived there your whole life or anything like that. If you are I find it a little bit strange alright.

I have gone to 14 Roma matches, my first being in 2000, however I don't think I am a 'real' Roma fan, I just like everything that surrounds the team. The only time I felt really bad after a Roma defeat was Man Utd and Lazio(the hammering a few years back) I felt much better when Cambiasso scored against Serbia, or bad when he missed the penalty against Germany.

I don't think how many times you go to a match defines if you are a true supporter but the actual genuine emotion you have for the team.
    Xavi obviously has a real love for City.

It's a bit of both though isnt it? Generally you wouldn't go to see your team every week, if you didn't have a genuine emotion for the team. I mean I'm sure we could assess individual backgrounds all night and come up with lots of different reasons why someone should or shouldn't be able to get to see that team, but in the end I think people can come to a universal agreement that a fan is someone that gos to see their team on a regular basis. There isn't a certain number of games that suddenly gives you the right to say you are one.

• Advertisement

well in fairness it slipped my mind that you were in Australia. Thats a different kettle of fish altogether. I mean that if its reasonabley cheap for you to go to games (from Ireland for example) and you dont, then you have a bit of a cheek calling yourself a fan. If you are on the other side of the world, it is somewhat understandable :)

i would think that its a combination of both.

if you dont make an attempt to go and see your team, the love cant be that much in my opinion.

(just to clarify, i'm not claiming to be an authority on this, just giving my opinion)

Haha you've nothing to justify to me. I'm not trying to judge anyone or take individual cases and decide whether they fit my fan definition. I've no idea whether you're originally from Australia and have lived there your whole life or anything like that. If you are I find it a little bit strange alright.

No stranger than living in Ireland and supporting a PL team. Both the A-League and the eL are deemed inferioer leagues so it's pretty much the same situation. The casino over here is jammers every weekend with fans wanting to watch their team same way as pubs in Dublin are. Your location doesn't define your status as a fan nor should it.

I would say if you have love for the club, and the performance of the team really means something to you, and you support the club in some way(buying jerseys) then you are a fan.

No stranger than living in Ireland and supporting a PL team. Both the A-League and the eL are deemed inferioer leagues so it's pretty much the same situation. The casino over here is jammers every weekend with fans wanting to watch their team same way as pubs in Dublin are. Your location doesn't define your status as a fan nor should it.

Haha I agree that its no different to Irish people supporting Premier League teams completely. All the points I made would apply equally. I think your location does define your status though as generally it makes getting to games pretty difficult which is kinda what defines being a fan really isn't it? I mean sometimes circumstances change and I wouldn't stop supporting Shels just because I had to move countries, but if I was Belgian I'm sure I wouldn't be a Shels fan.

Oh just to add, has anyone ever felt that 'hardcore' supporters are not actual football fans? Like I'm talking about the drunkards who attend nearly every game. They love the affiliation with the club, but I doubt they care too much about how Raul Garcia is doing with Ath. Madrid.

I would say if you have love for the club, and the performance of the team really means something to you, and you support the club in some way(buying jerseys) then you are a fan.

I strongly disagree, but fair enough, I could have great love for the theatre, and buy all the crucial Shakespeare merch thats an offer, Hamlet mugs and the like, but if I'm not going to watch plays I'm not much of a fan of the theatre am I?

I strongly disagree, but fair enough, I could have great love for the theatre, and buy all the crucial Shakespeare merch thats an offer, Hamlet mugs and the like, but if I'm not going to watch plays I'm not much of a fan of the theatre am I?

Not quite a fair comparison as you can go to any theatre when to be a fan it's only 1 stadium

Haha I agree that its no different to Irish people supporting Premier League teams completely. All the points I made would apply equally. I think your location does define your status though as generally it makes getting to games pretty difficult which is kinda what defines being a fan really isn't it? I mean sometimes circumstances change and I wouldn't stop supporting Shels just because I had to move countries, but if I was Belgian I'm sure I wouldn't be a Shels fan.

No but I wouldn't be surprised if you claimed to be a United or Liverpool fan. It's all about exposure.

Not quite a fair comparison as you can go to any theatre when to be a fan it's only 1 stadium

Not really. There are stadiums all over the world. Kinda brings it back to the decision of choosing your clubs doesn't it?

• Advertisement

And players? Like who cared about Reading before Doyle and Hunt hit the headlines?

I remember watching Sky Sports News this year and they did a feature on Sunderland....they went to a match Sunderland vs Galway and some kid said he had never heard of Sunderland, but was wearing the jersey. This guy was about 15.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement