Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK vans

• 18-01-2008 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

A relative in business is looking for one or two vans. Please don't start a thing but it must be Fiat. Definitely a Doblo and either a nearly Ducato or a new Scudo.

His usual garage (Fiat dealer) has no Ducatos or Scudos and isn't expecting any (and he took their last available Doblo yesterday).

Would going to the UK for commercial vehicles show a large enough saving to not wait for the dealer to get something and break the relationship for these 2 vans?? He's probably going to need them soon and probably can't wait.

Is there an problems with VAT receipts if he goes for a UK van?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I got a van in uk just before christmas as i couldnt find a suitable one here. If you're registered for vat here then you dont pay vat when buying from a uk dealer. Autotrader has a large commercial section and some uk garages advertise on it so look there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me about the VAT receipt I hear so much about? ie- is it a specific document or is it the when he sells it on, is it a generic VAT receipt issued by the company as if it were a product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Cant help you with your problem as such but i'd be intrested in any posts also, as im thinking of importing a van from the UK or the north myself. Must say, i didn't think i could claim back the VAT from outside the republic.Puts a new perspective on things:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

you need an invoice from the garage, and the garage needs your vat no. and details.
    You both must declare it in your Vies statement as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

When it comes to paying, tell the uk dealer that you are registered for vat over here and give him your vat number. Get him to invoice you for the van showing the cost, which wont include vat as you're not being charged. This is needed for your own accounts. When people say "vat receipt" they mean any receipt showing the rate and amount of vat charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"vat receipt" they mean any receipt showing the rate and amount of vat charged.

...so when it comes time to sell the van here, the company writes out a company invoice showing the cost of the van and the cost of VAT @21%. The buyer's company (assuming it's not an individual or non- VAT registerd company) buys it for the total and uses the old company's invoice to claim the VAT back to their company as if the new owner was purchasing a product from the old company.

Is this right??

Advertisement