Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 3 wrestlemanias

• 18-01-2008 4:02pm

what are your top 3 wrestlemanias and why and also what are your 3 least favourite and why?? my top 3 would be:

1)wrestlemania 17 (67,000 people,great card and the 2 most popular wrestlers of the genaration in the main event)

2)wrestlemania 8 (ive always loved savage vs flair and bret vs piper and a big crowd)

3)wrestlemania 10 (The hart brothers classic and the ladder match)

and my least favourite:

1)wrestlemania 9 (not 1 good match at it and a crap location)

2)wrestlemania 11 (an nfl player in the main event)

3)wrestlemania 7 (apart from the savage vs warrior match this wasnt very good)

i know i could have included the first 2 wrestlemanias but at the time they were viewed as good events while these where never considered good!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I reckon WM17 will be the overriding number one here anyway.

1. WM 17 for the above reason, plus the card top to bottom was almost faultless.

2. WM 20. This was a massive spectacle, with one of the best Main Events ever. It also had one of the most anticipated returns, and the most anticipated match ever to dissapoint in Lesnar Vs Goldberg. Eddie Vs Angle wasn't so bad either.

3. WM3. Biggest WM ever, and is still spoken about today for the time Hogan slammed Andre. This had the WM feel to it as Andre was the immovable object, Hogan the irresistible force. Add in Savage Vs Steamboat and there is enough for that to stand the test of time.

----

WM19 is just outside my top 3.

Worst, in no particular order.

WM 23 top to bottom was rubbish. It was built all wrong, not to mention ruined the Royal Rumbles credibility at the same time. The only match with a prolonged build up was the Billionaires match which was terrible as well. Taker Vs Batista was about the only match in this to truly deliver.

WM11. The main even was Bam Bam Vs Lawrence Taylor. Enough said.

WM 9. Hogans ego massage at the end out this over the top as one of the most awful PPVs I have seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Once upon a time WM20 would have made my list but that's no longer the case.

My top 3 would be...

1. Wrestlemania 17

Best built-up main event feud in my view.

2. Wrestlemania X

Best ever opening match as well as the ladder classic.

3. Wrestlemania III

Great main event (entertainment wise) and the Steamboat/Savage classic.

Worst 3 would be...

1. Wrestlemania XI

Poor from top to bottom really.

2. Wrestlemania II

Forgettable show. Multiple locations idea was a miss.

3. Wrestlemania XV

Poor booking and the Hell in the Cell match sucked. The main event couldn't save this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Three best

1) WM 22 - I'm being biased coz I was there live but the experience was something else. I'm sure krudler and few others will agree that the personal buzz overweighs watching it on the box.

2) WM 17 - Fantastic card top to bottom as said,Astrodome some spot for a ppv,eh?

3) WM 6 - Not to sound too markish but Hogan - Warrior had me hooked as a kid,still throw on the dvd the odd time so will have to go with this.

And the worst?

1) WM 9 - Hogan the "yellow belly" as Mr Fuji called him saves the day for Caesars Palace :mad:

2) WM 11 - No comment needed

3) WM 13 - Apart from Bret/Austin,not great. The Sultan,anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Best:

1) Wrestlemania 17 - Great build-up to it, I remember being excited about it for weeks, and the show didn't disappoint

2) Wrestlemania 19 - I was really looking forward to this, although sort of in a bad way. I was anxious about whether or not Kurt's neck would be alright and I was really into that main event. Some other great matches on the card too

3) Wrestlemania 20 - I had a lot of fun watching this one

I'm not too sure about the worst ones I've seen. I haven't seen most of them, and I seem to have blocked out memories of any bad ones in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    2) Wrestlemania 19 - I was really looking forward to this, although sort of in a bad way. I was anxious about whether or not Kurt's neck would be alright and I was really into that main event. Some other great matches on the card too

Very underrated Wrestlemania this one. Not sure why. Maybe because of Lesnar's botch at the end but there was quality matches on the show and even Vince and Hogan put on a good bout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

1. Wrestlemania 17.

Flawless. Everything a wrestling event should be. It had something for everybody, Angle v Benoit, McMahon streetfight, TLC, Gimmick battle royal, and the I can still feel the goosebumps from the Austin v Rock build up and match. The final horrah of the Attitude era.

2. Wrestlemania III.

Only ever seen it on video twice, but Savage v Steamboat is still one of the greatest matches of all time, and Hogan slamming Andrie is probably the biggest single moment in the history of pro-wrestling.

3. Wrestlemania 8.

This is in mainly because I had only gotten into wrestling a few weeks prior to it. I remember thinking Sid was going to absoloutly kill Hogan in the main event. Marked like crazy when Macho Man won the title as well. Looking back on it now brings me back to those days when I was a mark.

The Worst:

1. Wrestlemania 11

LT. Need I say anymore. Come to think of it, I don't remember anything else from that shambles.

2. Wrestlemania 2000

Suprised no-one's mentioned this. I remember this stinking to high heavens, apart from the triple threat match.

3. Wrestlemania 9

Wasn't as bad as people say, but it was bad. Yes there was Taker v Gonzalez but there was also HBK v Tatanka. And Bobby the brain is a genieus in commentary in this which saves it somewhat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Wrestlemania 17- Without a doubt the best Wrestlemania of all time. You just don't get a better card.

Wrestlemania 19- Rock/Austin, Angle/Lesnar, Hogan/McMahon, HBK/Y2J and Nathan Jones awesome spinkick.

Wrestlemania 20- Guerrero and Benoit. Enough Said- 2 of the best Wrestlemania matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Best

1. WM17 - it was the greatest mania of all without a doubt, angle/benoit, vince/shane, TLC2, austin/rock. There were a few terrible matches but the overall spectacle of the event surpassed the others for me and thats why i have it number 1.

2. WM19 - in terms of overall match quality WM19 beats every other WM imo, jericho and michaels was superb and even brock lesnar impressed me here :eek:

3. WM22 - i was there in chicago and this was a super mania to witness live. The crowd were white hot all night, great matches included money in the bank (best opening match in history of mania for me), edge/foley, trish/mickie, michaels/vince, cena/trips, angle/mysterio/orton. The Playboy pillow fight and boogeyman/booker were stinkers of the highest order but most of us left for a well earned toilet break during those matches :)

Worst

1. WM9 - Worst mania without a shadow of a doubt, the end really took the biscuit in terms of how NOT to book a mania main event

2. WM20 - awful, awful, awful, i was at this too and all i can say is i would have been better watching paint dry, a total snoozefest from start to finish, 4 hours+ of pure torture. The MSG crowd sucked most of the night. 2 fatal-four tag matches :mad:, a total botch of a cruiserweight open, another playboy sh*tfest, taker and kane stinking up the arena, don't get me started on goldberg/lesnar :rolleyes:, cena and show stumbling over each other, ultimo dragon stumbling over himself on the way to the ring was the best part of the show for me and that about says it all really :p Benoit/Michaels/Trips is the most over-rated WWE match of all time imo, nothing special

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

17 - I only seen it when it came out on Video but i was just an amazing spectacle probably the best ppv imo.

20 - i really liked this. i even got goosebumps when Taker returned and i loved the main event even though i tought i wouldnt because im not really into technical wrestling

ill get back on number 3 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

X-7 : just everything thats good about wrestling in a 3 hour ppv, one of the greatest main events to a WWF/E ppv of all time, it might actually be THE greatest, a white hot crowd, not a stinker on the card and the incredible arena setup made it the best WWF ppv ever alongside INY:Canadian Stampede and Summerslam 2002

19: hugely underrated imo, solid opener between Hardy and Rey, Jericho and Michaels put on a classic, solid tag match, Stone Colds last ever match, not a patch on previous encounters but still very entertaining, Hogan/McMahon was a riot from start to finish,great main event, great theme song too and i hate limp bizkit

23: ok so im biased because i was there but it was still a great ppv depite what most people think, with only 2 bad matches on the card in the Khali snoozefest and Diva bathroom break, MITB was excellent, Benoit/MVP was very solid and in a few years when MVP is world champ people will look back on this match as when a green rookie who nobody though would do much aside from having a crappy outfit held his own against Benoit and has massively improved since, a real coming of age bout, Umaga carried Lashley to a very watchable brawl and anything involving Austin stunnering Trump has to be good, Taker/Batista was incredible to witness live, I've always wanted to be a part of crowd that gets to do the "BOOO!" "YAAYYY!" thing when guys are trading blows and i did:D should have been the main event , extremely solid but overlong Cena/Michaels main event, cena held his own against a HUGELY hostile crowd (seriously the dvd doesnt do the boos justice they were deafening) and the biggest production values of any wwe ppv ever (again the tv version doesnt do it justice, the light rig was ****ing incredible

WORST:
    9- just crap from start to finish

2-ditto

20- wasnt terrible just disappointing,the year before Lesnar/Goldberg could have headlined the thing, its saving grace was the Benoit/Eddie hug moment but now thats ruined

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Hmmm.....

Probably 20, 17, and 19, although 8, 5, 10, and 22 are right up there.

For me, 20 was fantastic because aside from the two great title matches, the bigger picture was, that it featured two guys as champions at the end of the night who truly "earned" it. In a world of manufactured champs, it felt real and organic, and was one of the highlights of recent years of pro-wrestling. Undertaker's return was well-done, and Cena looked like a start. Plus, Christian/jericho was a just a simple,great match and the women's bout was impressive with the satisfying head-shaving.. Not much else there, but nothing really awful.

17 and 19 were just stacked with greatness, with 17 probably being the better, thanks to better booking (Hyping Hogan/vince as the draw was a terrible idea, and the finish to Booker/HHH).But yeah, during Angle/Brock, i was crapping myself.

Worst? Like everyone else said, 11 was a really poor card, and although the main event was actually pretty good, it just shouldn't have existed. 15 was terrible, especially considering the talent on hand, as was 13.
    I thought WM 16 was pretty good, but it just didn't feel like a wrestlemania, as there wasn't a single one-on-one match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I would agree with those who selected 17 and 19, and I think everyone has covered why.

However, my other choice (which I would rank 2nd, with 17 as 1st) is Mania 14, a criminally underrated Wrestlemania.

Outside of 17, which arguably was the finish of the attitude era, Mania 14 was the only great wrestlemania, IMO, in possibly WWE's greatest ever era (13,15 and 2000 sucked balls).

The main event, while not a mat classic, was built phenomenally well, with Tyson's appearance one of the few celebrity appearances that makes sense and fits well into the story, and the momentum Astin was carrying ensured it would also be memorable. There was also the first ever Taker/Kane match, which again was a great build and story. You also had a stacked card with some great matches like Taka/Agulia, Shamrock/The Rock and The NAO v. Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

1)Wrestlemania 17, whats left to be said about it that has been mentioned already? Fantastic card from top to bottom and what every wrestlemania should be like.

2)Wrestlemania III, I'm a big Steamboat mark, and his match with Savage here stole the show in my eyes. Greater moment than Hulk body slamming Andre.

3)Wrestlemania X, still one I'll pop on when the others come over to watch some wrestling. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I won't go into my least fav. manias, as I think they all had their moments that make them worthy of watching. But if I was to pick one to be my least favourite, I'd go with II. Jesus it was annoying at times.

And I still regard the end of XX being my fav Wrestlemania moment. Dispite what Benoit has done, it doesn't chance the fact that he was one of the best. The in-ring gathering of him and Eddie is breath taking and reminds me of the Chris Benoit who entertained me for years and was my fav. of all time, not the killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

WM 17

WM19

And WM 24 is shaping up nicely hehe wooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aicXrichie

WrestleMania 17- It had everything,and seeing as how I was about 8 it all seemed like magic.Heck,watching it now is like magic.And a special appearance by the Gobbledygooker to cap it all off.Beautiful.

WrestleMania 10- Was awesome because of the excellent opener that saw Owen beat Bret and,later in the night,Bret defeating Yokozuna for the WWF Championship.And obviously the ladder match :D.

WrestleMania 21- Ok maybe the main events weren't great but it had the first Money in the Bank,which was epic,and of course the Michaels/Angle match.

And my least favourite...WrestleMania 20..The main event was great and I enjoyed Jericho/Christian but the rest was either boring or catastrophic(see Lesnar/Goldberg)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I would agree with those who selected 17 and 19, and I don't think everyone has covered why.

However, my other choice (which I would rank 2nd, with 17 as 1st) is Mania 14, a criminally underrated Wrestlemania.

Outside of 17, which arguably was the finish of the attitude era, Mania 14 was the only great wrestlemania, IMO, in possibly WWE's greatest ever era (13,15 and 2000 sucked balls).

The main event, while not a mat classic, was built phenomenally well, with Tyson's appearance one of the few celebrity appearances that makes sense and fits well into the story, and the momentum Astin was carrying ensured it would also be memorable. There was also the first ever Taker/Kane match, which again was a great build and story. You also had a stacked card with some great matches like Taka/Agulia, Shamrock/The Rock and The NAO v. Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie.

I actually agree with you about WM 14, definitly underrated, amlost to the point that's forgotton. Add in to the fact that Michaels wrestled with basically a broken back which draws comparasons to the Lesner/Angle main event of WM 19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Add in to the fact that Michaels wrestled with basically a broken back which draws comparasons to the Lesner/Angle main event of WM 19.

Undertaker didn't have to threaten Angle like he had to with Shawn to get him to lay down and drop the belt though. 'Taker talked about it on Off the Record several years ago.

Wrestlemania 14 is fine. There are some good, entertaining matches on the undercard, nothing that I would class as great though while the the main event is historically very important.

Wresltemania 17 is probably the best but I've never really wanted to re-watch it too many times for whatever reason. It had 4 great matches and I think the fact that WWE hadn't done a stadium show in a long time also gave it an awe factor.

I think the one I've re-watched the most is Wrestlemania 10.

Advertisement