Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 18-01-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi all! I need some help, Im getting an Ironman tattoo, but im not sure what to get :( I had an idea for one in my head but when i made it, it didn't look as cool as i thought it would.
    Its an Adi Granov one from extremis issue one, im trying to get something subtle, as its going on my wrist. Im pretty happy with the one i've chosen, but Im not so sure. What do you think? The editing on the pic is horrible i had to do it in paint. If you have any suggestions please let me know, I need something small, preferably Granov.
    5741-Copy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Not so sure if just the head will look good on Flesh. Will you get it coloured or just going for the outline?

ironman.jpg
    Not sure I could see it as a Tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Im going for coloured

It's a nice Image but I'm not sure it works without the rest of the head.

I don't want it to be really obvious, I want to look like ironman, but kinda not look like him, if you know what I mean. Would u think its a good image, but not a really obvious ironman image? Cos I suppose thats what Im going for.

It's a Great Image as are most Of Adi's Ironman stuff.
    It works as that if that is what your going for.
    I just have no idea how it will look on flesh. Memory serves yellow and red are hard to do on skin.

• Advertisement

http://www.ironmanmovie.com/fanart/images/tImage_20080102_004046403.jpg

The colours in this one look alright, I might my one convert it to black and white when i go home on sunday and see what it looks like.
    Thanks for your input :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The image you've posted doesn't look right because the face looks a bit too much like a halloween mask, because there's no context from the rest of the armour.

My suggestions:

1) don't colour it; it will be less obvious that way, and both red and yellow are supposed to be difficult (and thus painful) colours to get done properly in tattoos,
    2) Take the whole helmet, switch to black and white, and use the outline and some light graded shading. I can't really explain this as easily as I could knock together a mock-up when I get home, so I'll post again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Jonesy3110 wrote: »
    I had an idea for one in my head

I first read this as "I had an idea for one for my head"... Yes, I'm a twit! :o
    Whatever design you decide to go for, it'd probably be a good idea to check out the Body Mod Forum and talk it out with the tattooist as they'll be able to tell you what will work best as a tattoo (especially if you're thinking of metallic style and colour).

I first read this as "I had an idea for one for my head"

Hmmm my fandom hasn't gotten THAT bad.
    ...or has it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the best bet with all comic art is to go as simple as you can. I have my whole lower leg covered in comic book tattoos. I kept them black and white and as simple as possible. Personally I wouldnt get a "modern" Iron man tattoo. you are trying to replicate something that was created with a combo of, pencil, ink and computer graphics with something thats essentially a needle dipped in some mad ink. 99% of the time it doesnt turn out right. Why not go with a "classic" Iron man image?

IronManGrey.jpg

or

1346-1.jpg

Its a lot easier to replicate those classic images into tattoo's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have to say, while those are certainly classic images of the original Iron Man armour, they're also pretty damn ugly-looking. They basically look like the creature from the black lagoon in grey.

My suggestion would be to switch to a partially shaded b&w colour scheme and use something like the below as your basis:

2202913722_23ede1eff3.jpg?v=0

Or, if you want to go with the original grey armour, use the Adi Granov version as it looks much better. (Could only find one page of it online and I don't have any of my issues of that run with me, so the below is more a suggestion of how to tweak the image than something to actually get copied onto you).

2202913724_23ede1eff3.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fysh wrote: »
    Or, if you want to go with the original grey armour, use the Adi Granov version as it looks much better. (Could only find one page of it online and I don't have any of my issues of that run with me, so the below is more a suggestion of how to tweak the image than something to actually get copied onto you).

2202913724_23ede1eff3.jpg?v=0

My only issue with the last one there fysh is it kinda looks like the helmet Ned Kelly made for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    My only issue with the last one there fysh is it kinda looks like the helmet Ned Kelly made for himself.

opps sorry that was me - crashing at my bros tonight and forgot his computer is of course logged in under his name :p

Oh, I'd agree - there are better pictures of that armour from Granov's run, but outside of the context of the whole suit it basically looks like a bucket with holes cut in it.

2202913722_23ede1eff3.jpg?v=0
    Wow that looks great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Not surprising really, since the designs are essentially the same - a metal cylinder with eye holes cut out, Iron Man's just happens to be that bit less angular.

Personally I think the first of the two that Fysh posted looks like the best option for a tattoo, though you'll probably have to put up with blurring as time goes by depending on the placement.

Advertisement