Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Faddish rock movements that have been forgotten

• 18-01-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Just watching these programs on BBC4, there seems to be plenty about Grunge, Punk, Glam, Prog etc but what about some of those rock movements that died a death, here some of my examples

Grebo: A kind of dirty hip hop/metal skater music with Bands like Gaye Bykers on Acid, Crazyhead, Pop will eat itself

Shoegazing: Insular bands playing a slow very heavy layered rock, murdered by the onset of Grunge, with Bands like Chapterhouse, Lush, Ride

Grindcore: Extremely heavy and extremely short songs from Bands like Napalm Death

Not sure about this category but there was a movement from stourbridge in the late 80s/early 90s with bands like wonderstuff, neds atomic dustbin. they had a very distinct sound

Any other examples?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Grindcore is as popular now as it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Well maybe I stand corrected on Grindcore, its just that when it first came out people like John Peel wouldn't shut up about for about a year or so and then it went off the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

SxE Punk wrote: »
    Grindcore is as popular now as it ever was.

yep yep, its pretty popular alright,

grebo? wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fad wrote: »
    grebo? wtf

I've heard the term grebo before, but it was used in a derogatory fashion against people who like Rock, eg; greaser, that kind of thing, not as a subgenre.

Grebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Nu-Metal and god no one mourns it.

• Advertisement

I've heard the term grebo before, but it was used in a derogatory fashion against people who like Rock, eg; greaser, that kind of thing, not as a subgenre.

Grebo.

thanks for the clarification :)

yes, very few people mourn nu metal, but it brought down tuned guitars to the mainstream

Grebo.

I don't think it was derogatory, basically the grebo style was a bit greaser/slacker/skater but at the time, circa 1987 it was an antidote to the Stock aitken waterman, clean thatcherite, times. Remember metal had lost its way somewhat around this time. There was a hole to be filled for fans of the heavier stuff, and Grebo was it, albeit briefly. Grebo tapped into the oncoming rave scene slightly by sampling and using hiphop beats, in particular pop will eat itself. Whilst also the use of the reemergent psychadelic drugs was part of it too.

here's gaye bykers on acid

and pop will eat itself

i am SO glad both of them dissapeared they are both AWFUL

ha ha, yes it hasn't stood the test of time well at all. Thrash metal put an end to this kind of thing, and metal found its way again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Uggh, that was a horrible experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Nu-Metal and god no one mourns it.

nu-metal seems to have morphed into emo tbh, so it still exists on some kind of plain... sadly.

what has died is rap metal though. i wish i could forget fred durst, but alas i can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Grebo is amazing! How did this genre ever fall into ignominy?! Its like the Stone Roses/baggy + metal. I am newly converted to Grebo.

nu-metal seems to have morphed into emo tbh, so it still exists on some kind of plain... sadly.

Well actually I think the shoegazers were problably more emo-ish with their depressive into yourself kind of thing, although a world apart in sound

Here's slowdive, the kings of shoe gaze

TBH, I don't think you could've picked a worse Pop Will Eat Itself song...

How about:

Although, I always considered them part of the industrial scene, as I'd always hear them going to goth/industrial clubs.

Sorry now, but the greatest Pop Will Eat Itself video ever, is this one, on our very own RTE no less:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Jesus Christ, that was all just awful. If you wanted industrial at the time, listen to Killing Joke, if you wanted something heavy, take your pick of thrash, hardcore punk and the emerging death metal scenes.

Grebo was just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Sorry now, but the greatest Pop Will Eat Itself video ever, is this one, on our very own RTE no less:

PWEI, there's a band I have totally forgotten about. Remember seeing that on the Late Late, lmao :D
    Ich Bin Ein Auslander is a great track, my favourite tho' is Get the Girl! Kill the Baddies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Yap Stam

Pop will eat itself was the band Liam Howlett (The Prodigy) used when he wanted rock samples for the album 'Music for the Jilted Generation'. He got them to play a variation of 'very ape' by Nirvana and used the sample for the song 'Voodoo People'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Pop will eat itself were one of the best bands i've seen live, amazing energy with the two vocalists and great drummer. The last three albums(Dos Dedos, Looks or the lifestyle and this is the day) are great, especially Do Dedos. They did a reunion in birmingham a few years ago i had a ticket but couldn't go last minute because of stuff. I got a dvd of the gig and it still looked like they still have it although a bit older.

Clint Mansell is doing a good bit of soundtrack work now.

Yap Stam wrote: »
    Pop will eat itself was the band Liam Howlett (The Prodigy) used when he wanted rock samples for the album 'Music for the Jilted Generation'. He got them to play a variation of 'very ape' by Nirvana and used the sample for the song 'Voodoo People'.

They were also credited on Their law aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Sleaze rock from the 80's is one i never missed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

The kings o shoegaze would be My Bloody Valentine or Ride. Slowdive would fall into more of an ambient category. Drop nineteens, Pale Saints, Lush, Rumskib would all have a much more 'shoegazey' sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Shoegaze is making a bit of a resurgence with bands like Jesu and A Place to Bury Strangers.

Used to love PWEI but kind of grew out of them. Got into them through the Prodigy, good times. Wouldn't class them (or Killing Joke) as industrial though. Samplers and guitars do not an industrial band make.

didnt realize Clint Mansell was singer for PWEI, boy has he made a name for himself

(i am of course refering to the epic Lux Aeterna from 'requiem for a dream')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wrecking Crew

Funk-metal.
    I'm looking at you Mordred, Ignorance and Re-Animator etc.
    Where are you know? Oh, right, cleaning the streets for a living....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gokgok wrote: »
    Sleaze rock from the 80's is one i never missed

sleaze/glam/hairmetal is one genre i miss got to love the OTT of it all, you hear it on ads more often now, such as europe,, poison, GnR, who ever sings i want it all.!!!
    best genre ever!!! no boring serious people!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Paul Daly

kona wrote: »
    sleaze/glam/hairmetal is one genre i miss got to love the OTT of it all, you hear it on ads more often now, such as europe,, poison, GnR, who ever sings i want it all.!!!
    best genre ever!!! no boring serious people!!!:D

Yeah got to agree Motley Crue were the balls,still though their are so many sub-genre's its had to keep track. i wear to god if i hear one more person just take a hard sounding word and add "core" to the end of it ill crack up!

Oh and rape-rock died a quick death(granted i dont think anyone outside of alabama cared)Check out the mentors if you want to listen to some terrible,terrible music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mentors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Paul Daly wrote: »
    Yeah got to agree Motley Crue were the balls,still though their are so many sub-genre's its had to keep track. i wear to god if i hear one more person just take a hard sounding word and add "core" to the end of it ill crack up!

Oh and rape-rock died a quick death(granted i dont think anyone outside of alabama cared)Check out the mentors if you want to listen to some terrible,terrible music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mentors
    LOL. That band are rediculous on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

That period towards the end of the 90s where everything sounded like it belonged in the Matrix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

Totally gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I suppose you could say shoegaze is making a comeback in the reformed Dinosaur Jr and the reforming My Bloody Valentine...Dinos' new album sounds like it came straight from their pre-grunge post-punk heyday.

Advertisement