Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe that civil gay unions should be legalised?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Glad to hear things have developed a little since I was in school, back then if you said something was "gay" you meant that it was crap/bad/awful/sh*t/strongly displeasing/etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@farohar:
    That's still true. But I think it's increasingly frowned upon. I was talking about when gay *people* were attacked with "gay".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I voted yes .

It gives an established couple rights to inheritance/ tax that the rest fo us enjoy. I recall several years back instances where lnot term gay partners were excluded from attending the family funeral of their partner. They also were worried about the standing as regards inheritance with good reason.

The idea as one poster mooted that in would be done for tax reasons is the same as heterosexual couples.

I am glad someone posted reserach data on adoption and the likelyhood of abuse.

A lot of what has been said here was based in presumption and bias. Whether consciously or unconsciously... its almost like there is a presumption that this will happen, whihc is wrong.

Two of my best friends are in a single sex famale realtionship and i have no doubt that they will make good parents. In a similar fashion i have an acquaintance who having children from her marriage, realised she was lesbian and is in a realtionship with a woman and has her children with her. Should that have disbarred her from having the kids?
    If not then why should it be different for anyone else.
    On the abuse thing, well the study did give information that it was more likely to be heterosexual partnerships. My gut feeling was that this was the case but its nice to have at least some data to back it up.

On the bullying and harrassment, well thats about changing the attitudes of the bullies. In the schoolyard I believe it will have come not from any natural tendency from the children themselves but from the prejudices of the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aard wrote: »
    I just want to agree with randylonghorn's post above me. Being gay was not something that would cause one to be the target of bullying - but being a loner, or being introverted and eccentric was.

Also, in several instances where a gay person *was* attacked with "fagg0t" etc, there would often be a backlash from other students, telling the bully "stfu". I think there's a general concensus among teenagers that slagging somebody for being gay is seriously uncool.
    Jeez, you must've went to a much more liberal school than the one I went too. Any reason was a reason to get bullied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Any couple should be able to get married. Marriage happens when you both sign the legal document - whether or not you're in a church at the time is irrelevant to the government. Therefore it has zero to do with religion and anyone should be able to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

wow, what a progressive, liberal bunch we have here!:rolleyes:
    I voted no because I dont think this sort of thing should be promoted in any shape or form. It was illegal not too long ago!
    I think it should stay the way it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@Kev_ps3:
    I can't tell whether your first sentence is sarcastic or not. If it is meant to be sarcastic, then the poll results say the opposite.

And you're right about homosexuality being illegal pre 1993 - only 15 years ago. Most other EU countries have had it legalised for decades, some centuries. You don't give any reason why you think same-sex civil unions should stay illegal, other than to keep the status quo, and I don't think that's a very good argument against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    It was illegal not too long ago!
    True. So was divorce, women voting, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wait.. we mean gay marriage right, not Unions?

Suddenly I started thinking of a Steelworkers union and voted no cos I didnt think there was any real basis for a gay workers union....

But now to be fair: Gay Marriage, I'd support that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal wrote: »
    Suddenly I started thinking of a Steelworkers union and voted no cos I didnt think there was any real basis for a gay workers union....
    >.<

You've been watching way too much Simpsons!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement