Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB mouse/keyboard have no power during bootup

Options
  • 18-01-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently built a new machine, and it works fine, once i get as far as windows.

however, my keyboard is dead to the world for most of the bootup. The bios screen loads, and I can use the keyboard to enter the bios setup, but when I'm prompted for which windows installation to use (it thinks I have two, as I reformatted/reinstalled XP twice, go figure) the keyboard is dead, the numlock lights go out. The same thing happens with my mouse, the lights go out and stay out until windows loads, when everything works as normal.

I've tried a non-usb keyboard and it works throughout bootup.

my mobo is a "Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, P35, Socket-775"
    keyboard is generic dell, mouse is microsoft sidewinder, but also tried generic dell usb with same result.

Any ideas? I'm getting sick of not being able to press any key to select windows, so i have to wait 30 secs.

If somebody knows how to stop it prompting about different windows installations (there is after all, only one version installed) that would be swell too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Ive the same mobo. In your bios go into the integrated periherals section and make sure your usb and Usb 2.0 options are enabled. Also make sure the keyboard and mouse are plugged in from bootup and not once booted up.
    Im not really in the know as much as some other users here though.So i wouldnt get ur hopes up on my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Goto C:\bios.ini (if C is your main drive), and look at this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

It tells you how to change the BIOS.ini file. You'll have to delete one of the two entries.

I'd advise you to put 1 and 2 after them both, restart the machine, take note of which one you select, and then go back into C:\bios.ini and delete the one that you don't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

thanks guys.

I had a look at my Bios setup again and found two options
    USB keyboard : disabled
    USB mouse : disabled

swapped them and presto, all is well.

I'll try to edit the bios.ini file when I'm sober. ;)

EDIT: actually, when better than half cut to mess with the boot setup of a machine that honestly, works fine. I've followed the_syco's instructions, and everything boots up super smooth. I'm off now to sleep it off.

Advertisement