Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! How do I fix my stupid, crap hair?

• 18-01-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

My hair is usually healthy and shiny but over the past few weeks something has changed. When I wash it, it just never feels clean. The roots are getting greasy within literally a matter of hours, it's lost its shine and it just generally looks crap.

I've never had anything like this happen before. I have pretty thick hair so the only problems I've ever had with it were learning how to de-frizz and straighten it - this greasy thing is really throwing me for a loop!

Since I'm not sure what's causing it (the weather? using a new hairdryer? diet?) I've been trying a few random things to try and fix it - I'm taking vitamin supplements, I bought a detoxing shampoo (Toni and Guy; I'd been looking for a clarifying one but couldn't find one), I stopped wearing my hat in case that was it - but nothing has worked.

My hair isn't coloured and the only product I use is Frizz-Ease, plus sometimes a heat-protection spray when I'm straightening it.

I feel a bit silly posting this but it's really starting to get to me. I just want my hair back! Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please don't tell me it's permanent... It's making me blue :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I change my shampoo and conditioner regularly, i find i only get through about half a bottle and its time to change as it starts to build up. Sometimes i change to something new but i usually alternate between a few trusted brands. Certain products leave my hair lank and greasy like you described after just one wash, those ones get confined to the bin!

Try using something that isn't very rich, you have thick, healthy uncoloured hair so you shouldn't need a really rich conditioner. It sounds a lot like my own hair in that its very thick, healthy but not straight with some friz. I find Nicki Clarke Smooth and Sleek excellent, they sell it in Tesco.

When that happens to my hair i know its time to change shampoo. Not certain thats your problem but its worth a try.

Could also be down to washing too often, i wash my hair roughly 3 times a week. When i wash it too often, i find it drys out, or else ends up the way you described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Stargal wrote: »
    My hair is usually healthy and shiny but over the past few weeks something has changed. When I wash it, it just never feels clean. The roots are getting greasy within literally a matter of hours, it's lost its shine and it just generally looks crap.

I've never had anything like this happen before. I have pretty thick hair so the only problems I've ever had with it were learning how to de-frizz and straighten it - this greasy thing is really throwing me for a loop!

Since I'm not sure what's causing it (the weather? using a new hairdryer? diet?) I've been trying a few random things to try and fix it - I'm taking vitamin supplements, I bought a detoxing shampoo (Toni and Guy; I'd been looking for a clarifying one but couldn't find one), I stopped wearing my hat in case that was it - but nothing has worked.

My hair isn't coloured and the only product I use is Frizz-Ease, plus sometimes a heat-protection spray when I'm straightening it.

I feel a bit silly posting this but it's really starting to get to me. I just want my hair back! Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please don't tell me it's permanent... It's making me blue :(

Have you thought about cutting it short?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

something like that happened to me a while ago, my hair was just greasy no matter how much i washed it. i just didnt wash my hair for a week and then washed it with a shampoo that contained tea tree oil and it went back to normal.i have naturally greay hair anyway and i have to wash it every morning ( and no, leaving a bigger gap between washes does NOT solve this problem like everyone says) but that one time it was excessivly greasy very quick and it worked (or maybe it was just the tea tree oil try it anyway). oh and it wasnt any expensive tea tree oil shampoo, just a boots own brand one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

Have you thought about cutting it short?

eh thats a bit drastic!and your not being helpful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Leaving a bigger gap between washes doesn't fix it, but washing your hair every day is not the way to go either.

Like i said, 3 times a week and my hair is perfectly healthy. Thats long enough to give it a chance but also not long enough for it to get greasy. I suppose this differs for everyone, given that some peoples hair is naturally more greasy than others. Very blond hair for example seems to 'appear' greasy more quickly than brown/dark for some reason.

Tea tree shampoo or something with good clarifying properties would be good, im sure like me you buy shampoo like friz ease to tame the friz, id suggest trying something thats designed for greasy hair to clarifying rather than to moisturise. Good Luck Stargal, let us know how you get on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

eh thats a bit drastic!and your not being helpful...

I dunno, sometimes a change is good. If the hair doesn't get repaired, then it might need to be regrown.

What some people do though is stop using shampoo regularly and use more conditioner instead. I do this and it helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

A lot of conditioners (and some shampoo's) contain Dimethicone (and similar substances) which stay behind in your hair and build up over time, which causes that kind of greasiness.
    Other substances, specifically Sodium/Ammonium-Lauryl Sulphate, can irritate your scalp and trigger production of more sebum than is normal, making your scalp oily.

You should pay close attention to the ingredients list on the back of the bottles, and try find a shampoo/conditioner without that stuff; most of the popular brands contain it and it can be incredibly difficult to find ones that don't, you may have better luck searching in health food shops or online sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sheena1985

Hi, I found myself with a similiar problem not so long ago. The top of my roots seemed greasy all the time, even though I wash my hair every morning. I realised that it was a build up from shampoo (other hair products cause build up too).

I bought a 'build up removal' shampoo from Boots (own brand), and it literally removed all the build up, and my hair was good as new :) heres the link for it: http://www.boots.com//brandtreatment/product_details_brand_treatment.jsp?productid=1080422&slmRefer=BootsExpert

I think Neutrogena do a similar product as well..

Defo worth a try anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mollie006

Agreed---change shampoo and conditioner often and once a week use a product that gets rid of build up. If you highlight, it will lighten your hair...but if it suits you, it is an added bonus.

• I have the exact same problem. I've always had grease prone hair, even as a kid, but lately it's unbearable.
    Like i said, 3 times a week and my hair is perfectly healthy. Thats long enough to give it a chance but also not long enough for it to get greasy. I suppose this differs for everyone, given that some peoples hair is naturally more greasy than others. Very blond hair for example seems to 'appear' greasy more quickly than brown/dark for some reason.

My hair would be disgusting if I only washed it 3 times a week. I have dark brown hair and for the past 8 years or so, washed it every other day. Lately, it's been looking revolting on the 2nd day, to the point people have actually commented on it. It literally looks like I haven't washed it in a week, so I've ended up having to wash it every day just so I don't go out feeling gross.

Has anyone tried any of the 'natural' products from places like Lush? Shampoo bars and the like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Try Kerastase Bain Divalent - around €18 - It removes oils from the roots and conditions the ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

I think that shampoos and conditions and other styling products are only short term solutions. You need to make your hair healthy from the inside out. You need to use a good supplement but the results won't happen overnight.
    I used to use cheap boots ones and stuff but was recommended Dr Udo's oil by a friend who had been using it for skin problems but had noticed hair improvement too. I find it brilliant as I have naturally dry hair prone to damage. It made it lovely and soft and healthy. Her hair is prone to be greasy and it also worked for her. It's meant to have the perfect blend of Omega oils or something.
    You will find it in Health food shops only as far as I know and it is not cheap about €15 a bottle. If you want long term results it is the only thing that will work. Plus it will improve your skin and nails too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cupcake

Try Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo. You can get it online on HQHair.com or in Nue Blue Eriu on South william St. Best clarifying shampoo ever

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

this happens to me too but when it does I either change the shampoo I use to get rid of buold up (I have a few bottle that I rotate) or I head to the hair dresser as it always feels great after they wash and dry it. Ive found it helps to only put conditioner at the ends. I wash mine every second day and on the second day it looks manky lately but I think its sionce I started to take an omega 3 fish oil supplement so I am hoping with time my scalp will start to regulate the oil again. i also have a horse and horse riding hats make your haor look awful after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

my hair is like this too and the only shampoos that i use now are pantene and herbal essences,rotating them every few days. they are the only ones that dont make my hair look lank all the time...heavy,"nourishing" shampoos will make my hair look greasy after i blowdry it!!!

Another thing, dunno if its a coincidence or not, but since people were mentioning Udos oil, I take a similiar oil called Ultimate Beuaty Oil by Viridian..same kinda deal as the Udos..blend of all the oils that ya need..well since i started using this my hair has been alot softer and not as greasy..maybe it regulated the oils or something...so this and along with the shampoos i mentioned seem to be a winning formula for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Before spending a fortune on all those products that might/might not work, just try washing up liquid on dry hair, then wash and condition as usual.

My daughter does this every fortnight (her hair started getting greasy etc due to hormonal changes) and it works a treat, this was recommended by my hairdresser :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

RAFC wrote: »
    Before spending a fortune on all those products that might/might not work, just try washing up liquid on dry hair, then wash and condition as usual.
    Really? Colour me sceptical but I'd always thought that was just an urban legend about that actually working?

Thanks for all the advice folks, really appreciating it. The main tip seems to be change shampoo and conditioner - I usually just switch between different Pantene and Herbal Essences stuff so I'll try something different tomorrow. If that doesn't work then I'm going to go buy a tea-tree oil/Kerastase/Bumble and Bumble one I think...

It seemed to bit a little bit better when I washed it on Saturday - I spent ages shampooing and then didn't use as much conditioner in the roots as I usually do and it's a shinier and not nearly as greasy. Hopefully it'll be getting back to normal when I wash it tonight.

It's mad, I never thought I could be so self-conscious about my hair but I've been seriously paranoid about it the past few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

you dont need conditioner anywhere near the roots. try using leave in conditioner halfway down your hair instead.

you dont need conditioner anywhere near the roots. try using leave in conditioner halfway down your hair instead.
    Hmm, I don't really buy that. I can understand why it would prob be necessary for someone with naturally oily hair (so yes, at the moment that would include me!) but my hair is thick and healthy and I've always used conditioner at the roots with no adverse effects. In fact it seems to keep them very healthy looking, if anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Try Kerastase Bain Divalent - around €18 - It removes oils from the roots and conditions the ends.

+1. this stuff is fantastic. i've greasy hair and i usethis whenever i find it geting lank. also use teh bodyshop nettle shampoo for greasy hair. its great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I had the same problem & what worked is the following:

Well SP shampoo & conditioner - the 'Sun' ones in the orange bottle.
    If that doesn;t work on its own shampoo your hair before wettin g- it cuts the grease better. Then wet slightly & when there is still shampoo in your haid put the conditioner in the ends. Rince the whole lot together.

Sounds mad but works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Stargal wrote: »
    Really? Colour me sceptical but I'd always thought that was just an urban legend about that actually working?

Thanks for all the advice folks, really appreciating it. The main tip seems to be change shampoo and conditioner - I usually just switch between different Pantene and Herbal Essences stuff so I'll try something different tomorrow. If that doesn't work then I'm going to go buy a tea-tree oil/Kerastase/Bumble and Bumble one I think...

It seemed to bit a little bit better when I washed it on Saturday - I spent ages shampooing and then didn't use as much conditioner in the roots as I usually do and it's a shinier and not nearly as greasy. Hopefully it'll be getting back to normal when I wash it tonight.

It's mad, I never thought I could be so self-conscious about my hair but I've been seriously paranoid about it the past few weeks!
    Works for us here, wouldn't do it more than once a fortnight though, but that's just me.

be careful of the pantene if your hair is coloured hair dresser warned me it fades color and stops color taking as it coats the hair with silicon. I stopped using the conditioner because while it left my hair soft it also made it greasyv quick

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Really? I have coloured hair, and I use pantene. But maybe I should invest in a better shampoo to keep the colour for longer. What do you recommend. My hair doesn't get greasy from pantene conditioner, so is it ok to continue using that?

id say best bet is to get the pantene one for coloured hair rather than using the regular one. I use the john frieda shampoo for colured hair the moisturising brunette one its nice but I still use the pantene conditioner for colured hair as it makes the hair soooo soft. Unfortunately my hair does get greasy but thats not to say that will happen to everyone ive just got a greasy scalp!
    pantene coats hair in silicon thats why it makes it so shiny and soft. we use special sprays for horses coats and tails to make them shine and be lovely and soft and that contains silicon too it def has shine power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Really? I have coloured hair, and I use pantene. But maybe I should invest in a better shampoo to keep the colour for longer.

Me too. I use Pantene Ice Shine most of the time, I had actually wondered if it was very harsh because my highlights seem to fade very quickly, but it's the only shampoo that gets my hair really clean looking :( I've tried lots of other brands but my hair always looks dull and flat after them.

What do you recommend. My hair doesn't get greasy from pantene conditioner, so is it ok to continue using that?

I'd also appreciate any recommendations for a daily shampoo and conditioner for highlighted hair with greasy roots/dry ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I have always had the old problem of greasy roots/dry ends.

My hairdresser suggested to me one day that I give up conditioner. I took her advice and now I only condition twice a year (with something good) and get regular trims, and the problem has resolved.

I have since come to believe that conditioner is something we don't actually need.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A pile of hairdressers have warned me against using Pantene because it leaves such a load of residue on your hair. They usually recommend L'Oreal to me, but I rarely use it.

It's mad how many people have been warned against using Pantene. I always thought it was brilliant - however I think I'm going to take a break from it for a while after reading all this. I don't know if would have anything to do with it, but I used a really strong Pantene hair mask for about an hour a few days before my hair started going all weird. Coincidence? Well, maybe, but just in case...!

And yay, my hair is back to normal! Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice, seriously appreciated it.

• Advertisement

for anyone wondering about conditioners the john frieda clear shine stuff is fabulous it leaves your hair gleaming and doesnt deposit any colour or anything. I just put it on the mid to ends of my hair I never condition the toop it doesnt need it your natural oils in your scalp will condition the top of your hair.
    the body shop olive shampoo is great stuff too. I know it says for dry hair but the thing is if your hair is greasy and you use a shampoo that cleans it alot (pantene being one), it will just get your scalp to produce more grease to compensate. the trick is to regulate it with a shampoo that doesnt dry it too much.

piglet lover - I once colured my hair and didnt like the colur so asked a hairdresser what to do and she topld me to use pantene as it would help strip the color out so if the hightlights are fading your shampoo may be the reason. Loreal products are good as they also make a lot of hair colours so their shampoos will be good for coloured hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭petek

i had this problem for years too, and thought the best way was changing shampoo/conditioner. in the past year though i've been reading this forum http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/ (even though i wasn't trying to grow my hair long, just get it in better condition and get it to grow thicker). its full of loads of advice for alternatives to shampoo and conditioner. those women have tried all kinds of weird stuff to make their hair better and prevent washing it too much (because most normal shampoo is very damaging). one thing they're always complaining about is the use of silicone (or cones as they call them) which is like another poster mentioned earlier Demithicone and a few other things like that, basically anything on the ingredients list that ends in 'cone will leave a build up on your hair and you'll need to clarify it.
    another tip to help your hair is to skip shampoo and go straight to conditioner, it sounds crazy but it does clean your hair. the oils in the conditioner break down the excess oils in your hair, but is much gentler than shampoo. you've got to use a lot of conditioner and massage it well from root to tip and leave it as long as possible (do it first thing when u get into the shower then do all your other bits, shaving etc, then rinse off at the very end). try it on a day u don't have to go anywhere important if u dont trust it, but its always worked fine for me, its a good way to give yourself a break from shampoo for a day or two and still look clean.

but the best thing i ever did was switch to tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner, its completely amazing. the conditioner gets my hair so clean and shiney if i do condition only, and every 2nd day or so i use a little of the shampoo but make sure to massage it really well into my scalp (same as i would the conditioner). the conditioner especially is great, feels really soothing on your scalp (and helps clear dandruff and irritations). its not that cheap, but a lot cheaper and more natural and safe for the environment than some of the 18 euro shampoo's some people recommend. i use "herbal authority" tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner, only place i've seen it for sale is holland and barrett, where its 6euro but sometimes in the half price sale its 3 euro. it looks like this:
    005220_lg.jpg

Advertisement