Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Carefully!

Options
  • 18-01-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Was in doing the sound for Othello today and saw some poor dude skid and put his MG convertible straight into the bike rack outside Astra Hall (via the bushes) around lunchtime. Luckily the car wasn't too bad (took the front bumper off) and the driver was fine but it could have been a lot worse - take it easy around campus, especially if you don't have ABS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Were there any bikes there at the time? Because if so, they'd probably have gotten it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Pics or it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Raphael wrote: »
    Were there any bikes there at the time? Because if so, they'd probably have gotten it worse.

There was a bike almost literally under the car in it's final resting place. However, since the car had gone up onto the metal rack, the bike was completely unharmed. I figure it might be a bit awkward for the owner to come back to his bike and find a car on it though :/
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Wait for dajaffa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Voilá

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Must have been driving like he was on Silverstone to do that... Though the bollards at the church seem to get the worst of it normally, there's always cones there marking the smashed ones :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well at least the bike's ok!

(I'm a cyclist, so sue me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Must have been driving like he was on Silverstone to do that... Though the bollards at the church seem to get the worst of it normally, there's always cones there marking the smashed ones :rolleyes:

Not at all. I saw the crash - basically the car is RWD and had no ABS so he drifted at a low speed. Realistically if he was going at any sort of speed the windscreen would shatter. As it was, his airbag didn't even deploy. Poor dude was only a 5th year as well.

(DaJaffa - block out the last bit of the reg)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

jimi_t wrote: »
    Not at all. I saw the crash - basically the car is RWD and had no ABS so he drifted at a low speed. Realistically if he was going at any sort of speed the windscreen would shatter. As it was, his airbag didn't even deploy.

How's that? Airbags deploy on impact, they're triggered by G force sensors which pick up sudden deceleration (ie hitting something). Windscreen won't get broken unless it's struck or the front is damaged enough to deform the frame. It's quite possible to spin out or skid at speed without any of the above happening as long as you don't hit anything...

I'll take your word as to speed here though since you saw it, but I ride a bike on campus and the amount of morons gunning it round trying to show off to their mates gets on my nerves, only a matter of time before someone gets hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Had trouble uploading to the original post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

wow so it actually happened! lucks like that motorbike owner had a lucky enough escape. Did the car come off the road just after coming around the corner there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

MuddyDog wrote: »
    wow so it actually happened! lucks like that motorbike owner had a lucky enough escape. Did the car come off the road just after coming around the corner there?

I think he was actually coming from the sports centre towards the bend looking for parking. If you stand on the Road facing Astra Hall you'll see where he hopped the kerb onto the bike racks - the bushes got very little damage.
    Tayto2000 wrote:
    How's that? Airbags deploy on impact, they're triggered by G force sensors which pick up sudden deceleration (ie hitting something). Windscreen won't get broken unless it's struck or the front is damaged enough to deform the frame. It's quite possible to spin out or skid at speed without any of the above happening as long as you don't hit anything...

No idea. I went out to the poor dude about 10 minutes before the end of the show when he was waiting for the tow truck. He was bricking it because it was his brothers car and he was only a named driver but I had a look at it for him - he didn't buckle his axle, do any damage to his headlights or the underside of the chassis. All he did was take off the bumper manifold and grill - the way the little car hopped the kerb meant he didn't even take off much paint going into the bushes.
    I'll take your word as to speed here though since you saw it, but I ride a bike on campus and the amount of morons gunning it round trying to show off to their mates gets on my nerves, only a matter of time before someone gets hit...

Too right, hence the thread title - especially in this kind of weather even the straights can be very precarious. In fairness to services though, they seem to be keeping most of the storm drains in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As a driver into UCD.

Ha Ha

****ing Retard. Everyone is well hard speedy gonzales big nob lotharios until they mount it over some trees and then its "poor lad" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Funnily enough the person who owned the bike didnt seem to show up at all- the bike was still sitting there on the broken rack at about 7 O Clock when I was leaving.

Dajaffa was all over that crash like the Papperazi- when i saw her taking those pics i knew well where they were going!!!

Advertisement