Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 warning lights

Options
  • 18-01-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

question for any of the mechanics out there i recently noted the brakes warning light coming on in my audi so i duly changed the brake pads however only one of the pads i had contained the sensor connection so know i still have the brake warning light on!!!! its going for an NCT shortly can i get this light deactivated/ turned off??

also passanger side dim bulb is gone my god there next to impossible to put in why are the audis engine bays so tight or is there an easy way out of this that im missing out on?????

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Yeah same on mine, the abs connection thing is very tempermentle, shouldnt effect the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The brake pad warning light shouldn't affect the NCT as they only check for braking efficiency/imbalance. But the blown bulb will mean that they can't check the headlamp alignment, which will fail the car. Check your manual for instructions on how to replace the bulb. If you don't have a manual then some of the Audi forums might be of assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

crosstownk wrote: »
    The brake pad warning light shouldn't affect the NCT as they only check for braking efficiency/imbalance. But the blown bulb will mean that they can't check the headlamp alignment, which will fail the car. Check your manual for instructions on how to replace the bulb. If you don't have a manual then some of the Audi forums might be of assistance.

The manual tells you to bring it to a main dealer to get it done!It's simple enough to replace the bulb.Just remove the casing at the rear of the unit which is held in place by a clip and remove old bulb and replace with new.It is very awkward to do.The dimmer bulb is even worse!

Moanin wrote: »
    The manual tells you to bring it to a main dealer to get it done!

:eek: I didn't know that! Jaysus, and I thought a Laguna was a pain to replace the bulbs..............

Replacing things like bulbs should be borne in mind by designers, imo. Having to bring your chariot back to a garage for a bulb replacement is ridiculous - with the exception of dash panel bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

stretchaq wrote: »
    brake warning light - can i get this light deactivated/ turned off??

You could try a Service Interval Light Reset (2001-on) but that might be a bit over the top... not sure if this offers a brake reset option.

1. Insert your key into the ignition.
    2. Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click.
    3. The display should read either "oil" or "service" or whatever (if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2).
    4. To reset, push the clock adjustment knob the bottom of the tachometer.
    5. Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer and all is reset.

If it blows up don't blame me...

• Advertisement

TJJP wrote: »
    You could try a Service Interval Light Reset (2001-on) but that might be a bit over the top... not sure if this offers a brake reset option.

1. Insert your key into the ignition.
    2. Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click.
    3. The display should read either "oil" or "service" or whatever (if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2).
    4. To reset, push the clock adjustment knob the bottom of the tachometer.
    5. Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer and all is reset.

If it blows up don't blame me...

It's the low brake pad warning light that is on - not in any way related to the service indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

crosstownk wrote: »
    It's the low brake pad warning light that is on - not in any way related to the service indicator.

Fair enough, thought it worth a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I had this in the A6 when I got it first.

I'd recommend getting a proper pad set that has the indicator facility you don't have to get OEM ones- just less cheap spurious. Pads aren't very expensive anyway.

I heard tales of pulling a stunt at the caliper to short circuit the wires to make it think it has perfect pads but that's total bodgeville.

I once tried to change a parklamp in the dark in the rain thinking to myself 'how hard can it be'? One new lamp unit later:rolleyes:

A4 lamps are made of mush. It's so easy to mess up the beams while you're at it.

TJJP wrote: »
    Fair enough, thought it worth a try...

Yep - brake pads are replaced as they wear and because of so many different driving styles they are not replaced at specific intervals in the way oil, oil filter and other parts are replaced.

However, what you have posted will be of great interest to those who do DIY servicing on their Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Strange set of pads with only one pad with wear indicator, I would have taken them back. Are you sure you didnt fit both pads with wires on one side leaving none for the other. Anyway, I would have thought that not connected would mean no light as these things usually rely on the end of the wire thats embedded in the pad earthing on the disc as the pad becomes worn. Is it one wire system?
    Head lamp....Should just be very minor stuff to remove to get at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement