Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny 64

• 18-01-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I am new to the boards and also to campervaning. We have just purchased one and are planning to visit France for a month in the summer, just wondering does anyone have tips or campsites etc that they can recommended. All comments welcome.

Thanks

Kilkenny 64

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Welcome to boards and doubly welcome to this forum !

Haven't been off this island for a long time, so no valid tips from me ...but I'm sure someone else will fill you in soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Hello and welcome...France, it's a big country so where does one start.

Ferries, A few choices, Irish Ferries, Britanny Ferries and CelticLink Ferries to either Roscoff or Cherburg. Landlink option via the UK.

We started visiting Britanny around 8 years ago and then ventured south to the Vendee region for quiet a few years. The Vendee region is particulary nice with superb beeches. Lots of good quality campsites all ranging from arund €20 to €30 per night. They tend to get busy around mid-July when the UK shools close. A particulary nice chain of campsites is http://www.les-castels.com/en/

I'd recommend you pick up a copy of the Alan Rogers guide which has tonnes of quality campsies. Book available on-line or Easons.

There's quiet a few threads on this board about France if you search back a few dozen pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi.

Ive been to France many a yr now with my parents+family....

Firstly, will u br rbinging kids? The reason I ask is there are a HUGE number of what are called "camping municipal" sites - these are run by town councils, are very keep but many are quite basic regards "extras"... These sites can be hit and miss - my advise would be to have a drive/walk around the site before booking in... They tend to be quite and quite a bit cheaper tahn other, more commercial sites... we have found some lovely municipal sites and some that have had everything - swimming pools etc...

Campsites is something that France is def NOT short of! There are campsites about every 5miles - literally! We never went withj a plan/itinery, we just pulled out the map said head for "X" and then just stop omce near where ever! Of course there IS the option of "wild camping" (om rest stops, petrol station/truck stops etc) BUT care is needed when staying in these plaves (sorry, just remembered you have a caravan - not a camper - this may restrict this a little more - not necessarily tho! Just read other threads here regards safety when camping "wild")

Do you intend to much travelling? How far down/across France? headoing south or east? We tended to head over towards the east a little (Not even as far as Paris) travel down the "center" of France and then come back up the west coast.... You have got teh more commercial sites on the coast obviously - thelikes of St. Jean de Monts etc - very touristic areas... There are some v ery BIG, expensive campsites here - the ones that have campotel and key-camp in them... It will be difficult to get into these site in July/August - you could book if really desired...

In France campsites tend to have a set price for youir caravan plus two adults, additional people can really hike the price - just something to bear in mind. The usualy is to pay between 5-12euro per child.person after the first two (again, not sure of that applies to you or not)

We found teh "Michelin" book to be excellent - have ALL sites in it - ewven the really small sites.... It has a good legend in it and covers everything - we found it really excellent and used it for many a year!

Good luck - you'll love it! :)

Feel free to ask any more specific Q's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kilkenny64

Thanks to everyone for their comments, will be back with specific questions.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

if you are into 4* campsites with nice water pools etc and good facilities then I would recommend you check out the already recommended Alan Rogers. They have a website and you can search the campsites. If you read carefully you can choose between large active sites suitable for teenagers or quieter ones.

Another good idea is to use google maps on a particular area and the search for businesses and put in "camping".

If you want to be free agents then just use the Aires/Municipals with no booking in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement