Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax, duty and excise rates - where to find the exchange rates?

• 18-01-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the exchange rates are published for the month?

Also, what is the legality of a delivery company charging you an administration fee (for paying the duty for you etc.) when at the original point of sale this was not mentioned at all? Surely the contract must state this extra charge for it to be valid?

^Hypothetical question - I'm studying contract law right now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Hypothetical ;).....

Presumably you are talking about something which was purchased from outside the European Union and therefore liable to these duties. Had it been purchased in Ireland VAT would have been included in the purchase price.

So far as I am aware, all these duties fall on you, as technically you are the importer of goods above the threshold. I would not have thought there is any obligation on the vendor to inform you of these costs as they have no responsibility for their payment.

I think the issue regarding the collection of outstanding excise etc is a far more interesting question though. Presumably the various courier companies have contracts with the Revenue Commissioners that they act on their behalf. However, I fail to see why one cannot settle their debt directly with the Revenue rather than paying a large administration fee to the courier firm. This precise situation actually came up quite recently when the girlfriend's little sister ordered some clothes from America off the internet. A couple of days after arrival FEDex sent her a letter requesting the various duties to be paid. I told her parents that they should get in touch with the Revenue Commissioners in order to clarify the situation but they weren't bothered so I still don't know! I know from their experience that if you don't pay quickly they start sending threatening letters anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh I (hypothetically) would be under the threshold anyway (currently at 22 euro) see here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/faq_cat5.htm

"Goods of Negligible Value

Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief."

But doing research I found that people who were charged this admin fee decided to pay without challenging it...but is it legally enforcable?

Any ideas anyone?

I never signed any contract with the delivery company nor did I agree to their terms and conditions - they couldn't legally enforce their charge could they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Any ideas anyone?

I never signed any contract with the delivery company nor did I agree to their terms and conditions - they couldn't legally enforce their charge could they?

I doubt they could enforce the charges. But all they'd do is send the item back and you'd be out of pocket for it. They are providing a service to you, as you have gone over the limit and it costs them money to do this.

TBH we've got away without paying the duty that was due for ages and now we are complaining cause they have started to enforce the law. Only way around it is to buy from within the EU.

Oh in my personal case I haven't gone over the limit so that's not a problem (hence me posing the hypothetical question).

• Advertisement
Advertisement