Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free website

Options
  • 18-01-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    I'm considering setting up a website for a school project. I want it to be free and i would like it to have FTP if possible, I know about HTML and all that but I don't know much about webhosting and domains. If anyone can offer advice i would appreciate it very much. I should probably also mention that I hope collect opinions using polls etc. I dont know much about this but i'm a fast learner where computers are involved so i'm sure I can pick it up, just thought that i'd mention it in case it makes any difference to suggestions on webhosts etc.
    thanks in advance,
    Geistmorder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 geistmorder

Can anyone suggest a service i could use? anyone at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Patience... :)

Have you tried searching on Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

If your looking for a free decent website which will allow you enough cpu and features to run polls and things like that, your doing well. ...and your not going to get a .com domain name or anything like that for free...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I want a new car, preferably with a 2l engine and air con, but I'd like it free...

but serioiusly:
    http://www.blacknight.ie/soho.0.html

€35/anum ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Since its only for a school project there should be no need for the OP to have to buy into anything.

OP, is this second or third level? Guessing second, but may as well clarify.

• Advertisement

.tk's are free for a start.

Secondly, are you eligible for Digiweb's free hosting + domain name thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Myth wrote: »

Hence the question regarding second or third level :)

Thanks for the replies,
    is this second or third level?
    second, its a ty project on the EU, me and a couple of friends want to take an unusual approach, the rules say we can present it through any medium.
    your not going to get a .com domain name or anything like that for free...
    Ya i know i really dont mind what the domain is as long as it can do all the stuff i need
    i read something about them being unable to use ftp, if you know anything about them i would appreciate any info or opinions. also do they provide webhosting or just the name?
    Patience... smile.gif
    sorry if i come across as impatient but i'm anxious to get this going
    nope, i dont use digiweb

I did some research and found this place http://www.x10hosting.com they seem to offer a good service and they give subdomains i was wondering if any of you knew of them or if you know whether they are good or bad or if you could tell from looking at their site, sorry but I'm a newbie at this whole webhosting thing.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/

I used to use this about 10 years ago... It was very good at the time

it has ftp etc...

• Advertisement

nope, i dont use digiweb

http://www.digiweb.ie/studentoffer/

...was what I was saying.

And boourns Aidan, you got there 1 minute before me!

Oh, sorry Myth, I didnt know about that offer, no I'm not elligible technically for that but I do have a UCC student email address.
    hmm.....that angelfire one sounds good, does anyone know about that x10hosting place though?

Advertisement