Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lads - A Decent Irish Haridressers

• 18-01-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Okay guys i'm 19, gay and a bloody big self confessed metrosexual! :D

For like the last two years i'm always gotten my hair highlighted and cut in a local unisex hair salon but last month the girl i normally get moved outside Dublin and also to another job leaving my stuck for a new place. I ended up trying another fairly decent looking place near where i live. I got a polish girl (no problem there) who couldnt really understand me (problem here) which made me wanna leave but eventually another polish staff member translated everything, assured me all was well and away she went.... The end result was a DISASTER!!

My hair is naturally blonde but i get white blonde cap highlights, and a longish cut,
    but this place somehow managed to turn my hair ginger.... YES GINGER HIGHLIGHTS! With less than 4 Weeks to Christmas i wasnt all too impressed, I caused uproar and left without paying.
    The offered to 'fix' but i wasnt letting them near me and instead i went to a barbers, got a short cut and lived under a hat since! lol

So now over a 9/10 weeks on and my hair is long and less ginger looking :p
    Time to get it back to normal! :)

Anyone know a decent bloke place that does highlighting and stuff?
    No disrespect to any non-nationals.... but somewhere with Irish staff?

I thought i'd ask on here before asking some random 16 year old with a mullet lol :D

Cheers Guys ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭pinklady2

I can recommend cats Grafton Street not exclusive for men..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Don't mean to hijack OP, but similar topic.
    I know there's loads of threads on barbers doing what they like to your head, but never was I more in awe of the indisputable ignorance I experienced in The Grafton Barber during the week.

Went in looking for something a little different (for me) but simple: a decent choppy layer cut with a bit of texture - apparently it's mainly done with a nifty hand and a razor, cutting to different lengths. A pretty basic cut in the barber's repertoire.

Like this:

buzz93.jpg

This is precisely what I asked for, and suggested how it might be done. Yet even as I was saying it, the barber clearly wasn't listening to a word that was coming out of my mouth. After I'd finished his reply was "what blade do ya want", and proceeded to a standard blade-on-the-sides cut-on-top job. I was actually so bowled over at the ignorance of this guy (otherwise nice and chatty) that I just sat there like a gibbering goldfish out of water.

Now I'm pretty shy, and feel like an utter prat asking for my hair to be styled such and such, so yes it's my own fault for letting it go, but can anyone recommend a barber that a) understands basic cut terminology and b) actually listens to what you say?

To be honest I find it extraordinary that someone would even want to work in barbering unless they had a passion for pleasing their clients and understanding what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

My cousin has a salon in Temple Bar, and the girl working for him is apparently an excellent colorist. I don't get my hair coloured, so can't really speak for that, but she can certainly cut hair well - she generally gives me a better cut than my cousin does! :D

Anyway, I've no idea what they're like for guys, but I've seen several guys there, and my cousin is the most stereotypical male hairdresser in the world ever (gay as Christmas and then some!) so presumably he'd have a bit of cop-on regarding a guy's hair ;)

Anyway, in case you're interested it's The Room, downstairs in the same building as Cafe Erie and Sé-Sí on Fownes St (behind Trastevere restaurant). My cousin is Colm, the owner, and the girl's name is Orla. There's another guy there called John, but I've never had my hair cut by him so don't know what he's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

House of Colour on Abbey Street sorted me out. But you have to pay to cut any sort of decent cut, all the horror stories on this board come from barbers :D

Advertisement