Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak in plumbing under the floor.

Options
  • 18-01-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Have a small leak in the plumbing, not sure whether it's the heating or the Hot and cold feeds. It's under the floor but it could be in any number of pipes over a large enough area from the way the symptoms present themselves.

Is there any equipment which a plumber would have to identify where it is or am I doomed to keep ripping through tiles, wood flooring, carpet and 3 inches of screed until I find it.

Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I empathies 100% with you !!

Had the same thing about 3 years ago.

After lifting footpaths outside, tiles from inside and wooden floors we eventually found a fitting on the CH came loose and was going straight to ground through the hardcore (30 year old house)

The way the plumber found it was to put an air compressor on one of the pipes and walk around listening.

p.s. If the leak is in the heating you will hear the header tank in the attic filling, thats if its not a pressurised system.

p.p.s Just so you are aware. Your house insurance will cover any damage the water does to your floors, not what damage you cause looking for the leak, they also cover about €500 locate and repair plumbing fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

I empathies 100% with you !!?????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

dgosul.
    Have you nothing better to do than replying to oleras's post pointing out spelling
    or grammar mistakes!
    People look for and give advice here.

Thats the second time mods he has done this to oleras.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

dgosul banned for a week from the G/DIY for acting the muppet (twice). PM me after a week for the ban to be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

same thing happened me I dug up the floors and replaced all pipes to hot and cold pipes
    Heating pipes should be ok as same water is in system all the time and has anti corrision stuff in it
    hot and cold taps has new water going through them all the time the problem with just fixing the leak is the pipes life might be up and you could get another leak next year .
    cheak if your insurance will cover it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

House is just two years old so the life of the pipes better not be up!!:o

Anyway, symptoms showed up in the hallway. There is a wall separating the hall and the kitchen which showed signs of damp. But I think the problem is coming from the Hot and Cold in the kitchen. Have dug and exposed the pipes but it could be coming from either side so waiting to see will one side dry out a bit before digging up more porcelain tiles!!

Oleras, I appreciate the empathy. It's really depressing to see the leak and not have any real clue as to where it's coming from beyond having it narrowed down to about 50 ft of pipe.... that's rather more digging of screed than I'd like!!

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Avns1s wrote: »
    House is just two years old so the life of the pipes better not be up!!:o

Anyway, symptoms showed up in the hallway. There is a wall separating the hall and the kitchen which showed signs of damp. But I think the problem is coming from the Hot and Cold in the kitchen. Have dug and exposed the pipes but it could be coming from either side so waiting to see will one side dry out a bit before digging up more porcelain tiles!!

Oleras, I appreciate the empathy. It's really depressing to see the leak and not have any real clue as to where it's coming from beyond having it narrowed down to about 50 ft of pipe.... that's rather more digging of screed than I'd like!!

Thanks again folks.
    Could you get a moisture meter and find the "wettest" section and start there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

We had a problem like this when the dishwasher was repaired and the repair man did not plug the outflow pipe in correctly... all the water went under the floor boards. We had to take up the wooden floors and replace them with new ones.

Advertisement