Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has the free game due to live problems been announced yet?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

they obviously just didnt forecast the amount of users they were going to receive.

it actually does happen alot everywhere, work places not forecasting budgets properly, staff to cope with demand, products to cope with demand (wii) enough road space to deal with cars ( dublin)

you cant really slate them for it

as that class act law suit in america with xbox live, which from my hearings of the case isnt going anywhere, its not against the law to make an incorrect forecast.

and deep reading into the service conditions and contracts etc does clearly state about downtimes and service crashes

they arnt within any legal bounds to give us a game, its just good pr, like world of warcraft where the slighest of server problems gives you a free day play, good pr.

they could have offered us pong, and it wouldnt have mattered what we thought of the game, its the gesture from a pr stance.

sony arnt giving away free stuff for their piss poor attempt at online gaming, that they "promised"

think people just need to get over the fact it was down like was mentioned above, **** happens.

and like i said i wont be touching much of undertripe so for me i got nothing, but im not that pissed of about it.

i think ms does get some unfair criticsms, every tijme ive dealt with their customer support they have being nothing but 110% helpful solving problems or anwsering queries.

And for their console breakings...well they did give 3 year extended warranties, and they repair service is top notch, the damaged consoles people get on return are due to couriers...ms didnt send you back a broken console.

and they do all of this free of charge for repairs....and even in instances where warranties are out they still give most people free repairs ( have had 3 friends get it for free)

and when problems have being encountered on ms side ( losing arcade games randomly, dodgy discs gamertag deleted etc ) ms support have been very good to react, giving free live, ms points and games.

its just the typical scenario, the bad stories always come to light, cant remember seeing a post giving fair dues to MS for their efforts.

well heres mine

Every contact ive had with Ms customer support by phone and email ( roughly ten times in the past month due to setting up friends machines) have been extremely helpful, fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 QesQnr

Undertow is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

QesQnr wrote: »
    Undertow is awful.
    Seconded!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

basquille wrote: »
    Seconded!

Thirded. How about giving us something decent. Puzzle Quest would be great if I hadn't bought it and become addicted already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

brim4brim wrote: »
    Don't look at me. I'm happy :D

I just feel sorry for all the people that have been screwed over because Ms only gave one game which some people have purchased and only allow the game to be downloadable for a short period of time so people who are getting their badly designed console repaired can't download it at for free at all.

I'm sorry but its a crappy deal for those people. I'm just glad I'm not one of them.

Sorry I'm not so selfish and oblivious to other peoples situations that I can actually feel sorry for them. I'll try to be more like you from now on :rolleyes:

If you've already bought it you can ring Customer Support and get a different game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

they obviously just didnt forecast the amount of users they were going to receive.

it actually does happen alot everywhere, work places not forecasting budgets properly, staff to cope with demand, products to cope with demand (wii) enough road space to deal with cars ( dublin)

you cant really slate them for it

Nope, can expect to be notified though. How long did it take them to acknowledge the problems? They didn't get it sorted in a reasonable amount of time IMO. It was just badly managed. They could have talked to the community throughout the outage and let them know that they know and are working on the problem.

Live is supposed to be a community but it is run too much like a business service at times. If Live was a simple forum, the users would have been informed by the admin of the problems. I know its very complex but they have people who's job it is to support the community and they failed to do that properly in this instance judging from the reaction of gamers. Personally I don't care because I had no BB at the time :)
    as that class act law suit in america with xbox live, which from my hearings of the case isnt going anywhere, its not against the law to make an incorrect forecast.

That law suit was just stupid in pretty much everyones opinion. This isn't a look at the average live user but an example of people that would run out in front of a car and break a leg if they thought they'd get a couple of million out of it.

sony arnt giving away free stuff for their piss poor attempt at online gaming, that they "promised"

This isn't a fair comparison. Sony don't charge? What would the reaction of people who advertise on Sony's service be if the number of people online dropped by a couple of thousand so the numbers they were told they'd be marketing to when they signed up were in fact much lower? They'd complain like hell. Gamers didn't loose much other than the ability to play online so they don't have a right to complain on that level but they can at least be annoyed and vent about the problem.
    think people just need to get over the fact it was down like was mentioned above, **** happens.

and like i said i wont be touching much of undertripe so for me i got nothing, but im not that pissed of about it.

Agreed, played some of it last night and it is terrible. I was never affected by the problem so I'll take it :D
    i think ms does get some unfair criticsms, every tijme ive dealt with their customer support they have being nothing but 110% helpful solving problems or anwsering queries.

And for their console breakings...well they did give 3 year extended warranties, and they repair service is top notch, the damaged consoles people get on return are due to couriers...ms didnt send you back a broken console.

and they do all of this free of charge for repairs....and even in instances where warranties are out they still give most people free repairs ( have had 3 friends get it for free)

The 3 year warranty is because of a design flaw in the console. If they didn't do this, the Eu would have made them recall millions of consoles for replacement. It isnt' fair play, its the least they could do after releasing a console with a massive design flaw and an unacceptable failure rate.
    and when problems have being encountered on ms side ( losing arcade games randomly, dodgy discs gamertag deleted etc ) ms support have been very good to react, giving free live, ms points and games.

its just the typical scenario, the bad stories always come to light, cant remember seeing a post giving fair dues to MS for their efforts.

well heres mine

Every contact ive had with Ms customer support by phone and email ( roughly ten times in the past month due to setting up friends machines) have been extremely helpful, fair play

I've never had to contact Ms support and hopefully never will so I'm not going to comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

xbox live is supposed to be a community but is run too much like a business...

thats a very nieve statement and im sure if you re-read it you would understand.

Companies do not do things out of the goodness of their hearts in this sort of matter.

Sony dont make it free because they really deep down love us, its because they want to try shift their consoles. Live is an integral core function of the xbox business.

having a community is the benefit of it, not the purpose.

if it was built for a community purpose functions would be available to let us play with only people from a certain region in publc games....and seemingly that hoped feature is in the hands on dr.phil :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

xbox live is supposed to be a community but is run too much like a business...

thats a very nieve statement and im sure if you re-read it you would understand.

Companies do not do things out of the goodness of their hearts in this sort of matter.

:P

That's fine, they shouldn't expect their customers to take the service being down then.

If they acted like a community and better interacted and communicated with the community better, the community would be more understanding of errors/mistakes/problems.

The way its setup is way too corporate for it to ever become a proper community IMO. I know its Ms but that doesn't mean they have to treat it like every other part of their business. Their are plenty of companies that would do a better job of building a community than the way Ms have done it. I think they've limited Live with a lot of their decisions and in the end they've lost profit because of some of their decisions in the long run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Undertow is awful, really awful.

Tbh i dont think its n acceptable response from MS. If the issue was with XBL which we have all paid for, then some credit for XBL would have been more appropriate. I didnt buy an xbox to play 8/16-bit games. **

** note that im an old man at 30 and as you see from my gamertag its ok to play retro-get-in-touch-with-my-childhood-games on XBL but not crappy 8/16-bit games without nostalgic value!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Undertow is fairly brutal, was hoping for something like SWOS as the free game.

They must have paid more money to the advertising firm who wrote the description of the game rather than actually programming a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I played it last night, it was pretty good, and free. Mind you there's no way you'd know to get it unless you've been reading up about the Xbox Live problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

bollox i forgot to download this free game i've heard its awful but for free i'll take it even though it wont make up for the outages over xmas...
    Anyway I can still get this or have i missed the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

neacy69 wrote: »
    Anyway I can still get this or have i missed the chance

I think it was only for 48 hours or something man. You're not missing too much imo, i played it for 5mins and got bored! it should be called underwhelmed instead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think it was only for 48 hours or something man.
    Nah, think it was from Wednesday to a Sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Undertow is beyond awful.
    Never I have ever encountered such toss. Easily known Microsoft were giving it away for nothing.
    Should have rung them up and chanced my arm saying I had it already.
    Anyone have any idea what they gave people who unfortunately PAID for undertow?

Advertisement