Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

run 3 pin plug from cigarete lighter,????

• 18-01-2008 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

is it possible to buy something that allows me run laptop from cigarette lighter, the one in halfords seems to suggest for charging the laptop only, and might melt if operating the laptop, any tips appreciated..work from car...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes. Prices vary depending on the load you are going to put on it. Check your laptop manual to find out the power demand - I'd expect it to be less than 200W.

Buy one that has a CONTINUOUS rating (not peak) of at least that value.

ALDI had loads of small ones recently (no longer on their website, but may still have stock) - I'd expect they were cheaper than Halfords.

Some units require a separate earth connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeyNT

Yes, you need an inverter. They work a treat for all sorts of electrical appliances.

I have one which I've only used about once or twice and for that reason I'd be interested in selling it. It has 2 x 3-pin sockets. It's a high rated one which I bought in the UK for a tad over €100 - as new.....in case you were interested, I'd give you a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

blackbox wrote: »
    ALDI had loads of small ones recently (no longer on their website, but may still have stock) - I'd expect they were cheaper than Halfords.

ALDI in Rathmines, Dublin, still had them last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭Invincible

The unit in Aldi was on sale from Dec 20th.
    230V AC, power output : 150 watts,USB port,designed to sit in cupholder.
    "Ideal for charging powertool batteries,digital cameras,mobile phones and powering laptops too" .euro 25.99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Aldi in Celbridge still has loads. Bought one meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I bought one in Tesco in the UK a few months ago. the only annoying thing about them is the cooling fan, which can be noisy. I buried mine in the dash as it's powering a media drive. handy little item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the only annoying thing about them is the cooling fan, which can be noisy.
    The Aldi one has a fan, and it's noisy. Can be heard if the engine is off.

On the plus side the unit itself is shaped like a coke can and is designed to sit in a cup holder, and it's only €25!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I have an APC inverter, its about the size of a 250g block of butter. I got it to use on long flights but it also has an adapter for cigarette socket use. I've used it on both with perfect results.

Inverters are notoriously prone to failure. If its critical, pay more & get a good one. The APC version has no fan and cost around E100.

Advertisement